Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I came across 2 very unusual (and possibly hard AS questions) from a C2 paper.

Question.pdf

Question corrected typos.pdf

The version you see here is my modified version which I just added to my resources.

I will put solutions up soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I came across 2 very unusual (and possibly hard AS questions) from a C2 paper.

Attachment 394767

The version you see here is my modified version which I just added to my resources.

I will put solutions up soon.
    Interesting questions! The second one looks like a lot of sin/cosine rule at first glance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    Interesting questions! The second one looks like a lot of sin/cosine rule at first glance.
    clearly it is but how?

solutions soon

ReputationRep:
    Is this OCR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    clearly it is but how?

solutions soon
    Q2 was straightforward, Q1 looks more difficult. Can't believe I have nothing better to do at midnight on a Saturday than fun C2 maths

ReputationRep:
    Q2 was straightforward, Q1 looks more difficult. Can't believe I have nothing better to do at midnight on a Saturday than fun C2 maths
    No it is not straightforward ... I messed it up
    I missed a part
    ( ... the wine)

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board is this from? Don't even know where to start with either of them:confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    No it is not straightforward ... I messed it up
    I missed a part
    ( ... the wine)
    Blame the wine did Q1 too now (well I think I have, seeing as it isn't a show that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gec98)
    Which exam board is this from? Don't even know where to start with either of them:confused::confused:
    Which one do you need a hint on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    Is this OCR?
    not OCR

ReputationRep:

(Original post by gec98)

(Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    Is this OCR?
    amended file there

ReputationRep:
    Both of them really!
    Q1 I've never seen anything with letters and tan or whatever it's getting at haha
    Q2 I don't understand where you'd start cause with sine and cosine rules you need angles and you haven't got any

Probably because it's late at night but still it's going to really bug me haha, hopefully this isn't from OCR MEI? Otherwise I'm screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gec98)
    Both of them really!
    Q1 I've never seen anything with letters and tan or whatever it's getting at haha
    Q2 I don't understand where you'd start cause with sine and cosine rules you need angles and you haven't got any

Probably because it's late at night but still it's going to really bug me haha, hopefully this isn't from OCR MEI? Otherwise I'm screwed
    Q1: You can find alpha directly as it is given to you. Use this to form an equation in beta and gamma (angles in a triangle add up to...)

Q2: The only way you can find the area of ABD is using the area sine rule, so you need to find the angle at B.

ReputationRep:
    Q1: You can find alpha directly as it is given to you. Use this to form an equation in beta and gamma (angles in a triangle add up to...)

Q2: The only way you can find the area of ABD is using the area sine rule, so you need to find the angle at B.
    That's great thanks got Q2 now but Q1 is a mystery haha! If this came up in a C2 exam I may cry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gec98)
    That's great thanks got Q2 now but Q1 is a mystery haha! If this came up in a C2 exam I may cry!
    How much progress have you made on Q1? these definitely wouldn't be in a C2 exam don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    How much progress have you made on Q1? these definitely wouldn't be in a C2 exam don't worry!
    Worked out alpha but for beta and gamma I just don't understand how you get them? I'm not your A* maths candidate so it's probably out of my reach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gec98)
    Worked out alpha but for beta and gamma I just don't understand how you get them? I'm not your A* maths candidate so it's probably out of my reach
    Of course its not out your reach!

ReputationRep:
    these are from an actual UK 2014 exam!!!

the second question I have made harder by removing one structured part.
    (LOOK AT THE AMENDED FILE in post 1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    these are from an actual UK 2014 exam!!!

the second question I have made harder by removing one structured part.
    (LOOK AT THE AMENDED FILE in post 1)
    Are they?! They look like questions you might get on an AEA paper. What is the difference in Q2? My laptop has died can't see the original pdf.

ReputationRep:
    Are they?! They look like questions you might get on an AEA paper. What is the difference in Q2? My laptop has died can't see the original pdf.
    Q2 is very very hard.

It is asking in part (a) to find AD
    then the area of ADB.

look at it tomorrow sometime and you are fresher.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.