Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Luis Suarez Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Hazard doesn't have the consistent finishing ability to score that many goals, at all. Neymar is proven to be a better finisher.

And Neymar is just playing his role for Barca. With Brazil he gets more freedom and plays better because he's allowed to; for Barca he's less creator and more scorer, and he plays out wide, and that stifles his game a little. The fact that he can score 0.75 goals a game as a scorer (which is world class), and also be a world class creator-scorer for Brazil is just indicative of versatility and all round talents.

Name me a better player?
    No, nothing suggests to me that Neymar is a better finisher than Hazard. Don't you get it? Hazard is the Iniesta/Messi of Chelsea, the creator of chances (as shown by his chances created stats), he isn't in the position to finish off moves from 1v1's vs keepers like Neymar. So bringing up goal stats doesn't mean anything to me. When Hazard does get into 1v1's (think Hazard vs DDG), he finishes them off confidently. So there's no evidence that Neymar is a better finisher than Hazard. You can argue Neymar is better at long-range shots than Hazard, but I've seen Hazard score from distance as well (vs Stoke a few seasons back and against Hull this season). It's just not in his normal nature to shoot from distance, but if he was told to shoot more often, you'd be surprised how good he is at shooting with both his right foot and his weaker left foot. In fact, both of his long range wonder goals came from his supposedly weaker left-foot.

I just think Barca will be a level higher if Hazard played for Barca instead of Neymar. He is better at dribbling than Neymar, almost as good as Messi. Takes players out of the game and creates so much space for others. To me, Neymar is literally a striker for Barcelona now, not even a winger. Hazard is much more than a winger for Chelsea, he's an AM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am_blue)
    No, nothing suggests to me that Neymar is a better finisher than Hazard. Don't you get it? Hazard is the Iniesta/Messi of Chelsea, the creator of chances (as shown by his chances created stats), he isn't in the position to finish off moves from 1v1's vs keepers like Neymar. So bringing up goal stats doesn't mean anything to me. When Hazard does get into 1v1's (think Hazard vs DDG), he finishes them off confidently. So there's no evidence that Neymar is a better finisher than Hazard. You can argue Neymar is better at long-range shots than Hazard, but I've seen Hazard score from distance as well (vs Stoke a few seasons back and against Hull this season). It's just not in his normal nature to shoot from distance, but if he was told to shoot more often, you'd be surprised how good he is at shooting with both his right foot and his weaker left foot. In fact, both of his long range wonder goals came from his supposedly weaker left-foot.

I just think Barca will be a level higher if Hazard played for Barca instead of Neymar. He is better at dribbling than Neymar, almost as good as Messi. Takes players out of the game and creates so much space for others. To me, Neymar is literally a striker for Barcelona now, not even a winger. Hazard is much more than a winger for Chelsea, he's an AM
    If Barca wanted Neymar to play as a playmaker, then they'd ask that of him. And he could pull that off with aplomb, seeing as he does that for Brazil so brilliantly. But Messi already fills a playmaker role there, so Neymar is asked to play further up the pitch. And he does that job brilliantly. Hazard could not do it to the same standard, from what we know of him right now. Neymar is scoring at 1 in every 4 shots this season, Hazard one in every 6 when you remove penalties. There's a distinct difference there, and the rate of shots from outside the box are roughly the same.
    http://www.squawka.com/comparison-ma...utside_area#90

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    They were restricted to friendlies as hosts yeah, just think it needed to be pointed out that most of them were not competitive goals.

If he has another season like this next year, then he will be up there with Suarez and the like.
    Hell it's not like teams in friendlies were giving goals away for free. Better scoring in friendlies against France than qualifiers against Bolivia, eg.

Suarez and Robben are, imo, a level above him. But of the next batch, I personally think he's the best; just because he can be a world class scorer as well as a world class scorer-creator. If someone was to say Neuer, Lahm, maybe Modric, then I wouldn't argue too much really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I'd probably take a prime Suarez over a prime Eto'o tbh.

Agree on your top five though. Maybe Neuer should be in there somewhere.
    It's pretty close, Eto'o scored a real ****load of goals without the set pieces of his competitors, and did it for a longer period, won two trebles. Imo too often wrote off as a RVN type, when his goal in the CL final, amongst others, clearly shows that he wasn't. Although Eto'o defo couldn't have done what Suarez did for Liverpool.

Yeah like I said above, wouldn't begrudge anyone for picking Neuer or Lahm ahead of Neymar.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Suarez offer so, so much more than just goals. Him - in his prime - would be comfortably above Eto'o in any manager's wishlist, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Suarez offer so, so much more than just goals. Him - in his prime - would be comfortably above Eto'o in any manager's wishlist, surely?
    It's pretty close, Eto'o scored a real ****load of goals without the set pieces of his competitors, and did it for a longer period, won two trebles. Imo too often wrote off as a RVN type, when his goal in the CL final, amongst others, clearly shows that he wasn't. Although Eto'o defo couldn't have done what Suarez did for Liverpool.

