Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm moving to Cardiff in the summer. I'm a keen powerlifter and I'm just wondering where the best place would be for me to train in Cardiff. I know both Cardiff uni and Cardiff Met have a gym and there's also a place called Fit Cardiff.

I'm quite particular about how busy the place gets, the opening times, the type of bars that are there etc (I'm a bit fussy, I've been spoilt at my uni!)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There's a gym that's open for 24 hours a day called pure gym that's £10.99 a month with a £15 joining fee or another one called the gym and it's the same price minus the membership gym itself is good, lots of equipment and the fact it's open 24 hours is a god send!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'Pure gym' only goes up to 36kg dumbbells. If he's a powerlifter that just won't be enough. I've only been training for about a year and a half and even my dumbbell shoulder press is above that so there's no room for progression.

Anyway also interested in this so hope for others insight!

I'm looking for gyms with money mostly invested into free weights, power racks, olympic bars etc. Not all focused on cardio machines which most commercial gyms are (which is expected).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as mentioned Pure Gym is rubbish for proper lifters, no where near enough weights equipment. Lots of cardio stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rossshaw)
    Hi,

I'm moving to Cardiff in the summer. I'm a keen powerlifter and I'm just wondering where the best place would be for me to train in Cardiff. I know both Cardiff uni and Cardiff Met have a gym and there's also a place called Fit Cardiff.

I'm quite particular about how busy the place gets, the opening times, the type of bars that are there etc (I'm a bit fussy, I've been spoilt at my uni!)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up!

Thanks!
    There's a DW sports gym in the capital retail park, I'm not sure exactly how heavy the weights are there but I've been told it's good there. I have friends who go to the gym so I can always ask them about it if you need to know anything (that's not on their website)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 1, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.