Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

PL Live: Chelsea v Liverpool 10/05 4pm Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Very typical of Mourinho imo. It was a clear tactic. They stuck one on Coutinho early doors, and they stuck one on Sterling early doors. Loftus-Cheek did the former, if I recall correctly, and it's clearly part of Mourinho's shrewd and clever gameplan.

You don't see them going in on Lambert or Johnson. Why? Because Coutinho and Sterling are our two overt threats. It happened last season, too, when we had Sturridge and Suarez. It's a shame that we don't seem to have any players with a bit of needle these days. Nobody has that tenacity of Suarez or early Torres to really get into the Chelsea defence, unfortunately.
    orrr... Loftus Cheek is a young player who mistimed a (harmless) tackle on his debut, Fabregas struggled with Raheem's pace all game, Lambert isn't quick enough to force a mistimed challenge from someone, and Johnson isn't involved in play enough for it to be relevant on him.

If I was asking someone to leave a foot in on someone I wouldn't ask Loftus Cheek and Fabregas to be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez didn't get into the Chelsea defence last season though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Hmm I'm surprised by the lack of outrage for Fabregas not getting a red card. It was a pretty clear red wasn't it?

We would've won against 10 men

it was a straight red, and even then he should've had a second yellow afterwards - was pretty typical bad refereeing.
    i think the only reason people aren't moaning too much is because this game didn't really mean anything in the bigger picture.
    it would've been nice to beat chelsea at the bridge but overall it wouldn't really have made a difference to our top 4 hopes.

referees are getting worse and worse though.
    it's sad nowadays when you find yourself commending an official for a good game - at this level you should expect such a thing, not be surprised when it happens.
    don't get me wrong, it's a bloody difficult job, but it's a job that they are trained for and this is one of the highest standards of football in the world; officiating really needs to match it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The only reason Fabregas didn't sent off was because it was after 40 seconds and he was playing for the home team.

If Henderson had made that challenge after 65 minutes you can bet anything it would have been a straight red.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Suarez didn't get into the Chelsea defence last season though?
    I mean in general terms of hassling, harrying and giving them something to think about. Lambert having 15 touches in over an hour doesn't quite tally up to Suarez's contribution, whether he scored last season or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    The only reason Fabregas didn't sent off was because it was after 40 seconds and he was playing for the home team.

If Henderson had made that challenge after 65 minutes you can bet anything it would have been a straight red.
    true, however the question then is whether referee's leniency should change according to the time in a match?

do we want referees to be consistent or not?
    I always hear people saying thing like "it would've ruined the game if he gave a red card early on".
    that's absolute rubbish in my opinion.
    the fact is that the match is ruined when a clear game changing decision is called wrong.

the job of a referee is to keep the game fair and according to the rules.
    they aim to do this by maintaining a standard pattern of officiating across the entire sport all over the world.
    if a player like fabregas is foolish enough to make such an awful (potentially career-ending) challenge on another player so early in to the game, that's his own fault and he would be right to be dismissed regardless of whether it's in the 1st minute or the 90th minute.

ReputationRep:
    It just shows that we should introduce video replays and reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    It just shows that we should introduce video replays and reviews.
    Precisely.

When you look at how painfully bad the refereeing level in the PL has been this season, it's a no brainer to me.

The argument that it'll slow the game down doesn't make much sense to me - all you need to do is operate a clock-stopping system like in rugby.

I just feel like FIFA are scared that people are going to think they're copying other sports and they're too proud to do so.
    The fact is that video replays are the way forward at a time where big decisions are being called wrong in every single game, every single week.

We already have goal-line technology; lets just bump it up.
    At least give it a bloody trial somewhere.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This season has been nothing short of woeful for refereeing and officiating. It's laughable Moss has been given the FA Cup Final, given the fact that he has never been given charge of a top four clash, and the other week he farcically sent off Duff for Burnley at West Ham when he wasn't the last man and it was within the first few minutes of the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    This season has been nothing short of woeful for refereeing and officiating. It's laughable Moss has been given the FA Cup Final, given the fact that he has never been given charge of a top four clash, and the other week he farcically sent off Duff for Burnley at West Ham when he wasn't the last man and it was within the first few minutes of the game.
    seem to say this every season, but it's the worst year of refereeing i've ever seen.
    no question.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    seem to say this every season, but it's the worst year of refereeing i've ever seen.
    no question.
    It seems to get worse every year, yeah. I'm all for the implementation of technology, because it seems a lot of these referees are going into decision-making knowing that every eye across the world is on them. They need help.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.