Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

People who proposed... Watch

ReputationRep:
    How did you propose?
    Did you ask for his/her parent's permission?
    How long did it take you to propose?
    How many jewelry stores did you go to?
    Did you talk to your partner about marriage?
    How long after proposing did you start planning?
    What did you do before you started planning?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You aren't going to get many who've actually done it here, a mate recently did and his are below.

Sent her on a treasury hunt round New York, last stop was him in Central Park.
    No, she wouldn't want him to.
    They've been going out 6 years.
    He went to about 6 I think, but went to Dubai to get the ring.
    Yes, they talked about it ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    Each had a ring in a box for the other, went on a day-trip to the coast (had a picnic on the beach, explored the town, went to an art gallery) and the plan was that whoever saw the right moment first would be the one that actually proposed. He happened to and it was adorable. Then we went to an amazing concert.
    We didn't ask our parents, his parents are... kind of anti-marriage.
    We had been together just over 2 years.
    Many shops, in Glasgow and London. Most rings are quite ugly and too expensive. We both wanted a simple band of metal but with some decent weight on it, nothing flimsy. Surprisingly hard to find.
    Yes, I don't remember when it first came up, but it was a mutual decision we discussed.
    We still haven't started planning yet, it's been over 2 years now.
    We have moved in together, he got a new job, just recently had our first proper holiday together. Basically life, but as an engaged couple rather than a couple.

ReputationRep:
    Heh. My ex proposed on Christmas eve many years ago with a ring he'd got on finance from H.Samuels which got him a lovely county court judgement when he couldn't pay it lmfao. What a tool. I don't think I ever want to be married.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTipsyTarsier)
    Heh. My ex proposed on Christmas eve many years ago with a ring he'd got on finance from H.Samuels which got him a lovely county court judgement when he couldn't pay it lmfao. What a tool. I don't think I ever want to be married.
    I'm not sure whether it's worse that he took finance or that anyone has ever bought an engagement ring from H ****ing Samuel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    Each had a ring in a box for the other, went on a day-trip to the coast (had a picnic on the beach, explored the town, went to an art gallery) and the plan was that whoever saw the right moment first would be the one that actually proposed. He happened to and it was adorable. Then we went to an amazing concert.
    Don't know why but that seems really weird to me. I've always thought a proposal should kinda be a surprise, otherwise people just generally agree to get married without a proposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Don't know why but that seems really weird to me. I've always thought a proposal should kinda be a surprise, otherwise people just generally agree to get married without a proposal.
    Yeah, it is unusual. We did a bit of both ways, even though I see why logically most people don't: No surprise, but still a planned proposal rather than a conversation that was accepted.

I didn't think the 'actual' proposal would make any difference, because we both already knew so it was only a fun formality. I was very surprised at how powerful the whole thing was. I felt completely different the moment after it happened (ditto for him) in a way I couldn't have comprehended before. The unconscious and emotional mind is a mysterious thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    I'm not sure whether it's worse that he took finance or that anyone has ever bought an engagement ring from H ****ing Samuel.
    Laffin. The entire thing is just hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're going to find many people who have proposed on a student website. I saw a real life proposal 2 years ago though. I was in the park and I saw a guy kneel down in front of a nice, pink blossom tree and propose to his girlfriend. She got emotional and started crying, but fortunately she said yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundWoodstock)
    I don't think you're going to find many people who have proposed on a student website. I saw a real life proposal 2 years ago though. I was in the park and I saw a guy kneel down in front of a nice, pink blossom tree and propose to his girlfriend. She got emotional and started crying, but fortunately she said yes.
    Awww! ^_^

Some students are married.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 10, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.