Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by a thread elsewhere on the student room about anything that you say to your child being wrong some advice

1. anything you say will be wrong but it may serve a useful purpose in allowing them to slam a door or two and work out some of their anxiety that way. You may be allowed to wish them luck but even that may produce a snarled "so you think I need it"

2. Magnesium is nature's stress reliever see e.g. http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/20/m...ailable/#close

but it can cause diarrhoea if you have the wrong type. Dark chocolate is perhaps the easiest way to get some into your teenager If you live close enough to the sea to take them for a swim it's absorbed through the skin from sea water.

3. Exercise is good for them. If there is any exercise they will do voluntarily encourage it.

4. Provide plenty of snack food.

5. Get a copy of their exam timetable well in advance and make sure they get to exams on time.

6. Have a spare see through pencil case with a spare couple of black pens, a short ruler, a pencil and a pencil sharpener.. If they have a maths exam find out if its calculator or non calculator. Put a spare battery with the calculator. Get some small packs of tissues and a few clear bottles for water. If they suffer from hay fever and use medication make sure it's available.

7. If it's warm enough put a chair in the garden and a table with their favourite drink and snack food. Fresh air is good for them.

8. If you can get them to do any form of yoga it may help. If not then this exercise is good for stressed parents (as long as you don't have high blood pressure)

An alternate nostril breathing exercise – purifying breath:

Step one: Use right thumb to close off right nostril.

Step two: Inhale slowly through left nostril

Step three: Pause for a second

Step four: Now close left nostril with ring finger and release thumb off right nostril

Step five: Exhale through your right nostril

Step six: Now, inhale through right nostril

Step seven: Pause

Step eight: Use thumb to close of right nostril

Step nine: Breathe out through left nostril

Step ten: This is one round. Start slowly with 1 or 2 rounds and gradually increase.Never force.Sit quietly for a few moments after you have finished.

There are many, many different techniques of pranayama such as inhaling for 4, holding for 4 and exhaling for 4.

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't even TSR :erm:

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't even care, i have to get myself to exams on time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    My mum doesn't even TSR :erm:
    Are you sure? Most parents dare not admit it to their offspring who would complain about interference.The "get out of my life - but first drive me into town" syndrome

ReputationRep:
    I never tell my parents when I have exams. I simply tell them on results day what my results were. I only started doing that for my AS results but they have no idea about GCSE's. They do care if I tell them but I'd rather just focus on my exams myself rather than worrying about my parents stressing because they make it into a really big deal when it really isn't. If you've revised then you have nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    I never tell my parents when I have exams. I simply tell them on results day what my results were. I only started doing that for my AS results but they have no idea about GCSE's. They do care if I tell them but I'd rather just focus on my exams myself rather than worrying about my parents stressing because they make it into a really big deal when it really isn't. If you've revised then you have nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot of parents know more than they let on though, trust me. If they know what course you're doing they can look up when you're supposed to be taking exams etc. They may not choose to interfere but they're often more clued up than you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folion)
    A lot of parents know more than they let on though, trust me. If they know what course you're doing they can look up when you're supposed to be taking exams etc. They may not choose to interfere but they're often more clued up than you think.
    Yeh they know which a levels I'm doing now. Before I would have to remind them because they'd always forget lol. I doubt they'd research exam dates etc. they are from another country so don't really understand the education system here and how many exams, modules you have etc so it's less hassle if I just handle it myself. But yes you're right some parents do search up their children's subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't even know what AS levels I'm doing. They just let me do revision whenever I want lol

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.