Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    How do tree rings show past climate change?

(Original post by Quinners7)
    Thicker or thinner rings could signify health and how well the tree has been growing in the climate as trees add to their girth each year hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    For the standard 4 marker,
    is it best to come out with 2 points and then give examples for each or is there a better method?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quinners7)
    Growth rates are based on climate, if the climate is optimum for a particular tree, the tree ring will be large. If it is too hot, there may be alterations in the chemical makeup of the tree ring for that year, or perhaps the amount of xylem vessels in the ring. If it is too cold, this may occur also. Basically, they can tell us a lot about climate and even CO2 levels, although they are most helpful when compared with other records such as ice cores, temperature records etc

ReputationRep:
    Any important topics for the human side that we think may come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should I sleep soon or at 1 for extra revision...hmm decisions

(Original post by SSJ100)
    Should I sleep soon or at 1 for extra revision...hmm decisions
    >< I'm too scared to sleep, I was fine yesterday and this morning, just hit me at 10ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Any important topics for the human side that we think may come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Teacher said Poland to UK didnt come up last year so likely to come up this year..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiRuby)
    They dont all come up, only some do, which is good , but im so stressed I only know the California one for world at risk -____-'
    I just dont think Philippines is gonna come up.. Cause there was a whole lot questions ln that last year starting with defining what plate boundary it is etc. Ive mainly focused on California. (Im resitting)

ReputationRep:
    Meant to wake up at 5:30 to do some last minute cramming but slept through my alarm so Im now in a last minute panic trying to memorise stuff. Good luck guys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Meant to wake up at 5:30 to do some last minute cramming but slept through my alarm so Im now in a last minute panic trying to memorise stuff. Good luck guys!!
    Quick question: how exactly do I expand on my point on 'biome distributional change' in regards to climate change in the Arctic? Does this refer to treeline advance/thawing of permafrost or something? If talking about ecological effects of climate change on the Arctic should I even be talking about thawing of permafrost = more CH4?

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: how exactly do I expand on my point on 'biome distributional change' in regards to climate change in the Arctic? Does this refer to treeline advance/thawing of permafrost or something? If talking about ecological effects of climate change on the Arctic should I even be talking about thawing of permafrost = more CH4?
    As the earth warms up, more permafrosts thaws causing the release of more co2 and methane, this accelerates the process of global warming causing further damage. The change in biome distributional change comes directly from the increased temperatures at higher latitudes which can sustain life / certain species as they can now cope with the conditions at higher latitudes. Therefore, trees can grow further north, animals can live / migrate further north (maybe give a named example) If you really wanted to go into the biological reason its because the species either arent adapted to the arctic conditions, or their cellular processes would be slowed, which is potentially why they couldnt live at that higher latitude before global warming occurred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    As the earth warms up, more permafrosts thaws causing the release of more co2 and methane, this accelerates the process of global warming causing further damage. The change in biome distributional change comes directly from the increased temperatures at higher latitudes which can sustain life / certain species as they can now cope with the conditions at higher latitudes. Therefore, trees can grow further north, animals can live / migrate further north (maybe give a named example) If you really wanted to go into the biological reason its because the species either arent adapted to the arctic conditions, or their cellular processes would be slowed, which is potentially why they couldnt live at that higher latitude before global warming occurred.
    Thanks. So biome distributional change refers to species (such as geese, spruce bark beetle) migrating north , as well as tundra being replaced with boreal forest.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. So biome distributional change refers to species (such as geese, spruce bark beetle) migrating north , as well as tundra being replaced with boreal forest.
    "A biome is characterized by the plant, animal life and climate in a region."

ReputationRep:
    Ugh paper was ok until I chose a bad essay -.-

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a horrible paper. A bit worried especially because everyone else found it decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KSIOlajideBT)
    question 8a?
    Nope 7 wish I did 8. Realised too late I didn't know the physical factors for flooding -.-

ReputationRep:
    Who Question 9 masterrace here?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Join the discussion of the exam on:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post55688735

ReputationRep:
    Wo did 8?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.