Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Social Anxiety Watch

I've gotten really stressed out during school and was thinking of transferring out of my program and dropping courses because I have a huge fear of failure. I've told a bunch of tutors and counsellors for their advice and have gotten accommodations and a huge bell curve which I don't think I deserve. I did horribly on my finals because of anxiety, was freaking out about changing majors and failing, and the entire faculty hates me. I have no idea what else I should transfer into.. considering dropping out of uni...

I've lost all my friends because I keep annoying them with my worries. I am unemployed. A potential uni drop out if I don't decide on my studies soon for fall. My family thinks I'm a failure and keeps asking what I want to study. I sleep a lot but always wake up anxious. Whenever I keep thinking of my future, I get tired and then cry to sleep.

Sometimes I wish I never existed.

Damn, I have social anxiety and my work often suffers as a result as well. I don't really have much advice, but you could try changing your course and do something you might enjoy?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've gotten really stressed out during school and was thinking of transferring out of my program and dropping courses because I have a huge fear of failure. I've told a bunch of tutors and counsellors for their advice and have gotten accommodations and a huge bell curve which I don't think I deserve. I did horribly on my finals because of anxiety, was freaking out about changing majors and failing, and the entire faculty hates me. I have no idea what else I should transfer into.. considering dropping out of uni...

I've lost all my friends because I keep annoying them with my worries. I am unemployed. A potential uni drop out if I don't decide on my studies soon for fall. My family thinks I'm a failure and keeps asking what I want to study. I sleep a lot but always wake up anxious. Whenever I keep thinking of my future, I get tired and then cry to sleep.

Sometimes I wish I never existed.
    Hey, hey, first of all, don't say you wish you never existed. What's important is that you're here, you exist and you make something of yourself.

What major are you currently doing and what would you change to, if you did? I'm sure the faculty doesn't hate you, it's hard knowing 100% what you want to do at this stage of your life! Happens to the best of us. :hugs:

(Original post by Mochassassin)
    Hey, hey, first of all, don't say you wish you never existed. What's important is that you're here, you exist and you make something of yourself.

What major are you currently doing and what would you change to, if you did? I'm sure the faculty doesn't hate you, it's hard knowing 100% what you want to do at this stage of your life! Happens to the best of us. :hugs:
    I'm a year one arch student at a really good uni. Makes me feel really guilty to consider leaving because I don't know what else to do.. I just know that I dont feel comfortable cause everyone probably thinks I'm a flake or weak to not be able to handle the pressure of studio. I know its bad but I tend to avoid people and work because I'm worried that I'll suck... I don't know what to do with my life..

I'm a year one arch student at a really good uni. Makes me feel really guilty to consider leaving because I don't know what else to do.. I just know that I dont feel comfortable cause everyone probably thinks I'm a flake or weak to not be able to handle the pressure of studio. I know its bad but I tend to avoid people and work because I'm worried that I'll suck... I don't know what to do with my life..
    You shouldn't feel guilty for something you have no control over. It sounds to me like it's just the university experience which isn't for you, and that's totally okay!
    Take a year out, figure out what you want to do with your life. Travel, volunteer, get a job. You must have gotten good grades to get into a good university in the first place...which means it's not the end of the world! You're never too old to learn and you can apply for university in the future if need be.
    Don't worry about what people think. It's your life, your degree and in the end, you'll be providing for yourself, not them.

(Original post by Mochassassin)
    You shouldn't feel guilty for something you have no control over. It sounds to me like it's just the university experience which isn't for you, and that's totally okay!
    Take a year out, figure out what you want to do with your life. Travel, volunteer, get a job. You must have gotten good grades to get into a good university in the first place...which means it's not the end of the world! You're never too old to learn and you can apply for university in the future if need be.
    Don't worry about what people think. It's your life, your degree and in the end, you'll be providing for yourself, not them.
    I asked my counsellor and told him I was considering going into another design related but he doesn't think I can handle it because of my anxiety and its the same stress and workload. My parents think I can handle it. Deep down I know I can do whatever I want if I try really hard. I really do love art and design since It's been my life for a very long time. But I am so confused...

I asked my counsellor and told him I was considering going into another design related but he doesn't think I can handle it because of my anxiety and its the same stress and workload. My parents think I can handle it. Deep down I know I can do whatever I want if I try really hard. I really do love art and design since It's been my life for a very long time. But I am so confused...
    If you think you can handle it, then go for it! Don't let other people's opinions influence your decision. You know best.
    I genuinely think you should take a year out. You could still apply for a art/design degree in a year's time, nobody's stopping you! I think some time out would be beneficial for you to take a breather, figure out what you really want to do, etc.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 13, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.