Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Photo editing software of choice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Heya, ive been using Adobe elements 10 since it came out, and was wondering if it is time to update my software, or go with something completely new!
    Reason i ask is because ive been using my old laptop only for photo editing for about a year now and i want to get something on my new laptop. the free program GIMP has been reccomended to me by friends, is it a good program that offers basics?
    Any and all help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    GIMP offers some good basic editing features, but if you're used to Elements I would advise sticking with it. I happen to think Elements is a very good version of PS, though some would disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I use lightroom. Its good enough for me. Depends what you need from the software really.

ReputationRep:
    GIMP is free but pretty feature packed.

Photoshop is paid and as a result you get all the features you would ever need with the benefit of direct customer support.

Paint is actually surprisingly good for basic image manipulation.

I use GIMP myself.

ReputationRep:
    I thing photoshop elements is good for basic retouching, editing. If you want more control definetly you want to upgrade to photoshop + lightroom ( the most used) . I sugest these two because you will find the most tutorials, so it will be easyear to learn and there are powerfull to.

ReputationRep:
    I use Lightroom and Photoshop. I was using Aperture before, but I'm very happy with the upgrade to Adobe.

ReputationRep:
    Used to stake my life on lightzone and gimp when i was on windows, now over to mac, still experimenting the options available instead of those two

ReputationRep:
    I have been using LR 5 and PS CS6 for some time, then had to drop PS for cost reasons, so now I am mostly using LR 6 and sometimes GIMP (mostly for exposure blending). GIMP is less efficient than PS, I particularly noticed this when trying to make selections. It also only supports 8 bit as of now (they have been working on 14 bit for years and it's still not clear when it will be implemented), and I don't particularly like throwing away image data
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I use Adobe Photoshop CS6, which is amazing and has a lot of features .
    I'm not too sure what additional features Adobe Photoshop CC has to offer :ninja:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    I use Adobe Photoshop CS6, which is amazing and has a lot of features .
    I'm not too sure what additional features Adobe Photoshop CC has to offer :ninja:.
    ditto

ReputationRep:
    On my phone, snapseed.

ReputationRep:
    I've always used Photoshop. It's far more flexible than anything else I've used, and has alot more support.

ReputationRep:
    ms paint, bmt
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    I've always used Photoshop. It's far more flexible than anything else I've used, and has alot more support.
    Which version of Photoshop do you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Which version of Photoshop do you use?
    CS6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    ms paint, bmt
    Name:  hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  39.0 KB

Upon googling it, hmm... :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Name:  hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  39.0 KB

Upon googling it, hmm... :laugh:
    U know it G. if man sees chicken cottage en route, man gotta stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    U know it G. if man sees chicken cottage en route, man gotta stop.
    But then surely bmt wouldn't have a time limit of one hour! :unimpressed: What type of monster would want to rush a man and his delicious chicken dinner?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Lightroom for me.

ReputationRep:
    Photoshop CC 2015. I subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud for work purposes, but couldn't be without it now. The student discount's very nice and makes a huge difference. I used to pay about £45/month, and now I'm sure it's less than £20/month. I can't remember the last day when I didn't use at least Photoshop or Illustrator for something.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.