Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Vegan - two questions to vegetarians/meat-eaters/vegans Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi 2709)
    Hi! For myself I just like having variety in my life (why I eat meat), and I think being a vegan does limit what you can eat! I have thought about becoming a vegetarian but I don't think I could stop eating meat. One idea I have is hot cheese rolls and vegetable soup?
    I think this is the same for most people. I was an avid meateater before going vegan overnight and once you stop eating you no longer see it as food or crave it (give or take a month). It's nice that you're open minded! Veganism becomes second nature after a while and you learn so much about food that I feel like I have more variety in my diet than I ever did as a meateater because before this I only ever knew how to make meat and dairy dishes that are pretty much the same when you think about it! There are wonderful meat and dairy substitutes as well.

I would not serve cheese but there is vegan cheese that is pretty similar with which I could make the rolls with. A simple vegetable soup with homemade friend could be good - agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer4life)
    Can only reply to Q.2. because I'm already vegan :P

My favourite smoothie is banana and strawberry(which I bet you already have down).
    But I also looove datorade - Its a mix of dates, bananas and blueberries, some cinnamon and it tastes fabulous.

For food it would be great to have some baked treats :love: In a vegan cafe I went to, they had muffins, cakes, and flapjacks. I love how easily they can be veganised
    Maybe also offer salads? Eg. For a classical greek salad, you can replace feta cheese with marinated tofu?

Thanks so much for opening this cafe! It's wonderful veganism is getting more mainsteam

P.S. I'm also on a High-Carb lifestyle, its amazing isn't it
    I love you already. It's great to see a fellow vegan on here!

Haha yes I have both of those shakes down - dates can be extremely expensive so I may have to keep that off the menu sadly. Datorade would be brilliant for gym fanatics who want the energy boost so it will suck if I can't put it in

YES definitely. So many times I visit bakeries and supermarkets where there is dairy in the bread, flapjacks, muffins etc. when it's NOT NEEDED. A big thing I want to show students is that not only are vegan desserts healthier, but they taste just as good OR better!

Salad is so underrated. I would love to do a variety of salads at the bar to show people what variety there is depending on your tastebuds! Thanks for this suggestion.

You're more than welcome! It'll be a while yet but I'm working at my university on vegan activism til then, and it's going great! What university are you at?

YES HIGH CARB IS AMAZING. I was always taught that carbs make you fat and I cried happy tears when I found out it's all a big lie, especially when I found that the World Health Organisation recommend a high carb lifestyle anyway, even if you're not vegan! Hoorah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Oh God, it just gets worse. I think I'll be a vegan before I know it

I think maybe I knew these things anyway, I just didn't want to think about it.
    Perhaps unwanted information but the dairy industry is often worse than the meat industry, even at local organic farms. With my local organic farm (in UK), they kill cows at only 2 years old (their natural life span is 20+ years) and, for those they consider suitable birth mothers, they artificial insemination them once every year (so they are pregnant avg. 9 months of every year) where they give birth and the male calf is taken from her and slaughtered at weeks old, then the mother cow will be made to give birth every year until her reproductive organs give out and she'll be sent to slaughter at avg. 6 years old.

Not much of a life, I'd say - and these are the BEST farms. If these are the best, you can imagine the worst...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I've considered being veggie because I eating meat isn't good from an environmental point of view but I have an eating disorder and my diet is pretty limited anyway so I shouldn't cut anything else out. My health is more important.
    I understand. What would you like to eat at the café then, as someone with an eating disorder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    1. What is the biggest reason you would not go vegan or, if you would consider being vegan, how would you like my business to help you do so? Please think about this in depth, rather than "I love meat". Genuine and thought-provoking responses would be lovely

It's just difficult to do. Most food have some diary products in it and it's troublesome to always try to find something that is vegan.

2. If my food shop was coming to your town, what would you like to be served for breakfast and lunch?

Anything that's cheap and filling.
    Once you get searching for vegan products it becomes second nature and becomes relatively easy to find vegan items. I think it's mainly that we're not used to searching out these items to living vegan seems impossible. The more vegans there are, the more demand for vegan products too

Check, and check! You'd be an easy customer then

ReputationRep:
    The reason I wouldn't become vegan fully is because of the restrictions on food that i want to eat. I love eggs etc and meat obviously. I drink soya and eat alternative food out of my own choice all the time, but if I wanted to buy a snack or a cake or something, i don't want to feel as if I should restrict myself because something contains butter.

I already barely cook for myself, and most things I eat come out of a package or I blend inbetween meals. I think constant package reading would put me off too. It's not that I'm a 'budget' eater at all, but it would definitely bump up my spending on extra alternative food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuggleyDuck)
    Personally, I would not go vegan for a few reasons, one being that I do love meat, but also because meat/fish is a good source of protein that I enjoy the taste of, many of my favourite recipes include meat, and also because veganism is a philosophy as well as a diet and it is personally not a philosophy that I would follow. If your food shop came to my town though I would definitely go, I like experiencing new things.
    For breakfast and lunch, I'd just like to see how popular recipes are adapted to suit veganism, nothing in particular but it would be interesting.
    It is has been long advertised that meat is a great source of protein, but these protein levels can be found in plant foods and sometimes an even greater percentage of protein can be obtained! WHO recommended that less than 15% of your diet should come from protein, and therefore it's almost impossible not to get enough protein if you eat a whole food plant-based diet.

