Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Worst Tory Policy? Watch

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    So over the last few days there's been an eruption of hatred towards the Tory government, despite the cold hard truth that they got elected fair and square. I was curious if people posting angry things actually had specific policies in mind that they were anxious about?

I've been watching with interest people getting angry at the prospect of Tory government, many of whom don't actually have a reason for being upset about it other than 'hurr durr they is bad'.

But there are some who have pointed out some seriously iffy policies that we might see. What Tory policies are you afraid of?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    My personal top pick is this policy; The Draft Communications Bill.

I'm just going to use the example of TSR to make it hyper familiar for us all.

In this situation, every PM and Whisper sent to another user would be visible to the site community team. Posting something iffy in a private message would potentially be read on the whim of one of the site moderators, which would lead to punishment.

There are pros of the situation, as it might lead to moderators catching on to bad behavior sooner because they're randomly reading messages between users. The cons however are that nothing shared is even remotely private, and it's hard to say how much the moderator team are suitable to be habitually invading peoples privacy.

Funnily enough, as far as I'm aware that is actually the situation already in place on the site. But whilst I doubt sensitive information is shared on TSR, there is definitely sensitive information shared on our other communications.

This would extend quite dramatically across every conceivable aspect of our lives. Whatsapp, Text messages, Imessage, Kik, Facebook; It's designed to encompass every form of communication past and present. How suitable do you think the Police are to be reading everyones private messages, and yes this includes photographs. How far should this really go?

My personal opinion is that current laws allowing police to investigate potentially questionable suspects further and access their communications is suitable, and passing greater powers to an already shambolic organisation is the first sign of a society that might not be worth living in any more. There's a difference between having committed a crime and being caught and being punished for being innocent.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Companies already store this data iirc they just have no legal basis to access it. I think it could be useful for preventing a similar incident to the 2011 riots and tackling terrorism in general. It will also create jobs to sift through emails, and contrary to what people say those sifting the emails will likely report if there are significant abuses. This isn't Saudi Arabia, we can be trusted to make slight modifications to the way our communications systems works without introducing the death penalty for saying the wrong word on whatsapp
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Companies already store this data iirc they just have no legal basis to access it.
    Exactly. That's quite a drastic leap. Justifying it for greater protection is a fallacy too, as it's not intrinsic to our protection. It's quite abundantly clear that it's going to be used as a tool for political assassination first and foremost, which we've seen time and time again. Police already have the tools needed to access it if they have a suspect and they present their situation to the company, but changing that to spot checking and email sifting is an appalling prospect that would be grossly inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    My personal top pick is this policy; The Draft Communications Bill.

I'm just going to use the example of TSR to make it hyper familiar for us all.

In this situation, every PM and Whisper sent to another user would be visible to the site community team. Posting something iffy in a private message would potentially be read on the whim of one of the site moderators, which would lead to punishment.

There are pros of the situation, as it might lead to moderators catching on to bad behavior sooner because they're randomly reading messages between users. The cons however are that nothing shared is even remotely private, and it's hard to say how much the moderator team are suitable to be habitually invading peoples privacy.

Funnily enough, as far as I'm aware that is actually the situation already in place on the site. But whilst I doubt sensitive information is shared on TSR, there is definitely sensitive information shared on our other communications.

This would extend quite dramatically across every conceivable aspect of our lives. Whatsapp, Text messages, Imessage, Kik, Facebook; It's designed to encompass every form of communication past and present. How suitable do you think the Police are to be reading everyones private messages, and yes this includes photographs. How far should this really go?

My personal opinion is that current laws allowing police to investigate potentially questionable suspects further and access their communications is suitable, and passing greater powers to an already shambolic organisation is the first sign of a society that might not be worth living in any more. There's a difference between having committed a crime and being caught and being punished for being innocent.
    This would be the one I consider the worst. I feel as though we should have a say as to who views what messages we send, and what we post in places. I mean for a start - I don't personally want to trust all of those police officers or government officials, who are suddenly going to have access to my private and personal information/messages. It's sickening to think that they can read it just in case I've said something wrong. I feel like I can't make a joke, I have to censor what I say and that I can't even form opinions about certain subjects anymore.

