Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How o start learning French Watch

ReputationRep:
    So in 2 weeks I will start French GCSE I never had any French lessons I don't speak a word i looked at the interenet for videos and I am finding it really hard with the different endings I actually enjoyed learning Chinese much more because they don't have stupid different endings which annoy me so much I am worried if I suceed my school has 5 hours a week of french but I doubt i will be good my taret grade is A Please give me some tips I am not sure how effective those videos are I would not hire a tutor because when I had one in Italian it was just bad the tutor knew the language but the teaching methods did not work for me. I am an auditary learner I think.

please give tips i will try to learn as much as I can over those 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    My best advise will be : find a french student near you. That way, you'll learn realy fast.

(Original post by Maria1812)
    So in 2 weeks I will start French GCSE I never had any French lessons I don't speak a word i looked at the interenet for videos and I am finding it really hard with the different endings I actually enjoyed learning Chinese much more because they don't have stupid different endings which annoy me so much I am worried if I suceed my school has 5 hours a week of french but I doubt i will be good my taret grade is A Please give me some tips I am not sure how effective those videos are I would not hire a tutor because when I had one in Italian it was just bad the tutor knew the language but the teaching methods did not work for me. I am an auditary learner I think.

please give tips i will try to learn as much as I can over those 2 weeks.
    Duolingo, watch French telly (TF1, France 2, M6, Canal+) on Zattoo, read French papers.

When learning a language the only way to learn is immersion. So go to France a couple of times a year.

Don't stress! Just start out with the basics.

With regards to what you said about the endings of verbs being confusing, the tenses you'll mainly focus on at GCSE level are present, passé composé, future and imperfect. Each tense is conjugated differently, and has corresponding endings. Generally they have patterns, but there are irregular verbs like aller, avoir, faire and être, which are the ones you'll learn first. Once you've got those mastered, the others will seem fairly easy.

French verbs are generally broken down into three groups: -er verbs (such as donner), -ir verbs (such as choisir) and -re verbs (such as vendre).

As tehFrance said, best way to learn is immersion. I watch French films (Amélie is a classic) and listen to French music, read French books etc. If you learn to really love French culture and the language, learning it will be much easier

Bonne chance !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pfm)
    Don't stress! Just start out with the basics.

With regards to what you said about the endings of verbs being confusing, the tenses you'll mainly focus on at GCSE level are present, passé composé, future and imperfect. Each tense is conjugated differently, and has corresponding endings. Generally they have patterns, but there are irregular verbs like aller, avoir, faire and être, which are the ones you'll learn first. Once you've got those mastered, the others will seem fairly easy.

French verbs are generally broken down into three groups: -er verbs (such as donner), -ir verbs (such as choisir) and -re verbs (such as vendre).

As tehFrance said, best way to learn is immersion. I watch French films (Amélie is a classic) and listen to French music, read French books etc. If you learn to really love French culture and the language, learning it will be much easier

Bonne chance !
    Thank you but unfortuately French culture is not something i am interested in I am more interested in asian and Swiss culture unfortunately

Thank you but unfortuately French culture is not something i am interested in I am more interested in ... Swiss culture unfortunately
    This is a conflicting statement, Swiss, especially French Swiss is similar to France. Why are you doing French if you don't like French? You get a choice, don't you?

Thank you but unfortuately French culture is not something i am interested in I am more interested in asian and Swiss culture unfortunately
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    This is a conflicting statement, Swiss, especially French Swiss is similar to France. Why are you doing French if you don't like French? You get a choice, don't you?
    Yes - what made you choose to do it if you don't actually want to learn about the culture? It seems like a waste of time for you, if I'm honest. It will be hard for you to feel enthusiastic towards learning French if you have no interest in it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pfm)
    Yes - what made you choose to do it if you don't actually want to learn about the culture? It seems like a waste of time for you, if I'm honest. It will be hard for you to feel enthusiastic towards learning French if you have no interest in it at all.
    Because it is spoken in luxembourg,canada and switzerland (geneva) as well as i had no other choice and I wanted to do atleast 1 language.I would love to learn Chinese but it is not taught or german which is also not taught and I am not too fond of the teacher who teaches spanish and I am not fond of spanish or the culture in spanish speaking countires.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.