Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

My parents think I'm a slut Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockham jaynsaw)
    Well, for what it's worth, whatever your views. I had sex multiple times before 16 with multiple partners and not one pregnancy, not one STD. I just don't see the issue.

As for me only saying it because I had sex at 14, are you only saying it because you didn't? I think that's a very poor argument. You've rattled off a lot of rhetoric and emotional argument, ad homien and other fallacies. Could you provide something more concrete?

My argument is that the correlation between age of consent and teen pregnancy shows that being open about sex with teens reduces the negatives. Your argument talks about emotional preparedness without any real fact or stats to prove such assertions. Please, provide. Else your argument is all talk.
    That is your own anecdotal evidence. Just because you did it without STDs/STIs and without a pregnancy, does not mean that everyone else will be educated and emotionally intelligent enough to not only protect themselves but deal with the emotions about sex.

How concrete can it get, that 14 year olds should not be having sex? There is enough case law and statute that states that. There have been several cases where 14 year olds and 15 year olds have been convicted for having sex with their underage peers. Why were they convicted? Because they are not emotionally intelligent enough and mature enough to deal with the repercussions.

Tell me this, if you had got pregnant at 14 years old, do you think you would have been able to cope with it emotionally? I highly highly doubt it.

The law itself states that under 16s are not prepared enough for sex. Its common sense, at 14 years old you should be focused on your education and having fun with your friends. Why should a 14 year old be having sexual relations? For what benefit?

If you cannot deal with the risks and consequences of having sex, then it indicates that you are not ready for it.

A 16 year old can deal with the consequences, a 14 year old cannot. You can argue with me until you're blue in the face. The law isn't changing any time soon. This is not the Netherlands or Japan. So I don't even know why you were stating the age of consent of other countries. Do you live in those countries? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    That is your own anecdotal evidence. Just because you did it without STDs/STIs and without a pregnancy, does not mean that everyone else will be educated and emotionally intelligent enough to not only protect themselves but deal with the emotions about sex.

How concrete can it get, that 14 year olds should not be having sex? There is enough case law and statute that states that. There have been several cases where 14 year olds and 15 year olds have been convicted for having sex with their underage peers. Why were they convicted? Because they are not emotionally intelligent enough and mature enough to deal with the repercussions.

Tell me this, if you had got pregnant at 14 years old, do you think you would have been able to cope with it emotionally? I highly highly doubt it.

The law itself states that under 16s are not prepared enough for sex. Its common sense, at 14 years old you should be focused on your education and having fun with your friends. Why should a 14 year old be having sexual relations? For what benefit?

If you cannot deal with the risks and consequences of having sex, then it indicates that you are not ready for it.

A 16 year old can deal with the consequences, a 14 year old cannot. You can argue with me until you're blue in the face. The law isn't changing any time soon. This is not the Netherlands or Japan. So I don't even know why you were stating the age of consent of other countries. Do you live in those countries? No.
    Still no data. Argument not valid.

Thanks for your keyboard bashing, but I'm not responding to it without facts/data like I asked. Else, it's just moot.

ReputationRep:
    Still no data. Argument not valid.

Thanks for your keyboard bashing, but I'm not reading it without facts/data and not your own ideas.
    Where is your data? Please, where are your facts and figures that it is absolutely fine for 14 year olds to have sex? Nowhere to be found. You are giving me anecdotal evidence for what purpose?

If you want evidence, feel free to search up the case law of several underage children convicted and placed on the sex offender's register for having sex with other children.

You are just offended, that everyone else agrees with me.

ReputationRep:
    Where is your data? Please, where are your facts and figures that it is absolutely fine for 14 year olds to have sex? Nowhere to be found. You are giving me anecdotal evidence for what purpose?

If you want evidence, feel free to search up the case law of several underage children convicted and placed on the sex offender's register for having sex with other children.

You are just offended, that everyone else agrees with me.
    Absolutely not!
    That people disagree is neither here nor there.

Here is wikipedia on teen pregnancy prevelence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...ncy#Prevalence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of...ntry_or_region

Here is age of consent by region.

This negative correlation implies that being open about sex reduces teen pregnancy.
    your move.

The fact that people were put on the sex offender list for having sex with underage girls is not an argument for whether it's healthy to have sex under the age of 16 -- it only lets us know that the law is enforced.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not!
    That people disagree is neither here nor there.

Here is wikipedia on teen pregnancy prevelence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...ncy#Prevalence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of...ntry_or_region

Here is age of consent by region.

This negative correlation implies that being open about sex reduces teen pregnancy.
    your move.
    You're so naive, you are relying on unsubstantiated wikipedia as your proof? You quote wikipedia in your coursework too?

http://www.fpa.org.uk/sites/default/...ugust-2010.pdf sip on that tea.

Bye Girl.

ReputationRep:
    You're so naive, you are relying on unsubstantiated wikipedia as your proof? You quote wikipedia in your coursework too?

http://www.fpa.org.uk/sites/default/...ugust-2010.pdf sip on that tea.

Bye Girl.
    girl? I'm a dude.

Wikipedia has references linked at the bottom. Look at them. They are valid.

