Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing this exam? If so, any idea of what topics might come up? I'm quite confident on everything apart from getting nitrifying and denitifying bacteria mixed up!
    Good luck to everyone taking the exam :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethmitchxll)
    Anyone else doing this exam? If so, any idea of what topics might come up? I'm quite confident on everything apart from getting nitrifying and denitifying bacteria mixed up!
    Good luck to everyone taking the exam :-)
    I am too :-) Good luck!!

I wouldn't like to say what would come up, but I haven't seen commercial use of plant hormones (rooting powder, ethene etc.) in a while and ring species. There's also almost always something on chordata and the nervous system. Maybe even a reflex arc 6 marker?? It's really hard to predict though, I'm probably wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Carbon or nitrogen cycle
    Parasites and Mutalists
    Reflex Arc
    Diabetes
    This year should be easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi47)
    I am too :-) Good luck!!

I wouldn't like to say what would come up, but I haven't seen commercial use of plant hormones (rooting powder, ethene etc.) in a while and ring species. There's also almost always something on chordata and the nervous system. Maybe even a reflex arc 6 marker?? It's really hard to predict though, I'm probably wrong...
    Ahh thank you! Hopefully these will come up as they're okay topics

ReputationRep:
    Eek learn your nitrogen cycle bacteria! I am about 100000 percent sure the nitrogen cycle is going to come up as it hasn't come up in ages. This probably doesn't help but denitryifying bacteria returns excess nitrates back intro nitrogen gas because it's 'de' so its doing the opposite to the rest? Idk, anyway good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER)
    Carbon or nitrogen cycle
    Parasites and Mutalists
    Reflex Arc
    Diabetes
    This year should be easy
    "SHOULD"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _ariane29)
    Eek learn your nitrogen cycle bacteria! I am about 100000 percent sure the nitrogen cycle is going to come up as it hasn't come up in ages. This probably doesn't help but denitryifying bacteria returns excess nitrates back intro nitrogen gas because it's 'de' so its doing the opposite to the rest? Idk, anyway good luck
    Thanks so much! Our class didn't have a teacher for the whole of B1 so we are in for a shock! Thankfully taught myself it all!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing this exam too! I'm so nervous. I have a feeling one of the cycles will come up, but hopefully it won't as i'm terrible at explaining both. Any tips on understanding it?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethmitchxll)
    Thanks so much! Our class didn't have a teacher for the whole of B1 so we are in for a shock! Thankfully taught myself it all!
    Aw I know how you feel. We didn't have a teacher for most of chemistry and physics and I wasted all of last year not listening in class so I had to teach myself literally everything Has been worth it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEJ14)
    I am doing this exam too! I'm so nervous. I have a feeling one of the cycles will come up, but hopefully it won't as i'm terrible at explaining both. Any tips on understanding it?!?
    Hmm. . . for the nitrogen cycle you only really need to learn the uses of the four bacteria and the rest will come to you! You could try breaking it down into steps because the diagrams are too confusing and idk I don't get anywhere with them.

For the carbon cycle you should do the same. I know MyGCSEScience has a video on it that breaks it down into like 4 steps or something. Just learn that carbon is needed by plants to make glucose and nitrogen to make proteins for plant growth because you can score low if you don't mention it.

Don't worry too much you still have time to learn it everyone is nervous but it will probably be easier than we are expecting

ReputationRep:
    I am too and same I just need to work on remembering how the body regulates glucose and pollution indicators
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh i have mine too this Tuesday!

I learned the carbon cycle so quickly but the nitrogen cycle is so hard its unbelievable! I just can't remember the scientific terms

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. . . for the nitrogen cycle you only really need to learn the uses of the four bacteria and the rest will come to you! You could try breaking it down into steps because the diagrams are too confusing and idk I don't get anywhere with them.

For the carbon cycle you should do the same. I know MyGCSEScience has a video on it that breaks it down into like 4 steps or something. Just learn that carbon is needed by plants to make glucose and nitrogen to make proteins for plant growth because you can score low if you don't mention it.

Don't worry too much you still have time to learn it everyone is nervous but it will probably be easier than we are expecting
    ohh okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I agree!

ReputationRep:
    I think this year is going to be harder than last year's because i did last year's science exams for mocks and they were terribly easy. Hopefully we do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_March)
    I think this year is going to be harder than last year's because i did last year's science exams for mocks and they were terribly easy. Hopefully we do well
    Ohh I really hope that they will not be too difficult! I can agree that the 2014 papers were fairly easy, but maybe topics that we are quite confident on will come up this year! Good luck to everyone for Tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_March)
    Yes chemistry was too easy it was actually quite unnerving how easy it was. But physics was hard Too hard than normal I didn't like that paper.

I seriously feel like edexcel are trying new stuff out. Normally they just recycled old questions but last year I saw quite a few topics I've never seen before like them shock absorbers and the plant hormones experiment. Fingers crossed its easy everyone

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. . . for the nitrogen cycle you only really need to learn the uses of the four bacteria and the rest will come to you!
    Wait what there's 4? Nitrogen fixing, denitrifying,nitrifying and what was the last one? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuchin1)
    Wait what there's 4? Nitrogen fixing, denitrifying,nitrifying and what was the last one? :eek:
    Decomposer bacteria? Decomposes the proteins from dead plants and animals and the urea from animal excretion into ammonia.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh thanks a lot
    good luck guys

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.