Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How do home students feel about foreign students settling here for good? Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I personally do not get the reasons for sending them back.
    London is crowded and overfilled , but the UK is not.
    I heard that only 10% British land is built on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratach)
    Now that the Conservative Party has won the elections, we are expecting a tightening of the immigration rules. Post-study work visa was scrapped by the Coalition government, and Theresa May (perhaps infamously) came up with the plans to kick us out after we graduate - only to be blocked by George Osbourne et al.

I understand British people's concerns about the influx of low-skilled workers some of whom come here to exploit the welfare system, but is there a similar hostility towards international students as well? After all we pay thousands of pounds into the system before we expect to get anything out of it.

To be frank I am beginning to feel the current government and the people who support them only see us as cash cows who should not be entitled to choose whether or not they want to continue living in the UK. Considering all the investment my family and I made for the sake of building a new future for myself, I find this attitude alienating. Whenever my friends back home ask me if they should count on finding a job here before they decide to take up their UK university offer, I am less and less inclined to give them positive answers.
    I know someone who did her PG studies, as well as wanting to get a job but unfortunately for her, she didn't get the job that she hoped for and had to go back home.

Have you finished your studies and found a job so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratach)
    Now that the Conservative Party has won the elections, we are expecting a tightening of the immigration rules. Post-study work visa was scrapped by the Coalition government, and Theresa May (perhaps infamously) came up with the plans to kick us out after we graduate - only to be blocked by George Osbourne et al.

I understand British people's concerns about the influx of low-skilled workers some of whom come here to exploit the welfare system, but is there a similar hostility towards international students as well? After all we pay thousands of pounds into the system before we expect to get anything out of it.

To be frank I am beginning to feel the current government and the people who support them only see us as cash cows who should not be entitled to choose whether or not they want to continue living in the UK. Considering all the investment my family and I made for the sake of building a new future for myself, I find this attitude alienating. Whenever my friends back home ask me if they should count on finding a job here before they decide to take up their UK university offer, I am less and less inclined to give them positive answers.
    I remember reading an article where some Universities, mainly London based one's were proactively aiming for international students to join their ranks primarily because of the higher tuition fee's and higher amount of money they can earn from having them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm all for the free movement of labour/people, and as a graduate, I'm sure you have a lot to offer the UK.

However, realistically, most universities do view international students as cash cows. Equally, some people might welcome less competition for graduate jobs.

A lot of people have an ignorant attitude to immigration in the UK, mainly as they have been led to blame immigrants for issues that are more often caused by other factors. More needs to be done by people on the other side of the argument to educate people about the benefits of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I feel like there is enough competition for graduate jobs with just British/EU grads applying, let alone International ones too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine with international students settling here, so long as they're in decent jobs, paying tax and generally contributing more than they're taking out of the system.

(Original post by Thomson2013)
    I remember reading an article where some Universities, mainly London based one's were proactively aiming for international students to join their ranks primarily because of the higher tuition fee's and higher amount of money they can earn from having them.
    All universities recruit international students because of the fees. The obvious reason is because of the higher fees, which is true. However, the more subtle reason is because there are only two sources of income that universities are allowed to spend as they wish - one is donations, and the other is international tuition fees. Many a shiny new campus building has been built using international tuition fee money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The irony that UKIP is better for international students than the other parties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    The irony that UKIP is better for international students than the other parties
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with regulating people without citizenship status. You're essentially a visitor. It's just unfair to say the least like if someone foreign visited your home country and got the same representation, privileges, rights, etc as you did, to the point where gov't funds are accommodated in their favour, whilst you continue to struggle, you'd normally be outraged, no? It's diplomatic, democratic and liberal to a fault to say otherwise.

Like people think when they look at me and then consider my demographic (nonwhite, working class, female) that I not only would be sympathetic to foreigners, but should be sympathetic to foreigners (who many people presume are struggling, hence their arrival in pursuit of a better life-even though that's not always the case; I deem immigrants pretty lucky and fortunate to be able to even leave their country b/c most people cannot afford the migration :rolleyes:. The ones who are stuck in their country are the ones I empathise with), but I'm not sympathetic to visitors/international students and illegals if they cannot get coverage.

Nor should I be. I'm not an immigrant; I'm a descendant of free slaves who make do in a new world :closedeyes:. And sure making do has a lot to do with political sympathy, as people feel non-citizens should be granted as well, but there is a huge difference between being forced to come somewhere and then being let go with nothing (slavery), and then choosing to come and expecting rights (non-citizens).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feline_Nymphet)
    I don't see anything wrong with regulating people without citizenship status. You're essentially a visitor. It's just unfair to say the least like if someone foreign visited your home country and got the same representation, privileges, rights, etc as you did, to the point where gov't funds are accommodated in their favour, whilst you continue to struggle, you'd normally be outraged, no? It's diplomatic, democratic and liberal to a fault to say otherwise.

Like people think when they look at me and then consider my demographic (nonwhite, working class, female) that I not only would be sympathetic to foreigners, but should be sympathetic to foreigners (who many people presume are struggling, hence their arrival in pursuit of a better life-even though that's not always the case; I deem immigrants pretty lucky and fortunate to be able to even leave their country b/c most people cannot afford the migration :rolleyes:. The ones who are stuck in their country are the ones I empathise with), but I'm not sympathetic to visitors/international students and illegals if they cannot get coverage.

Nor should I be. I'm not an immigrant; I'm a descendant of free slaves who make do in a new world :closedeyes:. And sure making do has a lot to do with political sympathy, as people feel non-citizens should be granted as well, but there is a huge difference between being forced to come somewhere and then being let go with nothing (slavery), and then choosing to come and expecting rights (non-citizens).
    Well seems like I need to emphasise again that not only am I paying the full costs of studying here, I am going to find a job on my own merits and pay my living costs from my salary. I do not feel entitled to the same privileges as UK nationals but I think I do deserve my place in the job-market after having studied here for 3 years. Plus what's so wrong with a foreign national who wants to contribute to YOUR economy rather than that of their own country where they would be much better respected?

ReputationRep:
    I voted UKIP, but I have no problems with foreign graduates settling here

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, international students should be automatically put on an accelerated track to residency and citizenship. They've already spent 3-5 years here integrating into our society, they have an advanced skill set and they've contributed a significant amount to our economy. It's a no brainer.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.