It's like we're now all puppets to the system. We say what they want to say, and we don't talk about things that they don't want discussed, or else we'll be considered criminals for it.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. That's quite a drastic leap. Justifying it for greater protection is a fallacy too, as it's not intrinsic to our protection. It's quite abundantly clear that it's going to be used as a tool for political assassination first and foremost, which we've seen time and time again.
    Is it? I'd be careful reaching such extreme conclusions, you might be arrested. I'm joking

But serious there's no evidence for these conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    Help to Buy is a terrible policy.

ReputationRep:
    So over the last few days there's been an eruption of hatred towards the Tory government, despite the cold hard truth that they got elected fair and square. I was curious if people posting angry things actually had specific policies in mind that they were anxious about?

I've been watching with interest people getting angry at the prospect of Tory government, many of whom don't actually have a reason for being upset about it other than 'hurr durr they is bad'.

But there are some who have pointed out some seriously iffy policies that we might see. What Tory policies are you afraid of?

Tuition Fees staying the same. Cameron also let Gove **** up the education system (and believe me I saw first hand the effect of what that idiot did), and now he has made him Justice Secretary, so I am quite apprehensive about that.

I'm also against fox hunting - it's unnecessarily cruel to allow a pack of dogs to rip a fox to shreds. The arguments for it are also nonsensical. Fox populations essentially control themselves.

The EU referendum - I am of the view that membership of the EU is a very beneficial thing for the UK, and now we will have two years of debate, with the risk that we might leave the EU.

Also bear in mind that if the Conservatives had a majority in 2010, Britain and America would currently be active in Syria. There may be further situations in the next five years that result in the Conservatives taking military action in places we really shouldn't intervene militarily.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They've carefully announced very little about the things which I expect will get my blood boiling the most (tuition fees, NHS changes), BUT of the things they've officially said they'll do, I suppose right-to-buy is pretty high up there.

It's giving people on housing benefit in council accommodation the right to buy their council house at a discount. Whilst people who are on low wages but claiming nothing get no such discount. And of course the enigma of quite how we'll do this without running out of council houses (which are already in extremely short supply!) for the people who acutely need them still eludes me.

The thing that gets me most about this is all the 'work should pay' stuff was a campaign slogan - I agree, work should pay! So what on earth is this policy about?!

ReputationRep:

an in out referendum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    an in out referendum
    No, no, no!

ReputationRep:
    All of them

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for the Snoopers Charter here.

ReputationRep:
    Snoopers charter, especially hate how quickly it has reappeared. A horrible policy.

ReputationRep:
    "full employment" "abolishing unemployment "

how ??

utopian nonsense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    "full employment" "abolishing unemployment "

how ??

utopian nonsense
    don't be so jolly well pessimistic!

ReputationRep:
    Snoopers' Charter. With the conservatives gaining a majority, it has made a return.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    I'm also against fox hunting - it's unnecessarily cruel to allow a pack of dogs to rip a fox to shreds. The arguments for it are also nonsensical. Fox populations essentially control themselves.

The EU referendum - I am of the view that membership of the EU is a very beneficial thing for the UK, and now we will have two years of debate, with the risk that we might leave the EU.
    I'm not sure on fox hunting, but it is misleading to say that "fox populations essentially control themselves". They are controlled by other methods such as shooting and trapping for agricultural pest control, and occasionally by conservation organisations like the RSPB to take some of the pressure off rare ground nesting birds. Just thought I'd point that out.

If you support EU membership, then your side needs to make the case for staying in, rather than denying the British public a voice in case that voice disagrees with your own. And this is coming from someone who doesn't trust Cameron's intentions with his renegotiation plan.

Personally, I don't trust the Conservatives on the environment given their absolutely awful record over the last five years. I also don't like how they are leaning towards what is basically censorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    I'm not sure on fox hunting, but it is misleading to say that "fox populations essentially control themselves". They are controlled by other methods such as shooting and trapping for agricultural pest control, and occasionally by conservation organisations like the RSPB to take some of the pressure off rare ground nesting birds. Just thought I'd point that out.

If you support EU membership, then your side needs to make the case for staying in, rather than denying the British public a voice in case that voice disagrees with your own. And this is coming from someone who doesn't trust Cameron's intentions with his renegotiation plan.

Personally, I don't trust the Conservatives on the environment given their absolutely awful record over the last five years. I also don't like how they are leaning towards what is basically censorship.
    Sorry got mixed up - urban fox populations regulate themselves.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.