Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Laurie Penny defends war memorial vandalism Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good news everybody, one **** done something stupid so we can ignore why the rest of them are so pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Good news everybody, one **** done something stupid so we can ignore why the rest of them are so pissed off.
    It's not just that one person desecrated a memorial but that other high profile people such as Penny are defending it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    It's not just that one person desecrated a memorial but that other high profile people such as Penny are defending it.
    oh well, je suis Charlie.

ReputationRep:
    I would hardly call it feminism.

Feminists love to leech off and take credit for everything.

Same with the anti-racists who believe blacks can't succeed in anything other than sport without special help.

I'm sickened by vandalism of war memorials

But also I hate the way we glorify deadly wars. I also feel sorry for the Germans who are vilified a lot this time of year, when believe it or not most were no more evil than the average British person. Just people fighting for what they believed to be the good of their country.

ReputationRep:
    Penny is a deranged radical lunatic who only has a career in journalism because the Guardian and New Statesman need someone to write clickbait articles to generate ad revenue. She's a left wing Katie Hopkins.

ReputationRep:
    The graffiti '****ing Tory scum' is not remotely offensive to me when written on a grimy underpass, in fact it is positively life affirming. On a war memorial it is sickening, and the kind of thing that just discredits the left. Good idea love, let's lets let the right hijack all patriotism and have the left characterized as supporting this kind of thing....
    Total fool.

ReputationRep:
    She is symbolic of the modern liberal-left: authoritarian, hypocritical and just downright evil.

ReputationRep:
    if these people want to protest against losing the election they should spray paint slogans on Mr Brand. without his interfering Labour could well have squeezed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    She is symbolic of the modern liberal-left: authoritarian, hypocritical and just downright evil.
    I agree regarding sheer hypocrisy, authoritarianism and downright spite of many modern leftists. They are people in many cases who wouldn't have been in the past-old labour would never have remotely appealed to them.

Try not to generalise anyone concerned about inequality as being linked to this kind of anti-patriotic garbage, because it isn't fair. Billy Bragg is a leftist who articulates well how the right have claimed patriotism. This kind of idiot just makes this predicament worse.

ReputationRep:
    Re the sniveling little runts defending this.....

You lot are always the first to go crying and whining every time someone says or does something that may be construed as offensive and hurtful to people. But now it's done by people who disagree with people you disagree with, it's suddenly OK.

Really showing your true colours here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    It's not 'chavvy', it's criminal.

That's a straw man. The memorial celebrates the women who worked their asses off to keep the country going during WWII.

War memorials celebrate the achievements and sacrifices of people.

Who cares? And who would honestly be offended by a memorial to women who kept the country going during WWII?

How on earth do war memorials 'restrict political freedom'?

There is nothing wrong with memorials as a means of acknowledging people's sacrifices in the course of their duties during times of war.
    Exactly this. Well said.

It's certainly nothing to do with glorifying war. Laurie Penny is an irrational hypocrite and bull****er who needs to grow up. Openly supporting an act of criminal vandalism on such a deserved memorial is irresponsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    The intention was to show solidarity with those who will be affected by the Conservative government. People who are living and are going to suffer because of this governments policies. People who died in the war don't need that right now. They already have respect. The graffiti wasn't done with the intention to dishonour those involved in the war effort - it done there because someone was angry in that particular place. It being a war memorial was irrelevant to them, and it is irrelevant to me.
    The intention is irrelevant. It was still disrespectful, and a pretty stupid not to mention lazy way of making a point. It being a war memorial is relevant whether ylu choose to accept that or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Re the sniveling little runts defending this.....

You lot are always the first to go crying and whining every time someone says or does something that may be construed as offensive and hurtful to people. But now it's done by people who disagree with people you disagree with, it's suddenly OK.

Really showing your true colours here.
    You know, I thought exactly the opposite about you guys. You're always saying how people get offended too easy, lighten up, it's only a joke, freedom of speech etc. but now you're all crying about disrespect because it's something you think is important. We're all hypocrites but at least we're defending something that actually has the capacity to feel hurt.

ReputationRep:
    You know, I thought exactly the opposite about you guys. You're always saying how people get offended too easy, lighten up, it's only a joke, freedom of speech etc. but now you're all crying about disrespect because it's something you think is important. We're all hypocrites but at least we're defending something that actually has the capacity to feel hurt.
    It's a false dichotomy to suggest that you cannot defend people affected by Tory policy and at the same time condemn disrespectful acts of criminal damage.

ReputationRep:
    What a joke. Freedom of speech is not the same as vandalism.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between offending a living person (generally fine) and desecrating a monument (not fine at all). This is so pathetic and odious mainly because it shows the entire, selfish inability of some people to hold anything as more important than what they want politically right now. I didn't get my own way politically, so I'm going to cry, stamp my feet, and scribble graffiti on something that is supposed to be a sign of national respect. That will show everyone!

They are utterly pathetic and utterly infantile and so is anyone who supports them.

ReputationRep:
    Some of her previous work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9dA6E3fJw

Attacking the guy from a council house as being out of touch and posh.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 16, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.