Is the exam at 1pm or 1.30pm?
    1.30 pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irMike)
    Is the exam at 1pm or 1.30pm?
    My timetable says 1:15pm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaggles123)

Each school can set the time itself, mine is 1.30, but you need to check what the afternoon session time is at your school.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain spearman ranks answers for me? Let's say my spearman rank answer is 0.76, what does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain spearman ranks answers for me? Let's say my spearman rank answer is 0.76, what does this mean?

It means nothing unless you compare it to a critical value, you need to look up how many samples you had on a critical value table.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilaJ)
    Each school can set the time itself, mine is 1.30, but you need to check what the afternoon session time is at your school.
    Oh I see I thought it was 2pm everywhere! I'm scared I've got the wrong time now

ReputationRep:
    If you compare that against your critical value and your value is higher, you reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternative as to be true. If 0.76 is lower than the critical value, you accept the null hypothesis.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see I thought it was 2pm everywhere! I'm scared I've got the wrong time now

The paper just states 'afternoon' then schools have to sit students between 1pm and 2pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilaJ)
    It means nothing unless you compare it to a critical value, you need to look up how many samples you had on a critical value table.
    The critical value is what I don't understand. If we get a question on spearmans rank will there be a critical value (the 95% and 99%) table

ReputationRep:
    The critical value is what I don't understand. If we get a question on spearmans rank will there be a critical value (the 95% and 99%) table

Nope you have to remember the critical values yourself for your own data, if it comes up in the skills section they will give you the values for their data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilaJ)
    The paper just states 'afternoon' then schools have to sit students between 1pm and 2pm.
    Oh okay that's fine then

ReputationRep:
    Compare your value and your number of pairs of data (n) against this table. If your value is higher, there is a significant relationship.
    http://media3.bmth.ac.uk/spss/image%20bank/page_221.jpg

ReputationRep:
    How many data samples do you recommend remembering? I did succession and development of sand dunes. Since we used percentage coverage of species I am guessing I should remember at least 3 percentages? Like near the beach the percentage of species was 2%, on yellow dunes about 80% and on the hearth it was 100%.

ReputationRep:
    0.76 is a fairly strong positive correlation, though there are different levels of significance depending on how many x values you have. Eg if you don't have many, a critical values table (you can probably find one online) may tell you that you need to have 0.8 or something for the correlation to be due to a relationship rather than chance, so then in the exam you could say that it's not high enough to be significant, or that it is high enough or whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dieselblue)
    How many data samples do you recommend remembering? I did succession and development of sand dunes. Since we used percentage coverage of species I am guessing I should remember at least 3 percentages? Like near the beach the percentage of species was 2%, on yellow dunes about 80% and on the hearth it was 100%.
    2 or 3!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to have used Spearmans rank in your fieldwork or could you say you have used other statistical tests such as Mann Whitney U? Im retaking from last year but using different fieldwork so havent used Speamans rank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuffy.)
    Do you have to have used Spearmans rank in your fieldwork or could you say you have used other statistical tests such as Mann Whitney U? Im retaking from last year but using different fieldwork so havent used Speamans rank.

They don't mind what test you use as far as I know, however Mann Whitney U is not on the AS specification it is an A2 test only. I think you should be fine, I am retaking too but I am using the same coursework I used last time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NilaJ)
    They don't mind what test you use as far as I know, however Mann Whitney U is not on the AS specification it is an A2 test only. I think you should be fine, I am retaking too but I am using the same coursework I used last time.
    Ok cheers, just wanted to check and put my mind more at rest. Good luck with your exam !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuffy.)
    Ok cheers, just wanted to check and put my mind more at rest. Good luck with your exam !!

Thanks! You too! hoping for an A in this so I can access the A* this year in A2!

ReputationRep:

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.