Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

McGill BA, Science Po, Queen's Belfast Law, Nottingham Ningbo or Toulouse Law? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys!
    I'm in terrible need of HELP. I'm a North African student who's way too ambitious and sent way too many applications.

Okay so I've been accepted at several unis:
    - At McGill (Canada) for a BA (either Political Science or Communications)
    - At Science Po (France) for a BA in Political Science.
    - At the university of Toulouse (France) for a "licence"/Bachelor of Law.
    - At Queen's Belfast for a Bachelor of Laws.
    - At Nottingham University (its Ningbo, China campus) for a Bachelor in International Business and Communications.

As you can see, I've applied (and have been accepted) in several fields of study. That's because I still don't know what to study after High School.
    I'm mainly interested in Law, Politcal Science and Communications.

After this Bachelor, I intend to study either:
    - A Masters in Law (I love the French and English Law program at McGill).
    - A Masters in Communications/Marketing (I don't where right now).

I need to choose a Bachelor that:
    - would make me able to work 1 or 2 years before starting graduate school.
    - would make me able to have a job (after graduate school) in International Law (I wish to work in an International Organization), NTIC Law (I also dream of working in a company like Google), or Communications (also to work at Google).

What makes every uni special:
    McGill = in the top 20 of best unis BUT price - - - ...
    Science Po = one of the best schools for Political Science BUT price - - - ...
    University of Toulouse = small uni AND price +++
    Queen's Belfast = Russell Group uni BUT price - - - ...
    Nottingham University = Russell Group uni+ learning Chinese (aka the language of the futur) BUT price - - - ...

What DO YOU think I should choose? Why?
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeCe1234)
    Hello guys!
    I'm in terrible need of HELP. I'm a North African student who's way too ambitious and sent way too many applications.

Okay so I've been accepted at several unis:
    - At McGill (Canada) for a BA (either Political Science or Communications)
    - At Science Po (France) for a BA in Political Science.
    - At the university of Toulouse (France) for a "licence"/Bachelor of Law.
    - At Queen's Belfast for a Bachelor of Laws.
    - At Nottingham University (its Ningbo, China campus) for a Bachelor in International Business and Communications.

As you can see, I've applied (and have been accepted) in several fields of study. That's because I still don't know what to study after High School.
    I'm mainly interested in Law, Politcal Science and Communications.

After this Bachelor, I intend to study either:
    - A Masters in Law (I love the French and English Law program at McGill).
    - A Masters in Communications/Marketing (I don't where right now).

I need to choose a Bachelor that:
    - would make me able to work 1 or 2 years before starting graduate school.
    - would make me able to have a job (after graduate school) in International Law (I wish to work in an International Organization), NTIC Law (I also dream of working in a company like Google), or Communications (also to work at Google).

What makes every uni special:
    McGill = in the top 20 of best unis BUT price - - - ...
    Science Po = one of the best schools for Political Science BUT price - - - ...
    University of Toulouse = small uni AND price +++
    Queen's Belfast = Russell Group uni BUT price - - - ...
    Nottingham University = Russell Group uni+ learning Chinese (aka the language of the futur) BUT price - - - ...

What DO YOU think I should choose? Why?
    Thank you in advance for your answers.
    Hi there.

In my opinion, I think you should choose Sciences Po. It is one of the most prestigious schools for political science and I think it will really be beneficial to you. It will also open up a lot of opportunities for you in the future.

McGill is also a great choice, but you have to understand that you will need to do a law degree on top of your BA in order to pursue a LLM. This will be extremely expensive for you, given the extra years of education (at least 7 years) before pursuing a LLM.

If you are focused on doing law, then I would definitely choose University of Toulouse or QUB. I don't know if you are planning to go back to your country or not after your studies, so it is a matter of whether your country uses a common law or civil law system. If it uses the civil law system, then I would recommend doing your degree at University of Toulouse. If it uses the common law system, then QUB would be a better choice.

I can't give you much advice on Nottingham, since it is a satellite campus in China, but if you have plans to pursue your career in business, then I don't see why you shouldn't go for this choice. With that being said, you should think carefully about this option, since

ReputationRep:
    Just
    out of curiosity, what curriculum did you do and how well did you do grade wiseif you don’t mind sharing? Only asking because I am really interested inapplying to McGill BA but not sure if I will be competitive to get in.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.