Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why am i like this? Bf says im weird. Watch

I hate being female, its like ive always been classsed as weird for doing normal things. My boyfriend winds me up when talking about our childhoods he said im a weird person and was brought up as a boy. Ive always liked climbing, sport etc and have never been girly but thats just what ive always been interested in i dont know why. He said that climbing is a boys thing and that at about 12 girls normally have instincts to wear make up/ try on their mums heels etc but i did none of that and never wear skirts as I just dont feel like its me. He said hes never known a girl who has gone out climbing and play fighting etc, i didnt play fight but i guess i always wanted to.

Its annoying being called weird for it though. For some reason ive always associated being girly/dresses and all that as being weak I suppose it would have been easier if id have just been a lad. I wouldnt mind being female if my boyish nature was classed as normal but i feel like im expected to wear make up / skirts etc. im in my twenties so its just how i am.

ReputationRep:
    that's not weird i know many girls now and when i was that age who do things like climbing trees and not being interested in make up.

your bf is wrong, thats normal. just not all girls have the confidence you had to ignore the stereotypes and do what they wanted

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been attracted to women. I would say you are just not a girly girl it doesn't make you weird a lot of girls are like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive always liked climbing, sport etc and have never been girly
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Have you ever been attracted to women.
    Haha, stereotypes much?

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    Have you ever been attracted to women. I would say you are just not a girly girl it doesn't make you weird a lot of girls are like that.
    No but my bf probably thinks I am as I don't like sex and always try to avoid it. I'm attracted to men as in I get crushes on them but then I don't have the urge for sex.

ReputationRep:
    I hate being female, its like ive always been classsed as weird for doing normal things. My boyfriend winds me up when talking about our childhoods he said im a weird person and was brought up as a boy. Ive always liked climbing, sport etc and have never been girly but thats just what ive always been interested in i dont know why. He said that climbing is a boys thing and that at about 12 girls normally have instincts to wear make up/ try on their mums heels etc but i did none of that and never wear skirts as I just dont feel like its me. He said hes never known a girl who has gone out climbing and play fighting etc, i didnt play fight but i guess i always wanted to.

Its annoying being called weird for it though. For some reason ive always associated being girly/dresses and all that as being weak I suppose it would have been easier if id have just been a lad. I wouldnt mind being female if my boyish nature was classed as normal but i feel like im expected to wear make up / skirts etc. im in my twenties so its just how i am.
    Ahh just tell him to p*ss off. He's probably just jealous because he can barely climb stairs let alone anything else. Honestly if he's looking for a girly girl then he should go and find one. There's nothing abnormal about your hobbies, plenty of girls have similar interests. Just continue to do you!

i am a tomboy too. being girly just makes you look like there is nothing distinct about you, it also makes you look like your way too in to yourself, as fake and short dresses just make you look like someone off towie. some guys will like that, but they are usually just the male equivalents or some meat head.

ReputationRep:
    No but my bf probably thinks I am as I don't like sex and always try to avoid it. I'm attracted to men as in I get crushes on them but then I don't have the urge for sex.
    I'm similar! I get crushes on guys but I don't have a very high sex drive... I guess it'll change as I get older.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing weird about it lol I was a tomboy most my life until a few years ago tbh Actually, like 10 years ago or so. But then I'm 26... I was such a tomboy as a kid. In many ways I still am. I prefer high-top Converse to heels and wear minimal makeup (sometimes none).

ReputationRep:
    I was a total gamer

lvl: 118 runescape
    finished COD 4, COD MW2, COD MW3 (top prestige, except mw3)
    Watched the god father, scarface etc.. when I was very little and about 10000 times in my life.
    Love gangster/action movies.
    I used to play football with the lads
    I had more guy friends and I'd chill with my big bro's friends.
    and **** like a bruh

u mirin?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but your boyfriend is rude and mean.
    He probably doesn't understand that what he is telling you is a convention of the world he lives in (some of these conventions can be good some can be bad)
    Why don't you try explaining that this is you and he should stop taunting you because it bugs you/upsets you.
    Tell him you don't question whether he is manly enough because he's been upset before or because he hasn't beaten up every man who has ever looked at you or he doesn't work out 5 hours a day.

Also tell him he needs to accept you the way you are. You may wear jeans and a t shirt and prefer paint balling to dresses and spa days but that doesn't make you any less of a woman.
    That's just who you are. Tell him to like it or lump it

Also about the sex, don't Worry! Everyone is different. Some people have a huge sex drive from puberty, most people develop it as they get older or when they get close to a particular person some will never want it...your sex drive has nothing to do with wanting to climb trees lol chill out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    I was a total gamer

lvl: 118 runescape
    finished COD 4, COD MW2, COD MW3 (top prestige, except mw3)
    Watched the god father, scarface etc.. when I was very little and about 10000 times in my life.
    Love gangster/action movies.
    I used to play football with the lads
    I had more guy friends and I'd chill with my big bro's friends.
    and **** like a bruh

u mirin?
    can i have your runescape account?

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend needs to get over himself! It sounds like he likes getting you riled up!
    You are, of course, perfectly normal! And hey, he must like you the way your are too because you are, in fact, his girlfriend! He's liking something about you!

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you like, you have no need to conform to anyone's ideas of what 'female' is

ReputationRep:
    It's weird that he's trying to put you in a gender-defined box.

He must like you the way you are, or he wouldn't be with you, so I guess he probably doesn't mean it as criticism. Just that you're unusual "for a girl." Ho hum.

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend thinks your weird because you like climbing and sports? Your boyfriend sounds like the weird one here!

When I was in highschool in my year there were girls that had interests like:

Girl 1: Cars and would usually have her car on a ramp doing all sorts of mods to it

Girl 2: loved boxing and lifting weights to basically get bulked up

Girl 3: Was a heavy gamer that would be the quickscope queen of CoD

Used Girl 1,2,3 as I didnt want to use names but yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that I'm not the only female who is boyish there are loads about. I guess it's because I'm boyish in most ways like I never wear dresses/skirts, heels plus there is nothing girly about me, apart from my hair is longer than the average mans. He also found it strange that my mum collected ww1 Enfield rifles. He wanted to see them so I took them round and he said he could understand my dad being interested but that he was really surprised and found it odd that a lady would have bought them. I suppose my mums a tomboy too and was interested lol.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Do what you want. F*** the gender binary!

ReputationRep:
    I don't even understand the issue...I think it's just your boyfriend's mindset to be honest.

You like what you like...just because you are female doesn't mean you have to like certain things/talk a certain way/walk a certain way etc...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.