Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

People earning over £60000 should have a 0.8 to the pound tax rate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    For the vast majority of pupils, a 30 year-old text-book - which will almost certainly not cover areas being tested, and cover areas not being tested - is not good enough. Updated text-books and resources are incredibly important, teachers are not enough.
    You've got to make do with what you got.

Your alternative is to do nothing at all and those are the people who generally fail.

What a cop-out. You have no idea what the prevalence of the effect you describe is, do you? That's what happens when you pull naive generalisations like that out of your arse.
    k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SotonianOne)
    You've got to make do with what you got.

Your alternative is to do nothing at all and those are the people who generally fail.
    Another cop-out. Instead of tackling real problems let's just throw up our arms and say "Life isn't fair."

I haven't suggested doing nothing, the point is it's not a level playing-field.

ReputationRep:
    Another cop-out. Instead of tackling real problems let's just throw up our arms and say "Life isn't fair."

'A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverasvoltaire)
    'A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.'
    Making up-to-date text-books available to students isn't putting equality over freedom. Looks like you're not as clever as Voltaire after all.

As an aside, just because Milton Friedman said it doesn't mean it's true.

ReputationRep:
    Making up-to-date text-books available to students isn't putting equality over freedom. Looks like you're not as clever as Voltaire after all.

As an aside, just because Milton Friedman said it doesn't mean it's true.
    Well I would disagree with your last point.

ReputationRep:

Another criminal out.

There is no real problem, therefore there is no solution. People are poor, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    £12k disposable income from a £60k/year job? Get stuffed. I would rather it be 80 pence to the pound for those earning more than £300k per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Most people under 40 can't even afford a three bedroom house on that salary in London & the South. Hardly wealthy.

Wealth Tax is more effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    £300,000K has can be achieved on £60k a year.........

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.