Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Vegan - two questions to vegetarians/meat-eaters/vegans Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Yeah I really don't like fast food tbh, not my jam at all unless ive been drinking!!

If you don't mind me asking, where can you get cheap hard tofu from? My local supermarket doesn't stock it, and I've tried planet organic and whole foods but its sooooo expensive!
    Haha good for you! I think it's really cool you make your own pasta. Could you tell me how?

Ahh yes it can be very expensive. It would help if I knew what town/city you were in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightergait)
    Haha good for you! I think it's really cool you make your own pasta. Could you tell me how?

Ahh yes it can be very expensive. It would help if I knew what town/city you were in?
    Its literally just flour and eggs kneaded into a Doug then rolled thin through a pasta maker and cut to the appropriate shapes! So I guess vegan pasta would just use an egg substitute.

London

ReputationRep:
    Its literally just flour and eggs kneaded into a Doug then rolled thin through a pasta maker and cut to the appropriate shapes! So I guess vegan pasta would just use an egg substitute.

London
    Hm okay! Thanks - I'll try that

Cool! You can try Japan Centre on Regent Street and they also have a website www.japancentre.com for a refridgerated delivery service. They normally do the firmer tofu blocks as they are perfect for tofu steaks. Is that any cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    Hm okay! Thanks - I'll try that

Cool! You can try Japan Centre on Regent Street and they also have a website www.japancentre.com for a refridgerated delivery service. They normally do the firmer tofu blocks as they are perfect for tofu steaks. Is that any cheaper?
    Yeah that is cheaper thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

I'm trying to lose weight ATM so attempting to eat less stodge and more proteins tuff instead to fill myself up, so getting into tofu and quorn.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that is cheaper thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

I'm trying to lose weight ATM so attempting to eat less stodge and more proteins tuff instead to fill myself up, so getting into tofu and quorn.
    That's cool I know it may sound counterintuitive but I think carbs are always seen as the enemy when they're not. Even if you don't adopt a high carb diet I would recommend researching and looking up etc. the high carb vegan lifestyle and see for yourself the amazing lean body you can get on the lifestyle I myself am an example of that as now I can eat as much as I care for on this lifestyle and continually lose weight and tone up, when I was previously obese and did the whole high protein thing. Not criticising your choice - just a thought to share what worked for me and is working for all on this lifestyle!

ReputationRep:
    I currently eat meat, though I try to keep my meat consumption down for cost and environmental reasons. I've considered going vegetarian in the past (although not vegan) but I can't quite find the motivation that it takes to actually plan meals - it's a lot easier to wing it when you eat meat! I'm not really asking to be convinced, though if you have any really easy vegetarian/vegan meals then I'd love to hear them!

I'd definitely be interested in going to a vegan cafe if it was reasonably priced, though. I haven't been yet since it's on the opposite end of campus to me, but my uni has a vegan, vegatarian and pescatarian cafe which I really want to go to! http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/eat/cafe21.php
    I wouldn't really be interested in meat substitutes like quorn (although I know that's not actually vegan!) but I react quite badly to not getting enough protein at meals, which I find can be a problem with vegetarian options, so there'd need to be enough protein in the meals.

Also, a cafe at my uni has a salad bar where you choose three salad options (e.g. chickpea, red onion and tomato salad; rocket, orange and radish salad) for a set price and they change them from time to time. Perhaps something like that could work for you? Or vegan "tapas" sounds really good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathiye)
    I currently eat meat, though I try to keep my meat consumption down for cost and environmental reasons. I've considered going vegetarian in the past (although not vegan) but I can't quite find the motivation that it takes to actually plan meals - it's a lot easier to wing it when you eat meat! I'm not really asking to be convinced, though if you have any really easy vegetarian/vegan meals then I'd love to hear them!

I'd definitely be interested in going to a vegan cafe if it was reasonably priced, though. I haven't been yet since it's on the opposite end of campus to me, but my uni has a vegan, vegatarian and pescatarian cafe which I really want to go to! http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/eat/cafe21.php
    I wouldn't really be interested in meat substitutes like quorn (although I know that's not actually vegan!) but I react quite badly to not getting enough protein at meals, which I find can be a problem with vegetarian options, so there'd need to be enough protein in the meals.

Also, a cafe at my uni has a salad bar where you choose three salad options (e.g. chickpea, red onion and tomato salad; rocket, orange and radish salad) for a set price and they change them from time to time. Perhaps something like that could work for you? Or vegan "tapas" sounds really good...
    That's good of you! Yeah, I've found the biggest obstacle with veganism for students is convenient. I think that a lot more people would be vegan if that's naturally what restaurants etc. served, just like growing up around meat/dairy makes it convenient and intuition to know only meat/dairy dishes!

That's great! I believe I am visiting Lancaster university for an NUS sustainable eating day soon so I will be sure to check that out.

Hmm, that sounds very interesting. I do want to be able to do "takeaway salads" etc. so it would be good for me to be able to have a set price for a salad that can alter slightly on perhaps a mid-weekly basis. I have dabbled in the idea of doing tapas-like items and it seems like a tasty idea as long as it's worth it in money - obviously selling a lot of one item that can be made in bulk is easier to profit on than small and separate dishes but it's a thought

Thanks for your feedback and I would happily give you recommendations for quick and easy meals - they are ALL over the internet though so I'm not sure whether you want me to specifically recommend some I've tried or you didn't know how easy it was to find the recipes!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually gluten-free and find it ridiculously easy, so let me know if there's anything I can help with Also, just because you can't be fully vegan doesn't mean you can't try when possible, right? I think that's great of you.

Oh, superfood salad/wrap sounds lovely! Some friends suggested a kind of burrito bar where you can choose [1. rice/potato 2. sauce filling (vegetable curry, butternut squash etc.) 3. salad options] in a half-pitta shaped wrap and call it a "veggie pocket". Do you think that would be popular or not worth my while?

Thank you!
    I'm gluten and lactose intolerant and would love to be vegan but I'm worried about not getting enough nutrition so I still eat fish and chicken. I'm university student so I have a very small budget so I would be very appreciative if you could let me know of any quick and cheap vegan recipes!

ReputationRep:
    1. It would constrict my diet. I enjoy fish and meat too much, and feel that in moderation they can be part of a healthy diet. I feel that the lack of choice in veganism, not so much at home but rather when dining out is constrictive. I'm open to the idea of meat and dairy free days, but I enjoy the variety of my current diet too much to fully commit to vegetarianism/veganism. I'm also not fussed about the ethical qualms of eating meat or dairy products having farmers in my family background so it has just never appealed to me.

2. A bowl of oats is always great for breakfast. Maybe fallafel for lunch? Vegetables stews are pretty decent as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! For myself I just like having variety in my life (why I eat meat), and I think being a vegan does limit what you can eat! I have thought about becoming a vegetarian but I don't think I could stop eating meat. One idea I have is hot cheese rolls and vegetable soup?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm at university and have opened a food and fitness business based around veganism and along with the café opening I aim to offer healthy but cheap meals for students. I need your help on some things!

1. What is the biggest reason you would not go vegan or, if you would consider being vegan, how would you like my business to help you do so? Please think about this in depth, rather than "I love meat". Genuine and thought-provoking responses would be lovely

2. If my food shop was coming to your town, what would you like to be served for breakfast and lunch?

I am already invested in serving smoothies and soups as "takeaway" lunches for students who are in a rush and need something on the go, but listing your favourite soups and smoothies would be great too!
    Can only reply to Q.2. because I'm already vegan :P

My favourite smoothie is banana and strawberry(which I bet you already have down).
    But I also looove datorade - Its a mix of dates, bananas and blueberries, some cinnamon and it tastes fabulous.

For food it would be great to have some baked treats :love: In a vegan cafe I went to, they had muffins, cakes, and flapjacks. I love how easily they can be veganised
    Maybe also offer salads? Eg. For a classical greek salad, you can replace feta cheese with marinated tofu?

Thanks so much for opening this cafe! It's wonderful veganism is getting more mainsteam

P.S. I'm also on a High-Carb lifestyle, its amazing isn't it
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    1. Firstly I wouldn't be able to get enough interesting vegan food - I live in a small rural market town with one crap supermarket (the Crap-operative - bad with food! )where I think pretty much everything beyond a few basic grains and vegetables contains something forbidden! We do have a health shop/vegetable shop which does stock some vegan food but it's expensive as hell. Same goes for ordering online. Therefore I'd be eating the same thing over and over again which I hate doing. Also, knowing me I'd succumb to temptation eventually and ask for a nice roast lamb:rolleyes:
    2. Breakfast, quorn sausages - I LOVE quorn and Co-crap very rarely has it cheaply - and there's also a regional Swiss dish that you make with fried potatoes and fried cabbage that I don't know the name of but it's tasty as fvck
    Lunch, probably like a selection of grains ie couscous or quinoa with a potato salad or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might consider being vegan but I think I would struggle to cut out cheese and pasta, because my dad is Italian they are like my cultural heritage. I am mainly veggie at the moment but still eat Parmesan so I'm even failing at that. A lot of what I cook is Italian and Italians love dairy. I could maybe cope if I lived off curries but then I'd probably be obese from all the oil and rice.
    I only learned why parmesan isn't vegetarian this weekend D:

I will not be eating that ever again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I only learned why parmesan isn't vegetarian this weekend D:

I will not be eating that ever again.

There are a number of Italian hard cheeses that are veggie friendly though, I believe waitrose and whole foods stock some, also on the cheaper side saisburies basics Italian hard cheese is veggie friendly.

ReputationRep:
    There are a number of Italian hard cheeses that are veggie friendly though, I believe waitrose and whole foods stock some, also on the cheaper side saisburies basics Italian hard cheese is veggie friendly.
    Ah, I'm not really eating cheese much these days anyway, so it's not really an issue. I was just more horrified at why it's not veggie and how I didn't know this before...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm not really eating cheese much these days anyway, so it's not really an issue. I was just more horrified at why it's not veggie and how I didn't know this before...
    Most cheeses are made with calf rennet, its only relatively recently veggie options have been made available. The other one to look out for is beer and wine - they have fish in relatively often (old speckled hen being one example)

Parmesan is protected so has to be made in the traditional way - meaning it can't be veggie.

ReputationRep:
    Most cheeses are made with calf rennet, its only relatively recently veggie options have been made available. The other one to look out for is beer and wine - they have fish in relatively often (old speckled hen being one example)

Parmesan is protected so has to be made in the traditional way - meaning it can't be veggie.
    I swear I read that 90% of cheese is made with a synthetic enzyme or one from alternative sources- if I ever eat cheese now it's going to be veggie cheese. I'm always surprised when I'm reminded of just how brutal we can be

ReputationRep:

bugger

I drink that a lot :/

ReputationRep:
    I swear I read that 90% of cheese is made with a synthetic enzyme or one from alternative sources- if I ever eat cheese now it's going to be veggie cheese. I'm always surprised when I'm reminded of just how brutal we can be
    I eat non veggie cheese tbh, I'm not strict veggie and rennet is a byproduct of the dairy industry anyway (the male calves get killed, the rennet comes from their stomach) I feel like we may as well be putting these calves to use rather than just chucking them away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    bugger

I drink that a lot :/
    There's plenty of alternatives

Fullers is usually cheaper and comparable. And not fishy.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 9, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.