Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eshattock)
    I haven't been doing many past papers, but if I have only the small answer questions as they are easier to mark myself. The 10/15 mark questions I have just gone through and planned what I would write then checked the mark scheme to see what sort of things they look for
    thats the same as what ive been doing. hopefully tomorrow there will be one question we like! i usually go for the tectonic hazard ones or the arctic. i stay clear of the trade block ones and ageing pop style ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiRuby)
    i didnt know flooding had compulsory case studies?? wat.. my teachers left me in the dark
    I don't think the case studies were compulsory, just good to have a couple of examples in mind to include in an answer but not many specific facts needed just general e.g. how their population is dense, low lying, fishing/farming jobs which means they're more vulnerable etc x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiRuby)
    I honestly haven't been doing past papers, just skimming through all the questions, answering them in my head then checking the mark scheme, which isn't great for answering skills when it comes to the 10/15 markers
    ive been trying to mark them to the best of my ability. im doing it as a resit bc last year i got a D in unit 1 and an A in unit 2 so i wanted to give myself the best chance for a2 since my geog unit 3 and 4 are really difficult!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been marking my past papers. I've just been writing my answers and comparing them to that of the mark scheme. Tbh it should be fine. Second chance for me here.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how essential it is to know about hurricanes/cyclones etc and how they form? I have hurricane sandy as an example, and know where abouts they form but the details as to why and how I'm not very sure of!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how essential it is to know about hurricanes/cyclones etc and how they form? I have hurricane sandy as an example, and know where abouts they form but the details as to why and how I'm not very sure of!
    I don't have a hurricane example, I have typhoon Botha in Philippines.. I think. I think you can have a case study for typing hurricane or cyclone BC they're all formed similarly I think.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    no one knows exactly how they form, however, we do need to know where they're found and why (what conditions are needed).
    -Basically they need the Coriolis effect to be strong enough (5-30degrees of the equator). They can't form 0-5 as Coriolis effect isnt strong enough. The coriolis effect is the force that deflects the path of winds due to earth's rotation.
    - Need water temperatures above 26.5 degress celcius, as warm air rises and condenses, which releases energy to increase wind speed. The water is only this warm near the equator 5-30 degrees
    -move westwards due to east-west winds in tropics. Trade winds move tropical cyclones west across atlantic ocean e.g.
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    no one knows exactly how they form, however, we do need to know where they're found and why (what conditions are needed).
    -Basically they need the Coriolis effect to be strong enough (5-30degrees of the equator). They can't form 0-5 as Coriolis effect isnt strong enough. The coriolis effect is the force that deflects the path of winds due to earth's rotation.
    - Need water temperatures above 26.5 degress celcius, as warm air rises and condenses, which releases energy to increase wind speed. The water is only this warm near the equator 5-30 degrees
    -move westwards due to east-west winds in tropics. Trade winds move tropical cyclones west across atlantic ocean e.g.
    hope this helps
    This has been really useful thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Just know your facts and case studies and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    What case studies/ examples are people using for TNC's? I usually use Tesco but I don't have any figures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly Timcke)
    What case studies/ examples are people using for TNC's? I usually use Tesco but I don't have any figures
    McDonald's . there is a large bit about MCD in the Edexcel textbook

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

Does anybody have any predictions for the 5 markers and the 10/15 mark questions this year?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly Timcke)
    I use Disney and Tesco. For Tesco...
    In 2007, £1 in every £8 spent in the UK was spent in Tesco
    57% of their floorspace is outside the UK, in Europe, South East Asia etc
    They operate in 12 different countries and have over 230 shops

ReputationRep:
    I'm pissing myself over this exam. I have disliked the geography course throughout the whole year so I know nothing -_-

Hoping for the usual essay q on migration/population structure - they're probably the easiest

ReputationRep:
    I would consider revising the greying population in detail - I've looked over papers and it seems that it hasn't come up in a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazlr)
    McDonald's . there is a large bit about MCD in the Edexcel textbook
    Thank you, I'll take a look!

ReputationRep:
    I use Disney and Tesco. For Tesco...
    In 2007, £1 in every £8 spent in the UK was spent in Tesco
    57% of their floorspace is outside the UK, in Europe, South East Asia etc
    They operate in 12 different countries and have over 230 shops
    Thank you, that's so helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigAH)
    I would consider revising the greying population in detail - I've looked over papers and it seems that it hasn't come up in a while
    this is the topic i struggle with, the questions are always a bit vague and i end up interpreting them wrong

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an example of how the environmental impacts of globalisation can be addressed at a global, national and local scale?

Also sustainable mega cities. I still remember Curitiba from GCSEs but I don't think that's enough.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.