The Student Room Group

Why do some white people have a hard time understanding white privilege?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Ah yes! We should start a campaign to get 50 Cent, Dr Dre, Jay-Z, and P Diddy noticed.Oh wait, they all have larger fortunes than Eminem does.Still, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Kanye, LL Cool J, Pharrell, Akon, Will. I. Am and Nelly could probably do with our help.

For Rap music, people tend to go for people they can identify with. The US in white in majority and these rappers have a big success in the white community there. This has an influence in who wins the awards or not. Macklemore felt that Kendrick Lamar got robbed during the 56th Grammy awards.
Your attempt at irony is poor. You say 50 Cent and so on have bigger fortunes than Eminem. Yeah, a lot of them have stopped making music to become entrepreneurs instead hence the reason why they make so much money.
Original post by seaholme
This is slightly confounded by the fact that immigrants tend to be towards the bottom of the class system, and because they start out with less money, and have to start by settling in places which are themselves full of working class white people - and immigration has been the source of a lot of ethnic groups over the past 50+ years. However over time this changes and ethnic groups become evened out over the classes. A good example of this would be Jewish immigrants who are now mostly middle class. I know plenty of middle class black and asian (as in both chinese-asian and indian-asian) people, and they actually tend to have higher educational aspirations for their children (or if not aspirations then making them work hard! :tongue:) than your average working class white english person, which in turn gives the next generations a lot more social mobility. To be honest I think any race-class phenomenon is more to do with general problems facing all people with class in this country, as opposed to a particular race issue.

I would agree with this.
Reply 142
I just lol'ed at this thread... Guys need to see /r/Tumblrinaction. This is hilarious.
Original post by seaholme
This is slightly confounded by the fact that immigrants tend to be towards the bottom of the class system, and because they start out with less money, and have to start by settling in places which are themselves full of working class white people - and immigration has been the source of a lot of ethnic groups over the past 50+ years. However over time this changes and ethnic groups become evened out over the classes. A good example of this would be Jewish immigrants who are now mostly middle class. I know plenty of middle class black and asian (as in both chinese-asian and indian-asian) people, and they actually tend to have higher educational aspirations for their children (or if not aspirations then making them work hard! :tongue:) than your average working class white english person, which in turn gives the next generations a lot more social mobility. To be honest I think any race-class phenomenon is more to do with general problems facing all people with class in this country, as opposed to a particular race issue.

Fair analysis :smile:
Original post by jedanselemyia
For Rap music, people tend to go for people they can identify with. The US in white in majority and these rappers have a big success in the white community there. This has an influence in who wins the awards or not. Macklemore felt that Kendrick Lamar got robbed during the 56th Grammy awards.
Your attempt at irony is poor. You say 50 Cent and so on have bigger fortunes than Eminem. Yeah, a lot of them have stopped making music to become entrepreneurs instead hence the reason why they make so much money.
Eminem is one of my favourite rappers, because he speaks about his life, what he's gone through, and every song he makes doesn't talk about "bitches and hoes" and it doesn't mention the n word 50 times a minute either.

Like this:

[video="youtube;lexLAjh8fPA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexLAjh8fPA[/video]

and:

When they look at poems in school, Eminem isn't exactly MUCH different to that, aside from the fact that his cryptic-ness is in rap form
(edited 8 years ago)

Hmm, very true. I certainly don't remember seeing Eminem doing anything else, like acting in films.

Neither does he run his own radio channel, record label, clothing company or game developer, as far as I'm aware.

If you can find a single top-earning rapper that doesn't do anything apart from rapping, I will be impressed. Even Tupac got into acting and he died aged 25.
Original post by The_Internet
Eminem is one of my favourite rappers, because he speaks about his life, what he's gone through, and every song he makes doesn't talk about "bitches and hoes" and it doesn't mention the n word 50 times a minute either.

Eminem acknowledges the fact that white rappers shouldn't say the n word. Not every black rapper uses the n word "50 times a minute", take Childish Gambino for example or Wutang Clan.
"Bitches and hoes"... Maybe he doesn't talk about them as sexual objects but boy does he talk about murdering and hitting his mother and ex-partner :rolleyes:
Disclaimer talking about the UK here.