Perhaps veganism isn't something I should address here then - I will try to call it 'plant-based' or 'vegan diet' so as to take out the other angles?

It's great that you're that open-minded, and am delighted you would come anyway.

So you would like me to veganise meals for you, like spaghetti Bolognese or ice cream? This is very easy, cheap and healthy to make which would be perfect for both me and the customer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph Stalin)
    I'm vegetarian, and I have for since I was about 5 (the past 11 years), but I could never go vegan. I have too much trouble as it is, where I come from it's considered "weird" and people can't understand not eating meat. But after all that time, I've got a very high metabolism, practically no body fat, and very dense muscles due to a diet with very high level of mycoprotein. I can work out and see the difference in a couple of days. So I'm actually very pleased that I'm a vegetarian.

But I think I'd like to see your shop, not for the vegan side but because I know that whatever I buy would be suitable.
    Hello fellow veggie! It's so great you've been able to see positive results from your lifestyle, and I'm sure other people see it as well. It's a shame that you're singled out for not eating meat really! I admire that you've stuck with it despite the resistance it seems like you face.

Yes, the shop will aim to be allergy-friendly too! It's important for me that the shop offers a variety dishes free from soy, gluten, lactose, nuts and other dietary requirements to prove that everyone can be healthy on a vegan diet no matter the issue!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Norway, and the options over here for vegetarians and vegans are bad if you ever want to go out and eat. I eat meat, but I want to cut down on it, mostly because of the cost, health benefits and saving the environment. I doubt I'll ever become a vegetarian, but I don't want to be dependent on having meat for every meal. I would love having non-boring salads, wraps, sandwiches, soup, curry with tofu and so on Both warm foods and cold foods would be great :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightergait)
    I think this is the same for most people. I was an avid meateater before going vegan overnight and once you stop eating you no longer see it as food or crave it (give or take a month). It's nice that you're open minded! Veganism becomes second nature after a while and you learn so much about food that I feel like I have more variety in my diet than I ever did as a meateater because before this I only ever knew how to make meat and dairy dishes that are pretty much the same when you think about it! There are wonderful meat and dairy substitutes as well.

I would not serve cheese but there is vegan cheese that is pretty similar with which I could make the rolls with. A simple vegetable soup with homemade friend could be good - agree?
    Definitely and good luck 😊

ReputationRep:
    Once you get searching for vegan products it becomes second nature and becomes relatively easy to find vegan items. I think it's mainly that we're not used to searching out these items to living vegan seems impossible. The more vegans there are, the more demand for vegan products too

Check, and check! You'd be an easy customer then
    The thing I don't eat alone but with other people. Many restaurants I've been to with other people don't even have a pescetarian/vegetarian option of anything.

ReputationRep:
    WHO and FAO recommend that 60% or more of your diet should come from sources which are coincidentally vegan, and that the minority of your diet should come from animal products. Is that what you mean by moderation or do you mean something else? I rarely come across a carnist that follow the WHO recommendations, so that's why I'm asking!
    Falafel is very popular, yes. I will definitely think about that one!
    Is that by total calories, or overall weight of food consumed? In any case I doubt I regularly exceed 40% of my diet with meat, eggs and dairy.

Yeah it is amazing what you can do with chickpeas. I've been opting for vegetarian patties recently, usually made with chickpeas, I'm really enjoying them. Also roasted Mediterranean vegetables

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinemetu3)
    I'm from Norway, and the options over here for vegetarians and vegans are bad if you ever want to go out and eat. I eat meat, but I want to cut down on it, mostly because of the cost, health benefits and saving the environment. I doubt I'll ever become a vegetarian, but I don't want to be dependent on having meat for every meal. I would love having non-boring salads, wraps, sandwiches, soup, curry with tofu and so on Both warm foods and cold foods would be great :3
    It's so great that you're determined to cut down your meat consumption despite the resistance you're facing! Thank you for your feedback!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    The thing I don't eat alone but with other people. Many restaurants I've been to with other people don't even have a pescetarian/vegetarian option of anything.
    That really sucks - I sympathise! Hopefully with the popularity of veganism growing larger it will become more convenient!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Is that by total calories, or overall weight of food consumed? In any case I doubt I regularly exceed 40% of my diet with meat, eggs and dairy.

Yeah it is amazing what you can do with chickpeas. I've been opting for vegetarian patties recently, usually made with chickpeas, I'm really enjoying them. Also roasted Mediterranean vegetables
    On their eat well plate, over 60% is fruits and vegetables, the rest is grains, some meat and dairy. Their dietary recommendations also suggest that more than 65% of your food should come from carbs, which you cannot find in animal products They recommend 15% or less comes from protein, which is easy to find in plant foods. They recommend fat should make up the rest, which should be mostly unsaturated, which is hard to find in animal products (it is mostly saturated). So they really do promote minimal animal product consumption really! You can see their eat well plate here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...77%20sized.jpg

IT IS I LOVE CHICKPEAS GOSH! Haha yes they are amazing too. I'm so glad food like that is coincidentally vegan - as a carnist I still adored those dishes! Hoorah!

