Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Revising for my OSCE, and it unlikely to come up but would still be useful to know about CVCs when they are multi-lumen - especially since we had teaching on it which means in theory they could include it. [I stupidly did not take notes]

Am I correct in saying white is the proximal line and for blood taking, blue/grey middle for meds and brown distal for monitoring?

I have a vague feeling that the colours can be different though for different manufacturers, is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    They are different for different manufacturers. The distal lumen is usually used for monitoring, as it is closes to the right atrium and thus most accurately represents central venous pressure. The other lumens can then be used for whatever you want. If TPN is going to be used then only TPN can go down that lumen, otherwise drugs can be given down any lumen. For blood, it doesn't really matter which lumen you use as long as you dispose of the headspace blood before taking your sample. It's obviously not appropriate to sample blood or flush a line that has an infusion running through it, so if that's the case then chose one of the other ones.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, we blood sample from the lumen that's being transduced (similar to sampling from an A-line transducer), which is normally the distal lumen.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers, hopefully won't come across too many in my first few weeks of work but useful to have the background info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    Thanks for the answers, hopefully won't come across too many in my first few weeks of work but useful to have the background info.
    They're way easier than stabbing the patient every day, so i'd personally hope there are lots of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They're way easier than stabbing the patient every day, so i'd personally hope there are lots of them!
    I was meaning I hope my patients aren't that ill more than anything else, but I see your point!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.