Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

How will benefit receipients who voted Tory feel in 5 years? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's no way you get 37% of the vote (or however much it was) without a few people voting against their interests...

This is what comes to mind: http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5899817

How will these people feel in a few years?

ReputationRep:
    these people have put the common good ahead of selfish interests. they are to be applauded. in 5 years' time the country should be in an excellent position thanks to the inspirational leadership of the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    I think it went like this:

Group 1) Nearly all of the UK middle class voted Conservative

Group 2) Xenophobic anti-immigrant section of the working class which would never vote Conservative and would otherwise vote Labour, voted UKIP

Group 3) The remaining section of pro-multicultural working class voted Labour, combined with some middle class intellectuals (never enough of them in the swing constituencies, especially giving that group nr 2 voted UKIP)

Group 4) Many genuine leftists voted Green instead of Labour in swing constituencies, thereby reducing the power of group nr 3

In conclusion: Labour lost because of middle class Conservatives, working class UKIP, leftist Greens (and of course wipeout in Scotland).

ReputationRep:
    By benefit recipients what do you mean?

Do you mean families with children that are in receipt of tax credits?
    Do you mean older people in receipt of pensions?

Yes I am sure many of these voted Conservative and also if they really are going to knock £12bn off the benefits bill, it will involve some significant reductions in household income for people that regard themselves as middle class and well off. But thats what comes with the territory of reducing welfare in a universal system, yes the poor will bear the brunt of it but there will also be reductions in what goes to better off households and this will reduce their disposable income in the same way that a tax rise would.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of them will be very happy.

The Tories are only against certain benefits.

They'll try to cut or take people off means tested benefits for those on low income.

They won't touch non-mean tested benefits that go to the middle classes like winter full payments or free bus passes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Plenty of them will be very happy.

The Tories are only against certain benefits.

They'll try to cut or take people off means tested benefits for those on low income.

They won't touch non-mean tested benefits that go to the middle classes like winter full payments or free bus passes.
    I think you might be surprised. This result gives him the political power to get rid of these Labour-invented monstrosities,

In a package of benefit cuts, it will be much harder for people to demand their perks are protected.

ReputationRep:
    I can vote for thieves to be imprisoned, although this is technically against my interests because it means I can't steal anyones money

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.