Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocj98)
    Do I have to know data for my fieldwork for section 2?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes the question at the end requires it e.g
    Referring to your results, outline the main conclusions of your enquiry and suggest
    further areas of research (8)
    That is almost 20% on one question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaynamodi)
    If the question asks about your conclusions can I use spearmans rank scores or do I have to use individual pieces of data that I got from the different points along the river?

Spearmans is perfectly fine, I'm retaiking this paper but when I did it last time I got L2 on that question for refering to data and I used my spearmans

ReputationRep:
    For questions asking about further research opportunities, what can you write?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    going through past questions found this ' outline one technique that you used to present one aspect of your primary research and explain why it was appropriate?
    could you talk about analysis or presentation?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what kind of points can you make to describe patterns show by Trip, Desire or Flow line maps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsure_Student)
    Could you explain this to me? I'm so confused and panicking!
    SD is basically just showing the spread of your data about the mean. So say you worked out an average of 20 and a standard deviation of 3 (hypothetical), then you should expect 68% of your data/results to lie within 1 SD either side of the mean, therefore 68% of your data should lie within 17 (20-3) - 23 (20+3). The main thing to comment on in regards SD is the variation of your results. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minnieh21)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd talk about doing another study somewhere different e.g. on a larger river (Thames) to see how your results match it and how it compares to the Bradshaw model. You could then add that a new line of enquiry could arise from the study e.g studying load size and if that actually did get smaller because of attrition etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minnieh21)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If one of your conclusions didn't match your expectations, then say you can research the characteristics of the river, to try and explain why it didn't change as expected. You could investigate another river, and you could try and collect your data on a different day, with different preceding weather conditions to see if the trends remain the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hammy_23)
    going through past questions found this ' outline one technique that you used to present one aspect of your primary research and explain why it was appropriate?
    could you talk about analysis or presentation?
    If your technique allowed you to take it to a greater level of analysis or allowed you to then further explore the significance of your data, for example a scattergraph showing the general correlation and then a spearmans giving you the specific correlation, then you can use the spearmans to say why it was appropriate to do the scattergraph, as that was the first part in establishing whether there was a correlation at all.

Sorry for the rambling explanation there. Basically yes to analysis so long as it links to the presentation technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice.p)
    If your technique allowed you to take it to a greater level of analysis or allowed you to then further explore the significance of your data, for example a scattergraph showing the general correlation and then a spearmans giving you the specific correlation, then you can use the spearmans to say why it was appropriate to do the scattergraph, as that was the first part in establishing whether there was a correlation at all.

Sorry for the rambling explanation there. Basically yes to analysis so long as it links to the presentation technique.
    no worries and thank you!!
    I'll stick to presentation when it says present easier to explain for me haha. Although this year i think analysis will come up

ReputationRep:
    I'll stick to presentation when it says present easier to explain for me haha. Although this year i think analysis will come up
    You are most welcome. Yeah, pretty sure analysis didn't come up last year. I'm retaking and I don't particularly remember it. Good luck for later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r055grn)
    SD is basically just showing the spread of your data about the mean. So say you worked out an average of 20 and a standard deviation of 3 (hypothetical), then you should expect 68% of your data/results to lie within 1 SD either side of the mean, therefore 68% of your data should lie within 17 (20-3) - 23 (20+3). The main thing to comment on in regards SD is the variation of your results. Hope this helps
    Thank you so much that's really helpful! I'm probably being really thick, but where did you get 68% from? Sorry to be a pain, we just haven't been taught any of this in class haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice.p)
    You are most welcome. Yeah, pretty sure analysis didn't come up last year. I'm retaking and I don't particularly remember it. Good luck for later.
    Yep I am retaking this unit as well. Plus this paper is marked quite harshly imo Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsure_Student)
    Thank you so much that's really helpful! I'm probably being really thick, but where did you get 68% from? Sorry to be a pain, we just haven't been taught any of this in class haha!
    No worries! It's just a general statistical rule of thumb/rule, I'm not sure how they arrived at it either hahahahahah

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions at all?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher says interquartile range probably won't be on the test but standard deviation might.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh okay, I'm retaking and IQR was in last years, do we need to know the standard deviation equation by heart?

ReputationRep:
    You won't get any marks for talking about analysis in a presentation question, your only allowance is pretty much a line of best fit on a scatter graph but definitely don't talk about any statistical tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xela238)
    Any predictions at all?
    Trip/Desire/Flow line maps, and Standard devation

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.