Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

i showed my bf a picture of my mum when she was young... Watch

and he said she was hot and grinned
    it made me very upset as he usually just calls me pretty or beautiful but not hot. should I bring it up with him?

ReputationRep:
    ask him if she's a 'mother he would like to ****' though - 'tis the only way to know if you should dump him

ReputationRep:
    would you really want to be called hot instead of beautiful?

ReputationRep:
    I thought beautiful was better than hot? It suggests both physical and emotional attractiveness as opposed to hot which is purely physical. Plus, yanoe, you've got your mum's genes which makes you at least 50% hot I'm guessing but I don't do biology.

ReputationRep:
    Need to see picture to be certain....

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like someone is slightly to needy.

ReputationRep:
    pics for proof?

ReputationRep:
    pretty/beautiful > hot

fyi

ReputationRep:
    id say this just as a joke dont be so serious

ReputationRep:
    Come on she's your mother. Don't take it to heart. I'd prefer to be called beautiful personally.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair you asked him one of those questions to which there is no "right" answer although I'm sure you did it innocently. Whatever answer he gave could have been taken the wrong way or caused offence.

Seriously though it's not a big deal forget it.

ReputationRep:
    ... maybe it was a joke?
    So much depends on context. So really, we can't advice v well lol.
    I imagine the fact that that bothered you would be reflecting something you're not happy about in the relationship generally - rather than the fact that he called your mum hot.

ReputationRep:
    If he's saying 'hot' it means its an off the cuff, trivial remark. Beautiful is certainly more meaningful.

ReputationRep:
    Hot suggests shes got either a curvaceous booty or voluptuous melons and a decent face. I reckon he would dump you for your mum if she offered to suck him off
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more concerned if you showed your bf a picture of your dad and he made the same comment.

ReputationRep:
    i knew this was gonna be a car wreck

i wouldn't really be bothered tbh , but i've sat through a lot worse. at the end of the day your mum is old now - you're the young version :P

ReputationRep:
    I got reported for this lol. If youd rather blame me than accept that you have extreme insecurities go ahead. Who needs reality am I right? Enjoy cloud cuckoo land!

ReputationRep:
    I see you're a glass is half empty kinda person. What would you have deemed an acceptable reply? If he said pretty would you also get upset?

ReputationRep:
    I say girls are hot, but I wouldn't (usually) want to date them
    If I say you're beautiful, than that's more meaningful.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 14, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.