Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Vegan - two questions to vegetarians/meat-eaters/vegans Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    There's plenty of alternatives

Fullers is usually cheaper and comparable. And not fishy.
    I like beer that taste as much like marmite as possible. Can veggies eat yeast? :afraid:

I could never give up marmite. Even if was made from the crushed up bones of orphans.

ReputationRep:
    I eat non veggie cheese tbh, I'm not strict veggie and rennet is a byproduct of the dairy industry anyway (the male calves get killed, the rennet comes from their stomach) I feel like we may as well be putting these calves to use rather than just chucking them away.
    Oh God, it just gets worse. I think I'll be a vegan before I know it

I think maybe I knew these things anyway, I just didn't want to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I could never give up marmite. Even if was made from the crushed up bones of orphans.
    I would be more interested in Marmite if that were the case (obviously).

ReputationRep:
    I like beer that taste as much like marmite as possible. Can veggies eat yeast? :afraid:

Are you into porters then? Those things are like yeasty treacle *ugh*

Yes veggies can eat yeast -_-

ReputationRep:
    Are you into porters then? Those things are like yeasty treacle *ugh*

Yes veggies can eat yeast -_-
    Don;t think I have tried porters. I'm stuck with whatever Aldi sells really. How is Hobgoblin on the veggie front?

So then why is there a vegemite? :huff:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ve...agN#q=vegemite

ReputationRep:
    I've considered being veggie because I eating meat isn't good from an environmental point of view but I have an eating disorder and my diet is pretty limited anyway so I shouldn't cut anything else out. My health is more important.

ReputationRep:
    1. What is the biggest reason you would not go vegan or, if you would consider being vegan, how would you like my business to help you do so? Please think about this in depth, rather than "I love meat". Genuine and thought-provoking responses would be lovely

It's just difficult to do. Most food have some diary products in it and it's troublesome to always try to find something that is vegan.

2. If my food shop was coming to your town, what would you like to be served for breakfast and lunch?

Anything that's cheap and filling.

ReputationRep:
    Don;t think I have tried porters. I'm stuck with whatever Aldi sells really. How is Hobgoblin on the veggie front?

So then why is there a vegemite? :huff:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ve...agN#q=vegemite
    quick google search reveals only wychwoods organic beers are veggie friendly.

because Australians are weird.

ReputationRep:

Marmite isn't just veggie, its vegan too. Its a great source of B12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer4life)
    Marmite isn't just veggie, its vegan too. Its a great source of B12
    Life hack right there. I will just live off marmite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Oh God, it just gets worse. I think I'll be a vegan before I know it

I think maybe I knew these things anyway, I just didn't want to think about it.
    Yeah dairy's just as bad a s meat for killing animals.

I'm veggie for sustainability reasons - dairy's nt great for that either to be honest but not as bad a s meat.

ReputationRep:
    What's with "vegetarians" that eat fish. What is that about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightergait)
    Hi there!

I'm at university and have opened a food and fitness business based around veganism and along with the café opening I aim to offer healthy but cheap meals for students. I need your help on some things!

1. What is the biggest reason you would not go vegan or, if you would consider being vegan, how would you like my business to help you do so? Please think about this in depth, rather than "I love meat". Genuine and thought-provoking responses would be lovely

2. If my food shop was coming to your town, what would you like to be served for breakfast and lunch?

I am already invested in serving smoothies and soups as "takeaway" lunches for students who are in a rush and need something on the go, but listing your favourite soups and smoothies would be great too!
    Personally, I would not go vegan for a few reasons, one being that I do love meat, but also because meat/fish is a good source of protein that I enjoy the taste of, many of my favourite recipes include meat, and also because veganism is a philosophy as well as a diet and it is personally not a philosophy that I would follow. If your food shop came to my town though I would definitely go, I like experiencing new things.
    For breakfast and lunch, I'd just like to see how popular recipes are adapted to suit veganism, nothing in particular but it would be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    What's with "vegetarians" that eat fish. What is that about?
    something else entirely. They are called pescaterians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi 2709)
    something else entirely. They are called pescaterians.
    Why do they do that?

ReputationRep:
    Why do they do that?
    Because fish don't matter. They can...well they can get in the ****ing sea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Because fish don't matter. They can...well they can get in the ****ing sea.
    Wow, something that rivals your hatred of children. I'm impressed.

What I;m more after is is it because fish are still largely caught out of the wild? As apposed to farming (I know you still get fish farms).

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian, and I have for since I was about 5 (the past 11 years), but I could never go vegan. I have too much trouble as it is, where I come from it's considered "weird" and people can't understand not eating meat. But after all that time, I've got a very high metabolism, practically no body fat, and very dense muscles due to a diet with very high level of mycoprotein. I can work out and see the difference in a couple of days. So I'm actually very pleased that I'm a vegetarian.

But I think I'd like to see your shop, not for the vegan side but because I know that whatever I buy would be suitable.

ReputationRep:
    Why do they do that?
    a number of reasons. My dad did it to add variety in his diet and also for health reasons... Some people don't think of fish as a cute animal and therefore eat it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    1. It would constrict my diet. I enjoy fish and meat too much, and feel that in moderation they can be part of a healthy diet. I feel that the lack of choice in veganism, not so much at home but rather when dining out is constrictive. I'm open to the idea of meat and dairy free days, but I enjoy the variety of my current diet too much to fully commit to vegetarianism/veganism. I'm also not fussed about the ethical qualms of eating meat or dairy products having farmers in my family background so it has just never appealed to me.

2. A bowl of oats is always great for breakfast. Maybe fallafel for lunch? Vegetables stews are pretty decent as well.
    WHO and FAO recommend that 60% or more of your diet should come from sources which are coincidentally vegan, and that the minority of your diet should come from animal products. Is that what you mean by moderation or do you mean something else? I rarely come across a carnist that follow the WHO recommendations, so that's why I'm asking!

Falafel is very popular, yes. I will definitely think about that one!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 9, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.