Also, your link links only to the UK. It says nothing to further your side of the argument so I think we're done here. The debate is whether underage sex is healthy... you just show teen pregnancy stats

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, this nonsense about sex being okay at bloody 14 years old! Read that! 14 years old!! What were you doing at 14 years old. 14 is the age you begin considering your GCSE options, that is Year 9. What does a 14 year old know about sex? Why are they engaging in sex? Sex should only happen between two mature individuals. If sex at 14 was soo good, then the age of consent would not be 16 in the UK. Absolute nonsense. Protected or unprotected, condoms are only 99% people seem to forget that. No contraception is 100%, if she got pregnant at 14 all of you agreeing with this behaviour would be singing a rather different tune.
    Oh God how quaint, please pass me the barf bucket. What a does a 14 year old know about sex? They know enough and they know how it works thanks to the internet, sex education and parental guidance. Let's not pretend that 14 year olds are little babies when we all know that 14 year olds today know way more about sex than 14 years olds did in the past. It's totally natural for two 14 year olds to have sex when they are both ready regardless of the age of consent being 16 in the UK and it's certainly no crime to have sex at that age since if it's a crime to have sex at that age so is snogging. Are you also against snogging? Lmao

Speaking of maturity children mature at different ages no two individuals are the same and if anything the OP's awareness of safe sex speaks volumes about her level maturity and understanding of protection. Condoms are not 100% safe granted but would they provide 100% when individuals turn 16, 17 or 18? Pregnancy is always a risk regardless of the age of the people involved so your point is moot. I think you're painting a wholly negative picture of an experience that is entirely natural and normal. When people put too many restrictions on something that is so Human it makes me wonder why they think they can sanction people's behaviour just because they think they know best.

And for the record if the OP got pregnant at 14 I wouldn't be singing a different tune, I would be supportive and empathetic.

ReputationRep:
    girl? I'm a dude.

Wikipedia has references linked at the bottom. Look at them. They are valid.

Also, your link links only to the UK. It says nothing to further your side of the argument so I think we're done here. The debate is whether underage sex is healthy... you just show teen pregnancy stats
    I am just going to entertain your naivety one last time, if having underage sex was so healthy why would the government set up all those programs to tackle it? Underage sex isn't healthy because the underage children cannot deal with the consequences. If it was absolutely fine, then programs would not have been set up in 2008 onwards to deal with the repercussions of underage sex .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daenerys...)
    Oh God how quaint, please pass me the barf bucket. What a does a 14 year old know about sex? They know enough and they know how it works thanks to the internet, sex education and parental guidance. Let's not pretend that 14 year olds are little babies when we all know that 14 year olds today know way more about sex than 14 years olds did in the past. It's totally natural for two 14 year olds to have sex when they are both ready regardless of the age of consent being 16 in the UK and it's certainly no crime to have sex at that age since if it's a crime to have sex at that age so is snogging. Are you also against snogging? Lmao

Speaking of maturity children mature at different ages no two individuals are the same and if anything the OP's awareness of safe sex speaks volumes about her level maturity and understanding of protection. Condoms are not 100% safe granted but would they provide 100% when individuals turn 16, 17 or 18? Pregnancy is always a risk regardless of the age of the people involved so your point is moot. I think you're painting a wholly negative picture of an experience that is entirely natural and normal. When people put too many restrictions on something that is so Human it makes me wonder why they think they can sanction people's behaviour just because they think they know best.

And for the record if the OP got pregnant at 14 I wouldn't be singing a different tune, I would be supportive and empathetic.
    Who is more equipped to deal with the consequences, a 14 year old or an individual that is above the age of 16?
    Girl please, there a loads of 14 year olds running around thinking they cannot catch STIs/STDs from oral sex.

Am I being trolled by the underage gang? :rolleyes:

You're very naive, do I really have to name cases where underage children have been convicted and placed on the sex offender's register for engaging in underage sex? Does snogging lead to pregnancy or risk of STDs/STIs aside from herpes? No. If having sex under the age of 16 is not illegal then what exactly is the age of consent there for? You have spoken about how it is there to protect underage children against adults, it is also there to protect underage children from the consequences of having sex.

I'm done, Good bye!

ReputationRep:
    I am just going to entertain your naivety one last time, if having underage sex was so healthy why would the government set up all those programs to tackle it? Underage sex isn't healthy because the underage children cannot deal with the consequences. If it was absolutely fine, then programs would not have been set up in 2008 onwards to deal with the repercussions of underage sex .
    Stop repeating yourself with rhetoric. It's meaningless. Unless the provisions in 2008 were lead by scientific research or other tangible data, the fact that politicians made a ruling is meaningless. It's filled with emotion and ideas that have no real basis except "It's obvious," as you put it.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well dabble a bit now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a crap that you had sex at 14, the way your parents are acting is out of order. Slut-shaming just isn't okay, and it shouldn't matter whether you were planning to use them or not - at least you're being safe! 'Slut' just isn't even a valid concept. If they yell at you, just tell them you weren't planning on using them and that you were told in sex ed to always keep them on you as a precaution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    I don't give a crap that you had sex at 14, the way your parents are acting is out of order. Slut-shaming just isn't okay, and it shouldn't matter whether you were planning to use them or not - at least you're being safe! 'Slut' just isn't even a valid concept. If they yell at you, just tell them you weren't planning on using them and that you were told in sex ed to always keep them on you as a precaution.
    Hey, it's my favourite Holiday Poster!

Occams.

Updated: May 10, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.