Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Politics is not a real job Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do people keep talking about wanting someone with a *real job* as though taking on the representing of their constituents was somehow not real? How is working in the private sector any different to taking a seat in Parliament? How does being boxed in the private sector make you more efficient to deal with the public than a position where you meet them on a daily basis?

ReputationRep:
    They want somebody to relate to. They think that without the experience, they can't possibly comprehend their needs. They are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Why do people keep talking about wanting someone with a *real job* as though taking on the representing of their constituents was somehow not real? How is working in the private sector any different to taking a seat in Parliament? How does being boxed in the private sector make you more efficient to deal with the public than a position where you meet them on a daily basis?
    Politicians are often ideologues with their own dogmatic picture of reality which they debate in closed coffee rooms. There is an advantage in having someone who has faced reality for example some who started at the bottom of a company and worked their way to the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CycleofSpin)
    Politicians are often ideologues with their own dogmatic picture of reality which they debate in closed coffee rooms. There is an advantage in having someone who has faced reality for example some who started at the bottom of a company and worked their way to the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I absolutely see that about academics, some of them i've met have absolutely no interest in practical and particular concerns, but this is not my general experience with politicians. Maybe local ones. But aren't private workers just as ideological?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Some of the anti west minister loons started talking about it and now people repeat it like clucking birds. It is a coin that has been polished as it has been passed around from person to person so you can no longer see the grime.

Nobody believed in about this ridiculous idea before everyone else started saying it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really fed up of seeing people go around stating what is and what isn't a 'real job' what the hell is a 'real job' yesterday there was an individual stating that teaching isn't a 'real job'. Politics can be 'real' job, as long as the politician can relate to their constituents.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.