Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Vegan - two questions to vegetarians/meat-eaters/vegans Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm at university and have opened a food and fitness business based around veganism and along with the café opening I aim to offer healthy but cheap meals for students. I need your help on some things!

1. What is the biggest reason you would not go vegan or, if you would consider being vegan, how would you like my business to help you do so? Please think about this in depth, rather than "I love meat". Genuine and thought-provoking responses would be lovely

2. If my food shop was coming to your town, what would you like to be served for breakfast and lunch?

I am already invested in serving smoothies and soups as "takeaway" lunches for students who are in a rush and need something on the go, but listing your favourite soups and smoothies would be great too!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to be vegan but I'm also coeliac so finding affordable and easy things to eat as a student is going to be pretty hard so I think it would be fab for affordability and convenience

2-Soups and smoothies sounds pretty good to me! I think maybe you could do some sort of 'superfood' salads/wraps as well?

Good luck with your cafe!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    I really want to be vegan but I'm also coeliac so finding affordable and easy things to eat as a student is going to be pretty hard so I think it would be fab for affordability and convenience

2-Soups and smoothies sounds pretty good to me! I think maybe you could do some sort of 'superfood' salads/wraps as well?

Good luck with your cafe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm actually gluten-free and find it ridiculously easy, so let me know if there's anything I can help with Also, just because you can't be fully vegan doesn't mean you can't try when possible, right? I think that's great of you.

Oh, superfood salad/wrap sounds lovely! Some friends suggested a kind of burrito bar where you can choose [1. rice/potato 2. sauce filling (vegetable curry, butternut squash etc.) 3. salad options] in a half-pitta shaped wrap and call it a "veggie pocket". Do you think that would be popular or not worth my while?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightergait)
    Hi there!

I'm at university and have opened a food and fitness business based around veganism and along with the café opening I aim to offer healthy but cheap meals for students. I need your help on some things!

1. What is the biggest reason you would not go vegan or, if you would consider being vegan, how would you like my business to help you do so? Please think about this in depth, rather than "I love meat". Genuine and thought-provoking responses would be lovely

2. If my food shop was coming to your town, what would you like to be served for breakfast and lunch?

I am already invested in serving smoothies and soups as "takeaway" lunches for students who are in a rush and need something on the go, but listing your favourite soups and smoothies would be great too!
    I might consider being vegan but I think I would struggle to cut out cheese and pasta, because my dad is Italian they are like my cultural heritage. I am mainly veggie at the moment but still eat Parmesan so I'm even failing at that. A lot of what I cook is Italian and Italians love dairy. I could maybe cope if I lived off curries but then I'd probably be obese from all the oil and rice.

Another major barrier to me is I don't find a lot of vegan food that appealing. I think I'd just end up living off potatoes and getting fat. I can't stand fruit anywhere near savory dishes and that seems to happen a lot in vegan food, and I don't really like meat substitutes either, although there's a street stall in Birmingham called vegan grindhouse which I like a lot. I just worry I'd end up even more dependent on carbs, plus vegan food always seems like so much effort a lot of the time.

I'd definitely give it a try. My favourite soup is unfortunately broccoli and stilton so that is a no go :P Love a good pea and basil soup though, or a hot and spicy mushroom - pho style - is my most recent soup love. Garlic soup is also pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I might consider being vegan but I think I would struggle to cut out cheese and pasta, because my dad is Italian they are like my cultural heritage. I am mainly veggie at the moment but still eat Parmesan so I'm even failing at that. A lot of what I cook is Italian and Italians love dairy. I could maybe cope if I lived off curries but then I'd probably be obese from all the oil and rice.

Another major barrier to me is I don't find a lot of vegan food that appealing. I think I'd just end up living off potatoes and getting fat. I can't stand fruit anywhere near savory dishes and that seems to happen a lot in vegan food, and I don't really like meat substitutes either, although there's a street stall in Birmingham called vegan grindhouse which I like a lot.

I'd definitely give it a try. My favourite soup is unfortunately broccoli and stilton so that is a no go :P Love a good pea and basil soup though, or a hot and spicy mushroom - pho style - is my most recent soup love. Garlic soup is also pretty awesome.
    You don't have to cut out the pasta if you're vegan - that's fine I know some really good cheese substitutes if you're ever interested! My omni friends say they taste exactly the same and are delicious over pizzas.

It's a common misconception that potatoes make you fat, and that carbs make you fat. The research is all out there so if you want any links let me know!

I think veganism in the media can sometimes let the cause down because the vegan food I've learnt to make is delicious, easy and quick! Your taste buds are very adapative also, so if you've learnt to eat a certain way whole foods won't seem very appealing to you. However, over time as a vegan you come to love simple and healthy flavours I came to this lifestyle hating most of the foods I crave now. It's a new level of energy you feel from it, especially since I no longer crave the junk food.

Thanks for the suggestions as well! I will look into making those soups in the coming weeks and getting feedback. Here are some vegan versions of your broccoli and stilton soup http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/20/broccoli-cheeze-soup/ and http://zachspuckler.com/vegan-creamy...broccoli-soup/ if that could help.

I would be thrilled if you ever need help with vegan recipes or advice (just private msg me). Helping nourish the planet and its inhabitants is a noble thing

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    This is an amazing idea and I'm jealous of whichever town you're opening up in.
    So, yeah, I'm already vegan.
    As for breakfast and lunch, maybe some simple generic things mixed in with some jazzier dishes. I'm picky but also pretty plain when it comes to food, so having simple thing like sandwicheswould be nice too. The soup sounds great as it's versatile. The idea of having a set or a lunchbox meal to take away is interesting.
    And would you serve desserts? Cake, brownies, ice cream, etc.?

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to cut out the pasta if you're vegan - that's fine I know some really good cheese substitutes if you're ever interested! My omni friends say they taste exactly the same and are delicious over pizzas.
    I tend to make mine fresh, I dunno there probably is a vegan alternative. My parents wont even serve vegetarian food when I go round though so I doubt they'd be on board with vegan

I have tried vegan cheese before...the texture is never quite right though in my experiance. As someone who is big on cheese I don't know if it would ever fill the gap. I mean cheese is literally my favourite food, I've just been cutting down on it but I don't know about cutting out... I was vegan for 3 months when I was in Kenya and by the end I was dreaming about cheese!

It's a common misconception that potatoes make you fat, and that carbs make you fat. The research is all out there so if you want any links let me know!
    Since going veggie I've noticed significant fat gain and the only thing that has really changed is more carbs

I think veganism in the media can sometimes let the cause down because the vegan food I've learnt to make is delicious, easy and quick! Your taste buds are very adapative also, so if you've learnt to eat a certain way whole foods won't seem very appealing to you. However, over time as a vegan you come to love simple and healthy flavours I came to this lifestyle hating most of the foods I crave now. It's a new level of energy you feel from it, especially since I no longer crave the junk food.
    My taste buds are very Mediterranean. That's the food I like - and to be honest pretty much the epitome of simple healthy flavours! Also curries, which are pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum .
    I do agree though, after I started eating less meat, I wanted to eat it less and less. Now there's very few meats I actually enjoy.

I never really crave junk food anyway. Other than chips. mmmmmm chips.

Thanks for the suggestions as well! I will look into making those soups in the coming weeks and getting feedback. Here are some vegan versions of your broccoli and stilton soup http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/20/broccoli-cheeze-soup/ and http://zachspuckler.com/vegan-creamy...broccoli-soup/ if that could help.
    Thanks, although I wouldnt even know where to start getting vegan cheese :/

I would be thrilled if you ever need help with vegan recipes or advice (just private msg me). Helping nourish the planet and its inhabitants is a noble thing

Thanks again!
    no worries!

ReputationRep:
    For vegan cheese I strongly recommend violife - my omni friends thought it was real cheese when they had the cheddar as a block and melted mozzarella on different occassions

Hm. Potatoes don't really have the capacity to make you fat without you eating in excess, as far as my research into peer reviewed reports etc. goes. Often when we eat carbs we are eating it along with fatty foods, like cheese, donuts etc. so when we think we are eating high carb we are actually eating high fat. It might be worthwhile putting your food into Cronomoter to see if your macronutrients are not what you may think?

Ahh, vegan curries can be the beeeest food ever! See, I sit down with 750g rice and some homemade vegetable curry and I lose weight and tone up like nobody's business, so I would surely be fat if that much rice was fattening me up!

I think I will try to put homemade chips in the café as well, if it's practical

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

1. I need my protein and I feel like meat/Chicken adds some flavour. However if you were to offer some high protein lunches, that would interest me. I'm sure if someone were not to be vegan, they can still appreciate a healthy meal.

2. I don't have any specific suggestions sorry Perhaps something hot, like toasting a sandwich for example?

ReputationRep:
    For vegan cheese I strongly recommend violife - my omni friends thought it was real cheese when they had the cheddar as a block and melted mozzarella on different occassions

Hm. Potatoes don't really have the capacity to make you fat without you eating in excess, as far as my research into peer reviewed reports etc. goes. Often when we eat carbs we are eating it along with fatty foods, like cheese, donuts etc. so when we think we are eating high carb we are actually eating high fat. It might be worthwhile putting your food into Cronomoter to see if your macronutrients are not what you may think?

Ahh, vegan curries can be the beeeest food ever! See, I sit down with 750g rice and some homemade vegetable curry and I lose weight and tone up like nobody's business, so I would surely be fat if that much rice was fattening me up!

