Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR MEI FP1 Matrices Section B Question Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Can anybody explain part iii) of this question (June 2007)?

I got it all the answers of part i) and ii) correct, but then the mark scheme just stated a substitution of k=1 into the matrix, followed by the usual solving of simultaneous equations with the inverse of A.

Name:  FP1 matrices.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  47.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Anybody? :\

ReputationRep:
    if you look at matrix A, and the simultaneous equations, you will notice that the coefficients of x, y and z match the elements of the matrix (when you sub k for 1). so:

A ( x, y, z ) = ( 1, 12, 3 )
    => (A^-1) A ( x, y, z) = (A^-1) ( 1, 12, 3 )
    => ( x, y, z ) = (A^-1) ( 1, 12, 3)

so multiply the column vector by A^-1 (inverse of A which is B when you sub for k * (1/ k-n)) and the values of the resulting column vector are your values of x, y and z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliot785)
    if you look at matrix A, and the simultaneous equations, you will notice that the coefficients of x, y and z match the elements of the matrix (when you sub k for 1). so:

A ( x, y, z ) = ( 1, 12, 3 )
    => (A^-1) A ( x, y, z) = (A^-1) ( 1, 12, 3 )
    => ( x, y, z ) = (A^-1) ( 1, 12, 3)

so multiply the column vector by A^-1 (inverse of A which is B when you sub for k * (1/ k-n)) and the values of the resulting column vector are your values of x, y and z
    Oh wow, thanks a lot!

Can not believe I did not see that the first time -_-'

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.