Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Labour supporters should be pleased the Conservatives won a majority. Of course they would prefer a Labour majority, but it's frankly the second best result.

The Tories and Labour are (by far) the most similar parties in the UK. If you go and look at their manifestos there's really not much in the way of significant differences between the two. Guess what - Miliband had also subscribed to 'austerity'; perhaps not to the same extent as Cameron, but he pledged to reduce spending nevertheless.

Frankly even as someone who leans Tory, I considered voting Labour because I don't think a EU referendum is fruitful to pursue, and the rest of the policies are the same save minor variations (I didn't vote in the end because FPTP ensures my vote is almost worthless).

If I was a Labour voter, I'd be quite pleased that a party which shares most of my policies had a majority rather than a coalition where very different parties like the SNP or UKIP could have a say. I wouldn't be ranting about an impending doom for the country; I wouldn't be locking myself in my room and crying for hours. A little less tribal behaviour and a little more objectivity will do you wonders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    x
    Labour and the Conservatives are similar in many ways, but the differences are precisely the reason why we decided to support either one of them. Those differences are the reason why I'm frustrated at the election result. Of course any result where UKIP became a key coalition partner would be worse, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with Thursday's outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Labour and the Conservatives are similar in many ways, but the differences are precisely the reason why we decided to support either one of them. Those differences are the reason why I'm frustrated at the election result. Of course any result where UKIP became a key coalition partner would be worse, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with Thursday's outcome.
    You don't have to be happy, but the amount of teeth-gnashing and over the top exposition about how the Tories are going to destroy the country is bemusing to witness. Your party lost, yeah, but guess what - it's not really going to be tremendously different than how it was going to be if they had won.

And it's not just a UKIP-coalition outcome that you should be relieved didn't occur - any Labour supporter is kidding themselves if they think the SNP is aligned closer politically to Labour than the Tories are.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the basic sentiment here. The British political sphere is so narrowly defined its ridiculous. As such a whole bunch of ridiculous hyperbole has to be created (calling the Greens communists, UKIP Nazis, etc) in order to get any sort of perspective.

The scariest thing is, most of the people I speak to, especially older people, seem unable to even conceive of anything vaguely outside the current paradigm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    You don't have to be happy, but the amount of teeth-gnashing and over the top exposition about how the Tories are going to destroy the country is bemusing to witness. Your party lost, yeah, but guess what - it's not really going to be tremendously different than how it was going to be if they had won.

And it's not just a UKIP-coalition outcome that you should be relieved didn't occur - any Labour supporter is kidding themselves if they think the SNP is aligned closer politically to Labour than the Tories are.
    It's clear that the future under a Conservative government will far different to a purely Labour one. It's always puzzling to me when people claim that they are identical; they clearly are not. I don't think the Tories will destroy the country (I do agree that that is an exaggeration), but the present government increases the chance of Scottish independence and the possibility of leaving the EU, amongst other things that clearly differentiate a Tory future from a Labour one.

Personally, I always thought that the idea of UKIP gaining many seats under the FPTP system was ludicrous. Under a PR system they would've been a greater threat.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.