Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harishkohli)
    I spoke to my teacher who is head of geog in my school. He said that it was similar to the Jan 2013 paper.
    He said (roughly)
    A - 37
    B - 34
    C - 31
    D - 26
    E - 24

These seem really high though but hoping they come down a bit
    That's wrong the boundries will be lower than last year this paper was harder.

ReputationRep:
    Overall, my thoughts was that it was a much easier paper than last year.

I would ask though because I hardly revised the core units but I did mention that Belle Heath was in the rural/urban fringe, is this correct? I kept thinking that it may be classed as rural because despite being relatively large the only amenity was the pharmacy.

The flow line question was quite hard though I have to admit. I feel I messed up the scale when drawing the lines which was 4 marks. For the describe and comment on the pattern, I said stuff like the general pattern is that there is greater movement of people from Belle Heath explaining why like the size of the desire lines to like Birmingham, Manchester and Chester. I then also said that not only do more people travel to work they also travel to more places locally e.g. the ones they visited compared to Belle Vue who they didn't visit. I then gave reasons why for example the people living in Belle Vue have greater opportunities to work by being are more urban area. I also put that it is expected to be more expensive within Belle Heath and therefore people need to travel further to access higher quality jobs. I then stated figures ect although less than I should have, I probably should have included more figures and less description of the names although it was just describe the pattern so I did get the overall pattern in.

As for the standard deviation it was literally something you had to learn/practice to get the marks.

Section B was really nice this year compared to last year despite the 2 questions being 8 markers, those questions were actually nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JgR1997)
    Thank you, the last question about analyzing data, is standard deviation an appropriate way to analyze data? I think I've seen it before as an exemplar but unsure because other people are saying different things, eg correlation and spearman's rank
    I'm not sure tbh, I used Spearman's Rank. I know a few of my friends used Scatter Graphs.

ReputationRep:
    Ca someone tell me if I did the last 8 marker right? Please I'm like worried sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael51)
    I kinda messed up the last question too, as I was running out of time. I was describing Spearman's Rank quite well I think, but then I didn't have time to put down any advantages and I ended by talking about how I got 0.61 as the R value. Will this mean that I'll only be able to get 6 maximum marks out of 8?
    Hmm, that's a tricky one because analysing data is quite implicit. I was quite unsure of what i wrote to be honest I emailed my teacher. This was his reponse to what I should have written:

"you are explaining how any technique helped you understand the data. This can also be stats -eg Spearmans as well as say the scattergraph or choropleth. This might need more reference to the results and your understanding of them"

Did you say how spearmans help analyse your data? Like it gave your results confidence or compared back to hypothesis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rstlss)
    To be honest I hope your right, and I kinda agree but that's what he suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewispaulfrank)
    Ca someone tell me if I did the last 8 marker right? Please I'm like worried sick
    What did you write?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that's a tricky one because analysing data is quite implicit. I was quite unsure of what i wrote to be honest I emailed my teacher. This was his reponse to what I should have written:

"you are explaining how any technique helped you understand the data. This can also be stats -eg Spearmans as well as say the scattergraph or choropleth. This might need more reference to the results and your understanding of them"

Did you say how spearmans help analyse your data? Like it gave your results confidence or compared back to hypothesis?
    It said describe so you would have had to explain how you did the test and the advantages of t

ReputationRep:
    What did you write?
    For the last question I talked about cross sectional graphs and said things that it allows easy comparison and to see if any of the factors of a rovers effect the velocity. I didn't put my data in because it didn't explicitly say it but I said that from doing those t showed us that ours didn't support the Bradshaw model. I'm worried I haven't done this right?!

ReputationRep:

Yes I said it tested 95% statistically significant, but I had to rush that sentence as time was up, so I think whoever's marking it will have a hard time reading xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blosss)
    I'm not sure tbh, I used Spearman's Rank. I know a few of my friends used Scatter Graphs.
    not to worry, i found the example from June 2012, so standard deviations are acceptable

ReputationRep:
    I hated this exam. Wasted £25 resitting it because I definitely haven't improved on my B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rstlss)
    I thought it was about the same as last years paper.

It was marked incredibly harshly last year and that was the reason why the boundaries were low I beleive. For example, I saw a friends paper which he had gotten a C on, this was because they were really harsh at giving out the marks. For example he described one of the graphs where the question was describe the pattern they gave no marks if you hadn't explicitly said something like the pattern clearly shows that x is higher than y ect.

I would say the question on desire lines and standard deviation will be a big discriminator because you couldn't answer the 5 marker after the standard deviation test if you had got it wrong because it directly asked you to refer to your calculation. The desire line graph was quite hard to see the general pattern as well.

But section B was 100x easier than last years paper. So I think grade boundaries will be relatively the same this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JgR1997)
    Thank you, the last question about analyzing data, is standard deviation an appropriate way to analyze data? I think I've seen it before as an exemplar but unsure because other people are saying different things, eg correlation and spearman's rank
    That is fine. Any statistical test is great for analysing data!

I just used Spearman's because I was getting bored with Standard Deviation after Q1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie97)
    I hated this exam. Wasted £25 resitting it because I definitely haven't improved on my B
    You never know, you might be surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzhzhzejry)
    Yeah I missed it. Apparently that was it and it was worth 2 mark. I'm just worried I missed more than one question..
    Trip lines? I know there was a question on how many people from the two settlements work elsewhere (such as Manchester), and we had to measure the amount of people who work at each area, is that the question you're on about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewispaulfrank)
    For the last question I talked about cross sectional graphs and said things that it allows easy comparison and to see if any of the factors of a rovers effect the velocity. I didn't put my data in because it didn't explicitly say it but I said that from doing those t showed us that ours didn't support the Bradshaw model. I'm worried I haven't done this right?!
    I think your answer would gain credit so don't worry because you have justified it by saying that it was useful because you could support bradshaws model ( which was your hypothesis right?) But I'm not sure it would access level 2 because there wasn't a justification of why you used it with your results. Maybe 4 or 5 / 8. But I'm not 100% sure I'm not a geog teacher
    Good luck 👍

ReputationRep:
    for the last question which asked about analysing data i said a dispersion diagram? Not really sure if this is correct, it can be used to analyse because from the results you can obtain the interquartile range, upper quartile, lower quartile and the range... Still not convinced this is what they were asking though, feel like I should have described spearman's rank instead

ReputationRep:
    **** in the last q I talked about scatter graphs rather than the spearmans rank gg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatgr)
    **** in the last q I talked about scatter graphs rather than the spearmans rank gg
    Scatter graphs can still analyse data!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.