ReputationRep:
    I'd find it hard to be a vegan as I love dairy. Cheese, yoghurt, eggs. I find it hard without them, especially as they are usually ingredients in meat substitutes like Quorn which make not eating meat so easy as they're bloody nice. Meat I can and mostly live with out but not dairy. Pizza and toasties are my weakness
    A big problem I have is that a a lot of vegan meals are 'too vegan' if that makes sense.There's not enough done in restaurants etc. to make 'everyday' vegan meals. I'd love a vegan chilli, pasta style dish, cakes etc. that are 'normal' and can be rustled up in the same amount of time and don't feel like hard labour or that you're missing out not having meat. Places just like to emphasise vegan and sometimes vegetarian as "oh-my-god-so-different" and it really puts people off because it's treated as weird thing having a different diet; "oh here have this dish especially made for people like you that is as far away form any dish that could have meat it as possible because you'd probably not like anything vaguel related to that!". Basically more direct alternatives of meat dishes would be great rather than more vegan/veggie specific dishes.

ReputationRep:
    I understand. What would you like to eat at the café then, as someone with an eating disorder?
    To be fair, why should I help you earn money from your business? Unless it was the only option I would be extremely unlikely to choose a vegan cafe. Nothing would taste as good as the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, why should I help you earn money from your business? Unless it was the only option I would be extremely unlikely to choose a vegan cafe. Nothing would taste as good as the real thing.
    She's asking a general question about preference. She's not asking you to pick her food over anything else, she's just asking what non-vegans would like from a vegan cafe to get an idea of what to serve. I think you're being a tad rude.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised how negative this response is. It's not a cafe that intends to substitute meat and dairy dishes. WHO recommends that more than 60% of your diet is coincidentally vegan, where it's all whole foods. We have strayed so far from that recommendation that my cafe intends to bring students back to healthy living - there is a demand for it now as customers become more health conscious. It's not just about veganism - it's about coming away from junk foods and fizzy drinks too.

Also, you're wrong. I cook for my meateater friends and sometimes they don't even know they're eating vegan when I use substitutes. Some even rumoured about me giving up veganism because they tried a dish I made that they thought was 'real'. I also now cook for my friends because they prefer eating vegan some nights over meat/dairy dishes. Some of people's most loved dishes are even coincidentally vegan - falafel, hummus, garlic bread, even pizza sometimes etc.

I wanted the cafe to be a charity because I didn't want to earn money from it - I simply care about the population's health. I am an exceptionally altruistic person and am proud of it. However, the only way I can spread the message about healthy eating in general is to make it a business. The rest of the business, which helps mentor people into healthy lifestyles (that is more than just about veganism) I have managed to turn into a university funded project so that I don't have to take money out of it.

I hope this makes my objectives clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohheyimgeorgia)
    She's asking a general question about preference. She's not asking you to pick her food over anything else, she's just asking what non-vegans would like from a vegan cafe to get an idea of what to serve. I think you're being a tad rude.
    Well she asked me directly what I would buy. And seemed to assume that everyone with an eating disorder would eat the same things. She could find out what *I* would eat (right now, almost exclusively ice-cream) but that doesn't say what anyone else with an ED would want.

I'm surprised how negative this response is. It's not a cafe that intends to substitute meat and dairy dishes. WHO recommends that more than 60% of your diet is coincidentally vegan, where it's all whole foods. We have strayed so far from that recommendation that my cafe intends to bring students back to healthy living - there is a demand for it now as customers become more health conscious. It's not just about veganism - it's about coming away from junk foods and fizzy drinks too.
    Also, you're wrong. I cook for my meateater friends and sometimes they don't even know they're eating vegan when I use substitutes. Some even rumoured about me giving up veganism because they tried a dish I made that they thought was 'real'. I also now cook for my friends because they prefer eating vegan some nights over meat/dairy dishes. Some of people's most loved dishes are even coincidentally vegan - falafel, hummus, garlic bread, even pizza sometimes etc.
    I wanted the cafe to be a charity because I didn't want to earn money from it - I simply care about the population's health. I am an exceptionally altruistic person and am proud of it. However, the only way I can spread the message about healthy eating in general is to make it a business. The rest of the business, which helps mentor people into healthy lifestyles (that is more than just about veganism) I have managed to turn into a university funded project so that I don't have to take money out of it.
    I hope this makes my objectives clearer.
    If vegan food was better than food made from animal products then everyone would eat it. It wouldn't be the alternative because people naturally go for what tastes best.

Also, I can't stand, falafel, hummus or pizza and garlic bread has butter in it so isn't 'coincindentally vegan'.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 9, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.