Turn on thread page Beta

How did someone react when you told them about self harm watch

ReputationRep:
    When / if you told a teacher that you selfharmed;
    how did they react?
    what did they do after you had told them?
    where they still supportive? like where you still able to talk to them
    where you forced to see the school counseller? (I ask cos I really don't like the school counseller)

sorry I know its a lot!!

I don't know if this will concern you or not, but they probably will have to tell your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know if this will concern you or not, but they probably will have to tell your parents.
    That's my biggest issue and the only thing stopping me from telling someone like a teacher

ReputationRep:
    I told a few of my friends first well they sort of guessed and I agreed so it took me 3 years to do that. One is still really supportive but she has recently started herself so we both support each other. About a year later (last October) we went on a two week holiday to Malaysia so I had to wear t-shirts and my mum obviously found out when I refused to. she cried for a bit but honestly so much more supportive than I would have guessed. I refused to get the school involved but my doctor phoned my school about me without me knowing. I suppose its sort of different because I didn't want school to know and you don't want your parents to. why don't you trying talking to a friend first and then build up the courage to let your mum know? she'll probably find out in the end anyway especially if they leave scars.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    if you tell a teacher then their legally obligated to tell someone who could help you. if you dont currently feel comfortable telling a teacher, i d say at least speak to anyone who you trust such as a friend or a relative.

ReputationRep:
    Your best chance of keeping this kind of thing as confidential as possible is to cut out the middlemen and go to see a medical professional for help directly. They are bound to confidentiality, but may depending on your age and circumstances be obliged to consult your parents concerning any treatment they want to give you. They will not promise to keep the information you tell them hidden from your parents.

ReputationRep:
    If you tell the teachers they are unable to report to your parents unless you either say they can or if it seems like it's a risk to your health, normally they will suggest either seeing a counselor about it and they will provide bandages for you should you ask, they may keep more of an eye on you but they won't single you out. They may also suggest to use clean blades and to wash the cut once you have done it.

Legally unless you are at risk of dying or if your arm is in chunks they are normally unable to tell your parents, if you tell them not to.
    They will probably try to find out your reasons as to why and help you work through it but if you ask to be left alone they normally won't lock you up.

The most stress they will give you is when you think they are going to do things you asked them not to, your paranoia is natural but they normally are unable to notify your parents about this unless it is a major risk, and they are are unable even more to contact them if you tell them it's because of your home life which normally it is.

Reporting it home means the person may come under extreme and unnecessary stress compared with sitting down once a week to talk about recent events.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how things work now but I faced this when in sixth form in 1996. The teachers found out and told my parents.... at a frigging parent's evening. My mum stormed home and left me at the school being comforted by teachers. Other parents didn't get to meet their kid's teachers and I basically messed it all up. Head of sixth form took me home and had a chat with my folks. What followed was a blur of GP and psychiatrist visits.

I hope that nowadays your tutors will maintain some level of confidentiality, especially seeing as self harm is common now. No one in my school had dealt with it before when I did it.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry that must have been horrible.
    I know a few people in my year have gone through this and i think my class know!! I am debating telling this teacher but i know she will pronably teach me next year for A Levels and i would find it awkward if she knew!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Doesn't it depend on your age?

(Original post by OU Student)
    Doesn't it depend on your age?
    Possibly, I'm not sure exactly what the rules are. But in my experience it's a distinct possibility.

ReputationRep:
    I told the school counsellor and nothing happened

In my experience (when I was 11/12) yes, my support teacher did tell my parents. But, if you are under 18, it will probably be one of the only ways you can get real help if your parents are informed, so they can contact CAMHS (or another support system) if that is what you want.

Looking back now, I am more angry at the adults who knew but didn't do anything about it at all, and instead manipulated me into doing the things that were making me harm myself in such a way.

I have spent 5 months on an adolescent ward, and I hate the thought of this hapenning to other people, when the person could likely have been supported or helped like I could,

ReputationRep:
    hey, im currently 17 and a few months ago i was on a field trip and i basically suffer from an eatin disorder and so i did open up to my teacher and she basically had to report it to the school nurse but after i spoke with her and told her not to tell anyone,she didnt. maybe it might be similar but sometimes its great to talk to a teacher who can support you through school x

Well i opened up to two of my friends, and they kind of asked why and was empathetic for a few seconds and then kinda just left it and forgot about it. but i don't blame them, they probably didn't know how to react and i feel like it was probably just a burden to them. we only have ourselves in this world

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school my PE teacher saw that I'd cut my arm and told my head of year, who told my dad (who was, and still is incredibly unsupportive, but that's likely just him - he's not great in general)

Everyone else I've spoken to has been incredibly supportive throughout my journey of recovery.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    maybe they were unsure of how to react, they may hvae not been in that situation before which caused them to behave like that, im sure they constantly think about it but just are unaware of how to approach you, like when i told my friend some 'stuff' it wasnt really until a year later that we properly spoke about it, because she knew it brings up pain and also she was partially in denial tooo. yes we come and go from this world alone but along the pathway we do meet really special people who help ease the pain. honey dont think youre a burden dont ever say that abotu yourself x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnhick98)
    hey, im currently 17 and a few months ago i was on a field trip and i basically suffer from an eatin disorder and so i did open up to my teacher and she basically had to report it to the school nurse but after i spoke with her and told her not to tell anyone,she didnt. maybe it might be similar but sometimes its great to talk to a teacher who can support you through school x
    I had a similar experience with eating I told one of my teachers who went and told my head of year who told school nurse who started pulling me out of lessons and made me feel worse. she phoned home but it didn't help at all.
    instead I was just more secretive about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnhick98)
    maybe they were unsure of how to react, they may hvae not been in that situation before which caused them to behave like that, im sure they constantly think about it but just are unaware of how to approach you, like when i told my friend some 'stuff' it wasnt really until a year later that we properly spoke about it, because she knew it brings up pain and also she was partially in denial tooo. yes we come and go from this world alone but along the pathway we do meet really special people who help ease the pain. honey dont think youre a burden dont ever say that abotu yourself x
    I understand most of my friends know but we don't talk about it I know that one of my closest friends is embareseed to know I self harm.
    I did consider telling my teacher but decided against it, I used to talk to her about once a week and know we haven't spoken for about 3!!

ReputationRep:
    Basically the law is if you are hurting yourself or another person and you tell someone in a position of power they have to tell your legal guardian, which really sucks ass because it means that your parents will find out even if you don't want them too. My school was dreadful at "helping" me. First off they told my mum, which meant she went mental at me and made my problems worse, then they tried to refer me to a charity based in Edinburgh so they wouldn't be able to help me because they are for Edinburgh kids only ( I live in Falkirk a good 30 or so miles away). Honestly look into doing your own research and tell groups you can trust, school is **** and its not on my record that I am "mentally unstable" even though I'm not, I just have depression. If you're over 16 go to your GP because your GP cant tell your parents anything and they know exactly whats best for you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.