Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm still so confused as to how I write an as sociology aqa question and I am doing families and household. So would I start off with an intro and what should I write in my intro? What should the essay mainly contain, theorists? As my teacher told me to include as much as I can, but I am a so confused about the structure of the essay?

ReputationRep:
    My sociology teacher taught me and my class that at the start of an essay question you should brainstorm all the different key terms and theories which are associated with the question. After that you should define the key term in the question. E.g for the question 'Discuss how far sociologists would agree that changing social attitudes are the main reason for changes in the divorce rate over the past 50 years' you'd define marriage. You would then do one section of your essay which is agreeing with the statement which was included in the question while using the key terms you wrote earlier to help yourself structure your answer. You should always try to include any theories you can in your paragraphs, for this question you could say that feminism has reduced the social stigma attached to women who get divorces as in the past people who got divorces would often be ostracized. After this you should write a paragraph which is disagreeing with the question while still using the key terms you wrote at the start to help yourself structure your answer. For this question you could talk about changes in the legal aspects on marriage. You could mention that the 1971 the Divorce Reform Act broadly widened the grounds for which a partner could file a divorce over after a total of two years of marriage and that the 1984 Matrimonial and Family Proceedings Act changed this to only 1 year. You may also be able to link this to the theory of functionalism as they believe that society functions for the good of everybody in society and these laws apply to everybody in society helping them to get divorces. After this you would do a conclusion which addresses the 'how far' part of the question by debating in the question which one of the factors is the biggest cause of the increase in divorce in the last 50 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrison Mauds)
    My sociology teacher taught me and my class that at the start of an essay question you should brainstorm all the different key terms and theories which are associated with the question. After that you should define the key term in the question. E.g for the question 'Discuss how far sociologists would agree that changing social attitudes are the main reason for changes in the divorce rate over the past 50 years' you'd define marriage. You would then do one section of your essay which is agreeing with the statement which was included in the question while using the key terms you wrote earlier to help yourself structure your answer. You should always try to include any theories you can in your paragraphs, for this question you could say that feminism has reduced the social stigma attached to women who get divorces as in the past people who got divorces would often be ostracized. After this you should write a paragraph which is disagreeing with the question while still using the key terms you wrote at the start to help yourself structure your answer. For this question you could talk about changes in the legal aspects on marriage. You could mention that the 1971 the Divorce Reform Act broadly widened the grounds for which a partner could file a divorce over after a total of two years of marriage and that the 1984 Matrimonial and Family Proceedings Act changed this to only 1 year. You may also be able to link this to the theory of functionalism as they believe that society functions for the good of everybody in society and these laws apply to everybody in society helping them to get divorces. After this you would do a conclusion which addresses the 'how far' part of the question by debating in the question which one of the factors is the biggest cause of the increase in divorce in the last 50 years.
    Thank you so much, I understand it much better as you said it in a much simpler form. Another question is how many theorists should I include? And should I put as much as I can, keeping in mind I have roughly 25 minutes to complete one of the essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1998)
    Thank you so much, I understand it much better as you said it in a much simpler form. Another question is how many theorists should I include? And should I put as much as I can, keeping in mind I have roughly 25 minutes to complete one of the essays?
    You should try to include one in each of your points but if you can't manage that, one should definitely be your minimum amount of theories

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any previous essays i could see just to get my head around it? I am a private candidate so before i go to the exam on Tuesday i would like to see a previous essay. Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.