Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

People earning over £60000 should have a 0.8 to the pound tax rate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockham jaynsaw)
    Do you have many poor friends at Harrow? I'm glad to hear the scholarship scheme seems to be better than it was. When I applied a few years ago, there was 1 partial scholarship available.
    I only joined after GCSE, I went to a private school before and there are friends there I speak to regularly. The scholarship scheme is still awful, alas. The school I was at before though had a good scholarship scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverasvoltaire)
    I only joined after GCSE, I went to a private school before and there are friends there I speak to regularly. The scholarship scheme is still awful, alas. The school I was at before though had a good scholarship scheme.
    Awesome! What did you chose for your spring term elective?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Careful, you're arguing with a future Cambridge University student of the law who will go on to work in a top magic circle chambers and earn £70k in his first year of work. Weren't you listening to him? This 17 year old who hasn't even finished his AS-levels clearly knows far more about this than us plebs.
    very shocked youre not supporting a fellow law student :eek: although he seems a bit delusional yes

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! What did you chose for your spring term elective?
    Greats of European philosophy. Bloomin' interesting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xin Xang)
    And you're on TSR because?
    it made sence to fill the social void in my life with stuff other than cash

ReputationRep:
    Greats of European philosophy. Bloomin' interesting stuff.
    Sounds it! Who did you read?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    it made sence to fill the social void in my life with stuff other than cash
    That makes total sense. And of course, TSR is the best place to interact with like minded business people who are in the top 5% of earners.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds it! Who did you read?
    Plato, Hume, Mill, Wittgenstein, Aquinas and Augustine among others.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you outrageous right wing scum. Allowing the middle classes to keep their money? You HEARTLESS SELFISH DEGENERATE. You Tory scum. You cruel Eton toff. You are everything wrong with society, I don't know how you can sleep at night having voted for anything other than a £1.50 tax band for all earnings over £60,000. I can't believe that, in the 21st Century, we still live in a country where anyone thinks that a mere 80p tax rate and anything short of total nationalisation of all business and redistribution of wealth to unemployed and non-white non-male population is even vaguely sociably acceptable. You disgust me.

ReputationRep:
    On principle I agree. I don't think people need that much money, and it certainly isn't fair that some people have such excessive amounts while there are huge numbers struggling to make ends meet. Often really wealthy people come from wealthy backgrounds, while other people don't have anywhere near the opportunities, and so stay much worse off.

However, if we massively increase tax on the super rich, they will just emigrate to avoid paying tax. And so I suppose I would rather more people were taxed quite a lot than a smaller number of people being taxed highly. What we really need to do is crack down on corporations like Starbucks and their tax avoidance, but similarly I would rather see them pay small amounts as they currently do than pay none as they've moved abroad.

ReputationRep:
    bloody true I was gonna say 14 A* is preposterous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notathuggee)
    bloody true I was gonna say 14 A* is preposterous
    Not really...

ReputationRep:
    Not really...
    Your name would be in newspapers if you did get 14A*
    If you'd be so kind as to tell us your name, we can quickly verify your posturing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    very shocked youre not supporting a fellow law student :eek: although he seems a bit delusional yes
    I'm not a law student. I think it's pretty silly to study law at university if you want a career at the Bar - it makes it needlessly and significantly harder to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notathuggee)
    Your name would be in newspapers if you did get 14A*
    If you'd be so kind as to tell us your name, we can quickly verify your posturing.
    There's another kid at Harrow with 15 A*s, and why on earth would I give out my name on an anonymous internet forum where I have posted occasionally right wing/controversial things when I want to go into politics and law in the future?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a law student. I think it's pretty silly to study law at university if you want a career at the Bar - it makes it needlessly and significantly harder to succeed.
    oh! what do you study if you dont mind me asking? meh, laws tough enough as a career, the degree is tough so true, study something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    You'd let them keep 20p in every pound? They don't need it, they already have enough. It should be at least 90%.
    Who are you to say what's enough?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it will disadvantage me too much. Also doing plentiful work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    oh! what do you study if you dont mind me asking? meh, laws tough enough as a career, the degree is tough so true, study something else.
    It's more about the fact that first class degrees are usually awarded to single percentage points of students at top universities for law, whereas other degrees that are still academically respected by the Bar go up to the likes of 45%, and a first is quite an important advantage in getting pupillage, or so I've heard. I was studying English at Bristol but disliked it so much that I am now re-applying elsewhere for 2016 entry, probably for linguistics but possibly for philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    if this thing is implemented, every person who earns over £60k is going to go abroad...

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.