I think I will try to put homemade chips in the café as well, if it's practical
    I thought fat wasnt meant to be bad now? As I've always said, fat is flavour! But yeah I don't generally eat carbs with fatty food, unless it is a curry, and I do my potatoes in the oven rather than frying. I just eat more of them than before!

If you don't think rice is fattening go to South America Everyone has rice bellies and their diet is basically just Rice, Fish and beans a lot of the time!

mmmm chips. Sweet potato chips are also awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I thought fat wasnt meant to be bad now? As I've always said, fat is flavour! But yeah I don't generally eat carbs with fatty food, unless it is a curry, and I do my potatoes in the oven rather than frying. I just eat more of them than before!

If you don't think rice is fattening go to South America Everyone has rice bellies and their diet is basically just Rice, Fish and beans a lot of the time!

mmmm chips. Sweet potato chips are also awesome.
    Countries with the highest white rice consumption, such as Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Bangladesh, have very low rates of diabetes, which is obviously in correlation with obesity! Those in Asia have eaten white rice for forever and they are some of the tiniest people! It's not the rice causing it

Well you said you always have cheese and pasta dishes because of the Italian culture - that's fat and carbs lumped together I feel like you could see that too much fat is bad for you just by observation - fast food is known as the main cause of obesity, especially for the US, and all fast food is full of fat, saturated specifically. Most junk food/fast food isn't full of carbs, but fat and salt, which causes water retention also, which can seem like fat. The difference between potatoes being a whole food and junk food is whether they have fat all over them - oil-fried chips, roast potatoes covered in goose fat, etc.

I don't want to claim to be the expert myself but the research is out there and I'm not sure how the whole fast-food-high-fat thing could be disputed

Perhaps sweet potato chips would be a better idea for the cafe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathinmycoffee)
    This is an amazing idea and I'm jealous of whichever town you're opening up in.
    So, yeah, I'm already vegan.
    As for breakfast and lunch, maybe some simple generic things mixed in with some jazzier dishes. I'm picky but also pretty plain when it comes to food, so having simple thing like sandwicheswould be nice too. The soup sounds great as it's versatile. The idea of having a set or a lunchbox meal to take away is interesting.
    And would you serve desserts? Cake, brownies, ice cream, etc.?

Good luck.
    Ahh thank you so much!

Okay, sandwiches is a great idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that. Gluten-free bread would be a must, to serve people with gluten allergies. I would likely use sprouted-grain bread.

I am definitely having desserts. Ice cream is a definite. This is made by freezing bananas and blending them, as they have the same consistency as ice cream. If you freeze them before they are very ripe, you can make ice cream that has little flavour and can therefore make your own flavour, like chocolate mint. If you leave the bananas to ripen loads, you get sweet sweet banana ice cream I am looking into muffins, cakes etc. but would like to stay away from use of flour, so the desserts will most likely be date and walnut tarts, flapjacks and some raw desserts too. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you so much!

Okay, sandwiches is a great idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that. Gluten-free bread would be a must, to serve people with gluten allergies. I would likely use sprouted-grain bread.

I am definitely having desserts. Ice cream is a definite. This is made by freezing bananas and blending them, as they have the same consistency as ice cream. If you freeze them before they are very ripe, you can make ice cream that has little flavour and can therefore make your own flavour, like chocolate mint. If you leave the bananas to ripen loads, you get sweet sweet banana ice cream I am looking into muffins, cakes etc. but would like to stay away from use of flour, so the desserts will most likely be date and walnut tarts, flapjacks and some raw desserts too. What do you think?
    Sounds great.
    I've tried the banana ice cream before, and that definitely works, though I think I'll try some snazzier flavours sometime in the future. Dates have never been super appealing to me but it sounds like you know what you're doing when it comes to food, so I'll leave you to it. The raw vegan dishes are a good idea too; you've covered pretty much every type of person now. [
    s]yum[/s]
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The number one thing holding me back from veganism is how difficult it seems to be. Vegetarianism I can manage, but every time I think about veganism, I think about how awkward it is to do simple things like eat out with friends or buy ready-made food. It seems to require so much planning ahead.

I'd love to eat at a vegan restaurant or café though! I think what you're doing is great! If it were more convenient to be vegan, I'm sure more people would do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually gluten-free and find it ridiculously easy, so let me know if there's anything I can help with Also, just because you can't be fully vegan doesn't mean you can't try when possible, right? I think that's great of you.

Oh, superfood salad/wrap sounds lovely! Some friends suggested a kind of burrito bar where you can choose [1. rice/potato 2. sauce filling (vegetable curry, butternut squash etc.) 3. salad options] in a half-pitta shaped wrap and call it a "veggie pocket". Do you think that would be popular or not worth my while?

