Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I’m a year 12 student who wants to study “Theoretical Physics” at University.
    1 ) The problem is that I can’t decide which university to chose. So I made this : [pdf] , those are all the university I would like to apply to. (Oxbridge are not included). Which of them are the best for academia, industry ?
    2) I also don’t know if “Theoretical Physics” is better than “Mathematics and Physics” course for further study. Because of this (old) thread mainly : [http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...367175&page=3] look at barnisaurusrex's posts
    3) At the end of a Msci in Theoretical Physics, can you switch to a Mathematics Msc ?

Thank you !!
    PS: Sorry for grammatical mistakes, I’m french.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Theoretical physics - Feuille 1 (1).pdf (37.2 KB, 127 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

well, I'm an international student, too, but I will join a British University for my Master's degree in theoretical particle physics this year.

Just to be curious, why did you not include Oxford in your list, but Cambridge?

My tips:
    - apply to as many universities as possible, so if you can't decide for one specific university yet that's fine, your decision will also depend on which universities accept you and which... don't.
    - it also depends on the university how the course is called, so you can't say whether there's a big difference between "Physics and Maths" and "Theo. Physics". Look at the courses that they offer!

Particle007

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've almost finished an undergraduate Masters in Theoretical Physics.Hopefully I can help you out.

I would strongly advise picking university based on a location and city that appeal to you, rather than league tables or reputation. All of your choices are good universities and your grades and passion will be valued more than your subject. I remember stressing four years ago about this and I realise now how much more important it is that you are happy and interested, rather than just picking somewhere with fancy stats.

With all due respect to barnisaurusrex, they do not seem to know much of what they're talking about. I haven't read all their posts yet, but from the first page...they really haven't looked at many courses. For example, they cited that UK students don't generally do maths beyond a Fourier Transform...we did Fourier transforms in our second year (of a five-year course). That's ancient history to us. They also said that EU students are superior because they do one year full research in one subject... we did a full year research in a subject plus an additional half year in another subject. It seems more that they are dissatisfied with their course in particular and have not looked into other options.

Generally most degrees don't allow swapping courses after first year, second at the latest. Maths and physics don't overlap that much, even theoretical. You might be able to swap after graduation, but it would depend on the uni. It's still not a standard swap, so you would have to prove you have the necessary additional skills, and even then it's no guarantee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Particle007)
    Hi,

well, I'm an international student, too, but I will join a British University for my Master's degree in theoretical particle physics this year.

Just to be curious, why did you not include Oxford in your list, but Cambridge?

My tips:
    - apply to as many universities as possible, so if you can't decide for one specific university yet that's fine, your decision will also depend on which universities accept you and which... don't.
    - it also depends on the university how the course is called, so you can't say whether there's a big difference between "Physics and Maths" and "Theo. Physics". Look at the courses that they offer!

Particle007
    Hi, Thanl you for your reply,
    I fear the OXFORD Test that's why. And I did check the content of each course and Theoretical Physics suits me more because of the big physics part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelanieDickson)
    Hi, I've almost finished an undergraduate Masters in Theoretical Physics.Hopefully I can help you out.

I would strongly advise picking university based on a location and city that appeal to you, rather than league tables or reputation. All of your choices are good universities and your grades and passion will be valued more than your subject. I remember stressing four years ago about this and I realise now how much more important it is that you are happy and interested, rather than just picking somewhere with fancy stats.

With all due respect to barnisaurusrex, they do not seem to know much of what they're talking about. I haven't read all their posts yet, but from the first page...they really haven't looked at many courses. For example, they cited that UK students don't generally do maths beyond a Fourier Transform...we did Fourier transforms in our second year (of a five-year course). That's ancient history to us. They also said that EU students are superior because they do one year full research in one subject... we did a full year research in a subject plus an additional half year in another subject. It seems more that they are dissatisfied with their course in particular and have not looked into other options.

Generally most degrees don't allow swapping courses after first year, second at the latest. Maths and physics don't overlap that much, even theoretical. You might be able to swap after graduation, but it would depend on the uni. It's still not a standard swap, so you would have to prove you have the necessary additional skills, and even then it's no guarantee.
    Realy nice post, thank you for taking that much time. So, I'm now aware that Physics students are not bad in mathematics. And that the city in itself count a lot (w/ my predictives grades of course). Actually, where are you studying ? How is the course ?
    I don't know why barnisaurusrex said this, but he's (was) studying at Cambridge.
    Thank you very much

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.