Yeah like I said above, wouldn't begrudge anyone for picking Neuer or Lahm ahead of Neymar.
    Eto'o in his prime isn't even close to Suarez in his prime imo. Suarez is much more than a goalscorer. Let's put this into context, do you really think Eto'o in his prime could single-handedly nearly win the title for Liverpool with the squad they had? I agree with someone said before, he makes everyone around him 10-20% better because of his work rate, his attitude, his confidence. Players around him believe that they'll win because they have Suarez playing for them. Defenders were terrified of him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Eto'o in his prime isn't even close to Suarez in his prime imo. Suarez is much more than a goalscorer. Let's put this into context, do you really think Eto'o in his prime could single-handedly nearly win the title for Liverpool with the squad they had? I agree with someone said before, he makes everyone around him 10-20% better because of his work rate, his attitude, his confidence. Players around him believe that they'll win because they have Suarez playing for them. Defenders were terrified of him.
    This pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    I already said that Eto'o couldn't have done what Suarez did. That doesn't mean that in a different set up, Eto'o couldn't contribute more. His career achievements can't be argued with. Three Champions Leagues. Two CL final goals. A CL final MOTM. Two AFCONs. The only player in European history to win two trebles. I didn't, btw, in my original statement necessarily mean that prime Suarez was worse than prime Eto'o, they're pretty similar in my eyes.

I'm a Liverpool fan, and Suarez is my favourite player ever, you don't have to tell me about him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    they're pretty similar in my eyes.
    I completely disagree actually. I reckon Eto'o is much more suited as a lone focal point. I think the pair could work in tandem with Suarez just behind, but Suarez has a propensity to run around madly like a dog winning balls back and retaining possession, while Eto'o is much better in the box but I doubt he'd have the same ability outside it. That said, maybe that's just Eto'o twilight clouding my judgement because it was a long time ago he was in his prime.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree actually. I reckon Eto'o is much more suited as a lone focal point. I think the pair could work in tandem with Suarez just behind, but Suarez has a propensity to run around madly like a dog winning balls back and retaining possession, while Eto'o is much better in the box but I doubt he'd have the same ability outside it. That said, maybe that's just Eto'o twilight clouding my judgement because it was a long time ago he was in his prime.
    Pretty similar in status, rather than playing style. However, Eto'o was magnificent outside of the box too; in Inter's treble winning season he was predominantly played out wide, often as a deeper LM in a 4-2-3-1, and when playing with 10 men against Barca, he was actually at full/wingback.

Like I say, Eto'o gets made out to be some kind of RVN type of player. He's really not. He was great outside of the box too. I've never actually said that he'd be better than Suarez, just that they're pretty close. Not that I'm comparing them for playing style, just dispelling this idea of Eto'o being a penalty box only player. Look at his goal in the CL final vs United and the player that comes to mind first just happens to be a certain Luis Suarez.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pretty similar in status, rather than playing style. However, Eto'o was magnificent outside of the box too; in Inter's treble winning season he was predominantly played out wide, often as a deeper LM in a 4-2-3-1, and when playing with 10 men against Barca, he was actually at full/wingback.

Like I say, Eto'o gets made out to be some kind of RVN type of player. He's really not. He was great outside of the box too. I've never actually said that he'd be better than Suarez, just that they're pretty close. Not that I'm comparing them for playing style, just dispelling this idea of Eto'o being a penalty box only player. Look at his goal in the CL final vs United and the player that comes to mind first just happens to be a certain Luis Suarez.
    Never saw much of Eto'o at Inter to be honest, and I struggle to separate the Eto'o I saw at Chelsea from the Barcelona prime version. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've written, just that I can't tell based on my own cloudy memory. One thing's for sure: I wouldn't take ANY striker in my lifetime over Suarez, in terms of all-round contribution to a game of football.

ReputationRep:
    Never saw much of Eto'o at Inter to be honest, and I struggle to separate the Eto'o I saw at Chelsea from the Barcelona prime version. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've written, just that I can't tell based on my own cloudy memory. One thing's for sure: I wouldn't take ANY striker in my lifetime over Suarez, in terms of all-round contribution to a game of football.
    Well fair enough, but Eto'o at Chelsea was of course a shadow of the player that won two trebles, two afcons, and another CL on top of it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well fair enough, but Eto'o at Chelsea was of course a shadow of the player that won two trebles, two afcons, and another CL on top of it.
    Oh, of course. One of my favourite goals from Eto'o was that lovely curled finish from outside the box at the Nou Camp back in the day for Barcelona.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.