Thank you!
    That's so kind of you! Yeah I was thinking of trying to be vegan on certain days to start with - I've been a vegetarian since I was born so I guess it will be slightly easier! Maybe I'll start with cutting out eggs

I think that sounds delicious haha! Yeah it would definitely be popular because it's got kind of a street food vibe to it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathinmycoffee)
    Sounds great.
    I've tried the banana ice cream before, and that definitely works, though I think I'll try some snazzier flavours sometime in the future. Dates have never been super appealing to me but it sounds like you know what you're doing when it comes to food, so I'll leave you to it. The raw vegan dishes are a good idea too; you've covered pretty much every type of person now. [
    :yum:
    Haha thank you! This makes me feel a lot more confident that people are willing to try new foods that are labelled vegan! I think it helps people find veganism less daunting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    The number one thing holding me back from veganism is how difficult it seems to be. Vegetarianism I can manage, but every time I think about veganism, I think about how awkward it is to do simple things like eat out with friends or buy ready-made food. It seems to require so much planning ahead.

I'd love to eat at a vegan restaurant or café though! I think what you're doing is great! If it were more convenient to be vegan, I'm sure more people would do it.
    Veganism is, most definitely, a lifestyle you have to immerse yourself in, which is why a transition period can be crucial for most. I think it's wonderful that you even consider it! At first, you do find it awkward, but I think it depends on what town you are in. My best friend is vegan and lives in Sunderland, where fruit and veg is apparently extremely expensive and they have no vegan-friendly places to eat there. In Coventry, however, we have 3 or 4 veg*n restaurants, all the cafés are vegan-friendly and we have the best market in the UK (voted upon) which is extremely cheap, so veganism for me is a complete doddle. It gets easier with time as well, as it becomes an instinctive thing to know whether or not a place/product is vegan-friendly. I've found non-vegan-friendly eat-outs to be amazing with adapting their dishes for me either way, which I hope would be the same across countries.

For the bold text, hit the nail on the head. Modern day society runs on convenience and so the hope is that the more convenient I can make veganism the more people will want to learn. Thanks for your feedback!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    That's so kind of you! Yeah I was thinking of trying to be vegan on certain days to start with - I've been a vegetarian since I was born so I guess it will be slightly easier! Maybe I'll start with cutting out eggs

I think that sounds delicious haha! Yeah it would definitely be popular because it's got kind of a street food vibe to it :cool:
    That's amazing! I really hope you can update me with how that goes if you do start transitioning I'm excited for you!

That's great - I really would like to have options for all different taste buds too Thanks so much for the feedback, wicked responses (Y)
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Veganism is, most definitely, a lifestyle you have to immerse yourself in, which is why a transition period can be crucial for most. I think it's wonderful that you even consider it! At first, you do find it awkward, but I think it depends on what town you are in. My best friend is vegan and lives in Sunderland, where fruit and veg is apparently extremely expensive and they have no vegan-friendly places to eat there. In Coventry, however, we have 3 or 4 veg*n restaurants, all the cafés are vegan-friendly and we have the best market in the UK (voted upon) which is extremely cheap, so veganism for me is a complete doddle. It gets easier with time as well, as it becomes an instinctive thing to know whether or not a place/product is vegan-friendly. I've found non-vegan-friendly eat-outs to be amazing with adapting their dishes for me either way, which I hope would be the same across countries.

For the bold text, hit the nail on the head. Modern day society runs on convenience and so the hope is that the more convenient I can make veganism the more people will want to learn. Thanks for your feedback!
    Thanks for your response! Yeah, it definitely depends on a person's location. For vegetarianism, it's so easy to be vegetarian in this country, so I really have no excuse not to be one in my opinion, but I'm going to be spending some time in Japan soon and I think vegetarianism looks just as difficult there as veganism is for me here.

ReputationRep:
    Countries with the highest white rice consumption, such as Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Bangladesh, have very low rates of diabetes, which is obviously in correlation with obesity! Those in Asia have eaten white rice for forever and they are some of the tiniest people! It's not the rice causing it

Well you said you always have cheese and pasta dishes because of the Italian culture - that's fat and carbs lumped together I feel like you could see that too much fat is bad for you just by observation - fast food is known as the main cause of obesity, especially for the US, and all fast food is full of fat, saturated specifically. Most junk food/fast food isn't full of carbs, but fat and salt, which causes water retention also, which can seem like fat. The difference between potatoes being a whole food and junk food is whether they have fat all over them - oil-fried chips, roast potatoes covered in goose fat, etc.

I don't want to claim to be the expert myself but the research is out there and I'm not sure how the whole fast-food-high-fat thing could be disputed

Perhaps sweet potato chips would be a better idea for the cafe
    Yeah I really don't like fast food tbh, not my jam at all unless ive been drinking!!

If you don't mind me asking, where can you get cheap hard tofu from? My local supermarket doesn't stock it, and I've tried planet organic and whole foods but its sooooo expensive!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 9, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.