Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    do you guys have a separate thread for unit 2? or will you be using this one after unit 1 is over with?
    also Good luck with tomorrow guys, i'm sure u'll kick a**!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know any benefits to the Arctic due to climate change, I cant think of anything other than the northeast passage being permanently open/ for a longer time and reduced stress on native populations to survive due to higher temperatures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Does anybody know any benefits to the Arctic due to climate change, I cant think of anything other than the northeast passage being permanently open/ for a longer time and reduced stress on native populations to survive due to higher temperatures
    well, as the NW and northern sea route are more open there is opportunity for inuit ro benefit from selling paintings, prints, sculptures to passing tourists on their way to USA. benefit from passing tourism.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if this helps but:
    Tree line migrates North, this means people are able to grow crops where it was not possible before due to climate change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TypicalAsian)
    I dunno if this helps but:
    Tree line migrates North, this means people are able to grow crops where it was not possible before due to climate change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hadn't heard of this one before, makes sense though thanks

ReputationRep:
    NOTES from mark scheme on this topic:

• Greenlanders benefit: range of opportunities including agriculture, tourism, lower heating costs
    • Oil/energy companies - access to Arctic mineral/oil resources as ice melts (e.g. Shell / Maersk Oil in Baffin Bay)
    • Shipping TNCs: transport routes (North-west passage) e.g. Maersk

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain to me what thermal expansion is, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is the tree line moving north a good thing, as it means more green land in areas that are not in the arctic, or does it mean less green land for areas in the arctic as it is moving north?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    NOTES from mark scheme on this topic:
    • Greenlanders benefit: range of opportunities including agriculture, tourism, lower heating costs
    • Oil/energy companies - access to Arctic mineral/oil resources as ice melts (e.g. Shell / Maersk Oil in Baffin Bay)
    • Shipping TNCs: transport routes (North-west passage) e.g. Maersk
    Scientists as well as they can find out new information e,g, geology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lpfuller)
    Thermal expansion is where sea levels rise due to the ocean becoming warmer, and consequently larger. The ocean becomes larger as it warms because the water molecules gain more kinetic energy and therefore move more vigorously, causing the body of water to expand.

Thermal expansion is basically the sea water heating up due to global warming- I'm sure you can name a few reasons why temperature of the water increases- anyway, the water expands because it's warmer and thus the volume of water increases

ReputationRep:
    Basically, when water is heated, it expands in size, only a small amount, but when this is on a global scale, sea levels can rise dramatically causing flooding.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about you guys but The Night Bus just started so my revision has gone dramatically downhill

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know any economic impacts of rising sea levels?

I hadn't heard of this one before, makes sense though thanks
    However, it's also bad, as the tree line moves north it means climate temperature has changed and habitat for wildlife (e.g polar bears) are lost because permafrost has melted. poor polar bears..

ReputationRep:
    In Africa? Coral bleaching in Kenya has adverse effect on tourist industry (60% of GDP or something)

Also salt water incursion/salinsation leads to water scarcity / becoming more expensive, etc. ALSO means less fertile land, food insecurity, crop failure, etc.

They're mainly for Africa, esp. Kenya tho - oh also Bangladesh for salt water incursion

Hint: Islands that are low lying. Popular honeymoon resorts such as Maldives suffer greatly, they don't really have any other income other than tourism and if it's less than 1m above sea level they could quite quickly wave goodbye to their income

Also, you've got islands such as Kiribati and Tuvalu which are coral based island meaning when the sea level rises, salt water incursion occurs and soil can't grow crops so they don't have any income.

Flooding can also affect HICs and insurance costs become high etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwanda_Clouds)
    However, it's also bad, as the tree line moves north it means climate temperature has changed and habitat for wildlife (e.g polar bears) are lost because permafrost has melted. poor polar bears..
    Also treeline advance northwards means tundra is replaced by boreal forest, thawing of permafrost (up to 40% expected), realeasing large quantities of CH4 = GHG (is thawing of permafrost related to treeline advance?)

(Original post by itsConnor_)
    Also treeline advance northwards means tundra is replaced by boreal forest, thawing of permafrost (up to 40% expected), realeasing large quantities of CH4 = GHG (is thawing of permafrost related to treeline advance?)
    Oh yeah forgot about the release of CH4! Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    think im gonna get some sleep. gonna be dreaming about flipping polar bears and migration tonight! good luck tomorrow everyone!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.