Turn on thread page Beta

Discuss this voting system watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think? (I won't be offended)
    Amazing
    0%
    A step in the right direction
    28.57%
    Not bad, improvements could be made
    28.57%
    Awful
    42.86%

ReputationRep:
    So it essentially incorporates FPTP and PR.

The idea is if the party reaches 326 seats - this is the number of seats the party in power will have. The opposition benches will then be filled in PR. If 326 seats is not reached, PR will be for everyone.

I've done an excel map type thing showing you what it would look like. You can compare this with the 2015 excel seat map.

Yes I know there are limitations to this, but there's no harm in discussing.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 23.36.12BST.png
Views: 101
Size:  7.2 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Ok... but what i dont understand about the whole PR thing is that yea sure, number of votes = number of seats in the way uv shown it. BUT how do we know who wins what seat? UKIP won 4m votes? only 1 seat as the other parties beat them in that constituency. Therefore if, let say, UKIP get 40 seats from the PR system but lose all except one in each constituency how would that work? Thats all i dont get. Otherwise, i wouldn't mind it.
    What i saw this election was many people voted for Tory or SNP to get rid of UKIP which would have been many labour supporters. Also people that maybe labour supporters in Tory safe seats may not bother or be 'sheep' and vote Tory since their vote is practically irrelevant. I believe if the PR was for this year,Labour would win.
    (i'm a labour supporter fyi :P )

ReputationRep:
    Here's my question... how many of you went out and campaigned for your party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velocity_)
    Ok... but what i dont understand about the whole PR thing is that yea sure, number of votes = number of seats in the way uv shown it. BUT how do we know who wins what seat? UKIP won 4m votes? only 1 seat as the other parties beat them in that constituency. Therefore if, let say, UKIP get 40 seats from the PR system but lose all except one in each constituency how would that work? Thats all i dont get. Otherwise, i wouldn't mind it.
    What i saw this election was many people voted for Tory or SNP to get rid of UKIP which would have been many labour supporters. Also people that maybe labour supporters in Tory safe seats may not bother or be 'sheep' and vote Tory since their vote is practically irrelevant. I believe if the PR was for this year,Labour would win.
    (i'm a labour supporter fyi :P )
    trust me on this one, people never voted SNP to get rid of UKIP..

l have no idea where you get that idea.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I support PR as a matter of principal, it can actually be a very bad system, as you will almost always end up with coalition governments, and stuff just won't get done. My idea would be a fixed number of seats for each party i.e. the party with the most votes gets say 55% of seats, second place party gets 30%, third gets maybe 10% etc. The only problem would be allocating constituencies. Opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazzagoalie)
    Whilst I support PR as a matter of principal, it can actually be a very bad system, as you will almost always end up with coalition governments, and stuff just won't get done. My idea would be a fixed number of seats for each party i.e. the party with the most votes gets say 55% of seats, second place party gets 30%, third gets maybe 10% etc. The only problem would be allocating constituencies. Opinions on this?
    What makes you think coalitions are a bad thing? And that stuff getting done is necessarily a good thing? The thing about coalitions is that they can force both parties to compromise, which is helpful because pretty much every voter will have issues with some of their party's policies.

A majority government just getting things done is not very good or democratic when the voting system is hideously unrepresentative. If a fairer voting system results in coalitions, surely that is 100% the fault of the main parties for not gaining the support and trust of enough voters, rather than the fault of the voting system through which that protest was expressed? Smaller parties become popular for a reason, and the main parties should do something about it.

My idea would be to have larger multi member constituencies with several elected MPs. A bit like with the European elections, where you have at least several MEPs elected to one region. It gives smaller parties a voice. And it means that if one of your MPs is useless, you have others you can go to with your concerns instead. The only problem I can think of is if any of them resign or defect - under FPTP there would be an easy by election, but that wouldn't work with this system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    What makes you think coalitions are a bad thing? And that stuff getting done is necessarily a good thing? The thing about coalitions is that they can force both parties to compromise, which is helpful because pretty much every voter will have issues with some of their party's policies.

A majority government just getting things done is not very good or democratic when the voting system is hideously unrepresentative. If a fairer voting system results in coalitions, surely that is 100% the fault of the main parties for not gaining the support and trust of enough voters, rather than the fault of the voting system through which that protest was expressed? Smaller parties become popular for a reason, and the main parties should do something about it.

My idea would be to have larger multi member constituencies with several elected MPs. A bit like with the European elections, where you have at least several MEPs elected to one region. It gives smaller parties a voice. And it means that if one of your MPs is useless, you have others you can go to with your concerns instead. The only problem I can think of is if any of them resign or defect - under FPTP there would be an easy by election, but that wouldn't work with this system.
    I think the main danger of true PR is that you could end up with 3 or 4 parties in coalition. This would just be chaos. With my idea, you could adjust the number of seats for each party, so maybe 1st place gets 51%. That way, the majority is small, so you have to compromise a bit just to appease all of your MPs, and there is still a chance of your government being outvoted

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.