Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

MUSIC AT CAMBRIDGE - interview/knowledge Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I know questions at interviews are relatively broad and can be answered in various ways but since I am following a very specific music course (pre-U) and up until year 12 had not been in a school which offered music as an option (therefore possibly missing out on some ground knowledge) -although having always been interested in music I have learnt stuff over the years nevertheless- what sort of areas do you reckon i should brush up on the "broad knowledge" area out of the "broad and in-depth" knowledges they require at a Cambridge interview?
    Thanks x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan03)
    Hi, so I know questions at interviews are relatively broad and can be answered in various ways but since I am following a very specific music course (pre-U) and up until year 12 had not been in a school which offered music as an option (therefore possibly missing out on some ground knowledge) -although having always been interested in music I have learnt stuff over the years nevertheless- what sort of areas do you reckon i should brush up on the "broad knowledge" area out of the "broad and in-depth" knowledges they require at a Cambridge interview?
    Thanks x
    If you are applying for Music, the interviews will be about music.

Maybe also have a look here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=663186
    Cambridge Music Students and Applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it could very depending on your subject and who's interviewing you - but at my Cambridge (science) interview, all the questions were 100% answerable just using A level knowledge. They didn't expect me to know anything beyond what we had been taught at A level (although I had of course mentioned things like extra reading and my EPQ in my personal statement).

My advice would be to learn everything on your syllabus really well and focus on that before looking into 'broader' topics, e.g. reading around your subject. The questions will probably start off with something you have already studied in your Pre-U, then move onto questions you can apply your knowledge to, then start to stretch you beyond that. I found that they kept pushing me until I could no longer answer - but even though I know I didn't answer every question perfectly (or even at all) I still got in, they just want to see how you think and apply your existing knowledge to your subject - you really don't need to be an absolute genius or know everything. And it's perfectly acceptable to say in your interview "I don't know, but maybe..." or "we haven't studied this yet, but I guess..." - i.e. pointing out that you don't have the required knowledge to answer the question, but are willing to give it a go. They will often give you some extra hints if you get stuck, and don't hold it against you if it's something you genuinely haven't studied at school.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 10, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.