Jesus fecking Christ. White privilege does not (maybe barely) exist in this country. You've been indoctrinated possibly by tumblr.

I understand and accept their is money privilege. Which is basically unavoidable (imo) but that's another debate.

Rich people of many different ethnicities absolutely kill in this country. Especially wealthy indians, east asians, jews...

I'm an arab (not muslim fyi), born here 21 yrs old and feel perfectly welcome. But my background is in money and that is a massively contributing factor.

Its about money not of race.
Hmm, very true. I certainly don't remember seeing Eminem doing anything else, like acting in films.

Neither does he run his own radio channel, record label, clothing company or game developer, as far as I'm aware.

If you can find a single top-earning rapper that doesn't do anything apart from rapping, I will be impressed. Even Tupac got into acting and he died aged 25.

See my reply regarding Eminem above :smile: He's definitely one of my favourite rappers, and not cos he's white (Again, I'm Asian)

I think it says a lot when every single brown person here has refuted the OP....
(edited 8 years ago)
Eminem acknowledges the fact that white rappers shouldn't say the n word. Not every black rapper uses the n word "50 times a minute", take Childish Gambino for example or Wutang Clan.
"Bitches and hoes"... Maybe he doesn't talk about them as sexual objects but boy does he talk about murdering and hitting his mother and ex-partner :rolleyes:

Course, that was an exagerration. Akala is also pretty good, and he's Black... And this could perhaps be true, but he doesn't really do it as much as the others. See the ones I posted above. Those are quite famous, unlike say.. "PIMP" by 50 cent

Jedanselemyia, "It aint about black or white. We all human"

[video="youtube;Do5MMmEygsY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5MMmEygsY[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

My bad, sir.

Wu Tang :biggrin:

Bad example there in fairness, they are hardcore Hip-Hop.
Course, that was an exagerration. Akala is also pretty good, and he's Black... And this could perhaps be true, but he doesn't really do it as much as the others. See the ones I posted above. Those are quite famous, unlike say.. "PIMP" by 50 cent

Wait, "he doesn't really do it as much as the others"? Have you really listened to the Slim Shady LP?
I do love "Toy Soldiers" :smile: Good memories of my dad playing it in the car
Original post by Wilfred Little
Wu Tang :biggrin:

Bad example there in fairness, they are hardcore Hip-Hop.

Yup yup :smile:
Wait, "he doesn't really do it as much as the others"? Have you really listened to the Slim Shady LP?
I do love "Toy Soldiers" :smile: Good memories of my dad playing it in the car
Fair enough, however his new rap with Rihanna kinda shows hes probably bipolar tbh...Like Shady was a thing of the past. He's not like that any more. I guess I've only actually really come across his "nice" raps tbh! Aside from "Real slim shady" but that isn't even too bad
Course, that was an exagerration. Akala is also pretty good, and he's Black... And this could perhaps be true, but he doesn't really do it as much as the others. See the ones I posted above. Those are quite famous, unlike say.. "PIMP" by 50 centJedanselemyia, "It aint about black or white. We all human"[video="youtube;Do5MMmEygsY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5MMmEygsY[/video]

How dare you even quote my man Tupac! :redface:
How dare you even quote my man Tupac! :redface:

Because he's another one rapper that I really quite like.
Fair enough, however his new rap with Rihanna kinda shows hes probably bipolar tbh...Like Shady was a thing of the past. He's not like that any more. I guess I've only actually really come across his "nice" raps tbh! Aside from "Real slim shady" but that isn't even too bad

I guess but still. He's gone mainstream like others to appeal more like 50 Cent who was featured in a Maroon 5 song...
Probably, seems like you were selective :colonhash:
Um, listen '97 Bonnie & Clyde?

Because he's another one rapper that I really quite like.

'kay, you have good taste in rap music then
I guess but still. He's gone mainstream like others to appeal more like 50 Cent who was featured in a Maroon 5 song...
Probably, seems like you were selective :colonhash:
Um, listen '97 Bonnie & Clyde?

'kay, you have good taste in rap music then

Maybe. Huh, Ive never actually heard of that. Looking it up now. And thanks :smile:
Maybe. Huh, Ive never actually heard of that. Looking it up now. And thanks :smile:

You're welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending