Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So my grandad passed away yesterday and my first exam is on Tuesday. I have 23 exams in total and I just a have a few questions
    -I already do my gcses In my college and to stay on at this college I need to get at least 6 c's. I only applied to this college because I'm predicted A's in all subjects and many people did the same.
    But I can't concentrate on anything. How am I supposed to? I can't revise. My mum's gone to India for the funeral so I'm staying at a family friends house till she comes back next week.
    -I don't want to do my exams in the main hall because if I start crying I don't want 300 other people staring at me.
    And any other advice you have really
    Anj
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Can you speak to your school exam officer?
    They could get you a room to do your exams in on your own so no need to worry about any tears.
    Its okay to not be able to concentrate its completely understandable, can I suggest maybe you say I ll do a little work now but I can have 10 minutes to worry/be upset after this ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anjali.S16)
    So my grandad passed away yesterday and my first exam is on Tuesday. I have 23 exams in total and I just a have a few questions
    -I already do my gcses In my college and to stay on at this college I need to get at least 6 c's. I only applied to this college because I'm predicted A's in all subjects and many people did the same.
    But I can't concentrate on anything. How am I supposed to? I can't revise. My mum's gone to India for the funeral so I'm staying at a family friends house till she comes back next week.
    -I don't want to do my exams in the main hall because if I start crying I don't want 300 other people staring at me.
    Anj
    sorry to hear that.You dont have to do it in the main hall, there are exception made and people are allowed on their own in a classroom with an invidulator. you would have to speak to your exam-coordinator or teacher to arrange this.

ReputationRep:
    Anj
    hey anj, sorry about your grandad passing
    your gcses are important, im sure your grandad would have wanted you to focus and to do well in them too, try your best revising and just relax
    perhaps you could go to a library and revise there/revise with a friend there?
    and if this has had an effect on you go to your exam officer and tell them that you want to apply for extenuating circumstances
    also dw about crying in the exam hall, think of good things like what youre doing in the summer after ur gcses & even if you do cry i promise you everyone is too concentrated on their papers to see
    last year apparently a girl got kicked out of my exam hall because she had a phone but i didnt even notice !

good luck and try your best x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Anjali,

Firstly, not to jump to conclusions but I take it your indian? If so I am too, just putting it there. I'm really sorry to hear that, but your grandad is in a better place now. Your doing GCSE's right? Talk to your school's exam officer, it can be arranged for you to sit your exams in a separate room with another invigilator, so you don't feel too burdened. I'm sure you'll also be permitted for special marking requests, because it must be a difficult time for you. Other than that I'm not sure what else can be done, don't stress too much and if you ever want to talk to someone about anything feel free to message me. All the best !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Can you speak to your school exam officer?
    They could get you a room to do your exams in on your own so no need to worry about any tears.
    Its okay to not be able to concentrate its completely understandable, can I suggest maybe you say I ll do a little work now but I can have 10 minutes to worry/be upset after this ?
    Thanks you I think I could. I can't even take any days off for bereavement because I can't afford to. And 3ven if I do then ill have to sit and do revision because I can't waste time. I'll talk to my head of year first thing tommrow x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsJeff)
    sorry to hear that.You dont have to do it in the main hall, there are exception made and people are allowed on their own in a classroom with an invidulator. you would have to speak to your exam-coordinator or teacher to arrange this.
    But will they be able to considering exams start tommrow? And thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasmin#2)
    hey anj, sorry about your grandad passing
    your gcses are important, im sure your grandad would have wanted you to focus and to do well in them too, try your best revising and just relax
    perhaps you could go to a library and revise there/revise with a friend there?
    and if this has had an effect on you go to your exam officer and tell them that you want to apply for extenuating circumstances
    also dw about crying in the exam hall, think of good things like what youre doing in the summer after ur gcses & even if you do cry i promise you everyone is too concentrated on their papers to see
    last year apparently a girl got kicked out of my exam hall because she had a phone but i didnt even notice !

good luck and try your best x
    Thankyou I'm sure he would have too. What is exentuating circumstances? X
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    But will they be able to considering exams start tommrow? And thank you x
    my grandad had a heart attack the night before i had 3 exams and they got me a room to myself for the day so its definitely doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikaHina)
    Hi Anjali,

Firstly, not to jump to conclusions but I take it your indian? If so I am too, just putting it there. I'm really sorry to hear that, but your grandad is in a better place now. Your doing GCSE's right? Talk to your school's exam officer, it can be arranged for you to sit your exams in a separate room with another invigilator, so you don't feel too burdened. I'm sure you'll also be permitted for special marking requests, because it must be a difficult time for you. Other than that I'm not sure what else can be done, don't stress too much and if you ever want to talk to someone about anything feel free to message me. All the best !
    Thanks you and yes I am Indian. I know they do a a room for students who have anxiety and need extra time and stuff so ill probably be put in there. X

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou I'm sure he would have too. What is exentuating circumstances? X
    its where you had circumstances from preventing you from doing ur best
    the examiners are more lenient and the total mark would be around 3-5% higher than what it was without it
    doesnt seem like much but that could be the difference between 2 grades

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you and yes I am Indian. I know they do a a room for students who have anxiety and need extra time and stuff so ill probably be put in there. X
    Awesome xD me too, thats good then, hopefully all will go well then, I'll be wishing the best for you !

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.