Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    I actually meant that for section A which was marked very harshly last year despite the mark schemes they released which seemed very basic.Section B is normally marked harshly because people don't give enough detail, especially for the questions that that ask you to describe how you did something. E.g. the 8 markers which asked to describe 1 method of primary data collection and 1 method of data analysis which needs to be replicable. If someone who read your instructions couldn't replicate it you will be capped and will lose marks. But if they can you will easily get full marks for the description. Then for data collection you had to justify its use. So for example, I talked about our bedload survey and said this technique was very important for working out the bedload size at each cross section of the river, enabling us to give a mean average. This therefore helped me to accept/reject the second part of our alternative hypothesis that bedload size will decrease downstream. Added a bit more detail but you see the point.
    I knew what you meant lol, and I did a population based one lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rstlss)
    I knew what you meant lol, and I did a population based one lol
    Same issue would apply you would have to make your primary data collection and data analysis replicable to get full marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwardsheeran)
    What was the question about drawing a line that people seemed to have missed? Was it the trip lines?
    yes, it was the lines between Bomere Heath to Stafford and Belle Vue to Manchester but it was only two marks so don't worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevi14)
    For the question which was after the standard deviation Q. , did we have to mention about the standard deviation values when commenting or could we have used the other data values such as average house price (£ thousands) ???
    You should have mentioned both. Obviously if you got the answer correct you should have said what it meant. I put that due to the fact it was very high it shows that there is large variation between the prices between 2009-2011 in Heath and Vue. I then said that there is a large range as shown from the Fitz road which was £400 thousand something and the lowest which was £153 thousand. I then stated this was 3.2x more which shows that different areas are and then gave reasons such as poverty ect. I then compared the standard deviation with the one recorded for just Vue which was lower suggesting a smaller range/spread of house prices within the area. I then suggested that due to it being in an urban area houses are likely to be very similar size so this is probably why they are of similar prices. I then said compared the average house prices stating that it is very similar to the cheapest houses in the table suggesting that Vue is a much more deprived area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hammy_23)
    yeah in my opinion it will data presentation came up last time
    So, it did come up!

ReputationRep:
    People are saying they're annoyed that they missed the trip line question... But don't worry. I feel like my seeing the question and drawing one on the wrong diagram After questioning why there was already a line there is kind of a worse way to lose that mark 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, for the data analysis question I mentioned GIS maps to analyse the data by plotting on a spatial map in order to see the trends, anomalies ect. But I had originally wrote out SRCC then crossed it out for GIS (yes I know very stupid, I've been kicking myself all day ). Did I make the most foolish mistake in history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryox)
    So, it did come up!
    haha told you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harishkohli)
    I spoke to my teacher who is head of geog in my school. He said that it was similar to the Jan 2013 paper.
    He said (roughly)
    A - 37
    B - 34
    C - 31
    D - 26
    E - 24

These seem really high though but hoping they come down a bit ������
    Grade boundaries have never exceeded 35 for and A or have gone below 32 for an A this is since 2011 so for it to increase to 37 is very unlikely as well as it being a crappy move on aqa's part

ReputationRep:
    I think that I got 38/50 but I may be wrong. Taking 5 marks of because I overestimate everything means I should just clinch an A. I think overall I got a B, I'm ok with that because geography is my most hated subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanC98)
    Grade boundaries have never exceeded 35 for and A or have gone below 32 for an A this is since 2011 so for it to increase to 37 is very unlikely as well as it being a crappy move on aqa's part
    37 seems a touch high tbh i think it will be 34-35

ReputationRep:
    guys is anyone doing cambridge AS geography? There is no discussion and i don't know where to post and ask about cie AS geo? Anyone of you doing it ? Thanks xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hammy_23)
    37 seems a touch high tbh i think it will be 34-35
    I agree 33/34/35 for an A but tbh I'm really confident especially after going over SR

ReputationRep:
    I think to get an A it will but about 34, 35, 36. But then the differences between the grades will only be 3 marks meaning it will be very easy to get a low grade.

ReputationRep:
    I did zingg plot for last question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think a GIS map will be okay for a rivers investigation on the last question? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j-alevels)
    Do you think a GIS map will be okay for a rivers investigation on the last question? Anyone?
    If you used GIS for analysis (not presentation) then it should be ok.

e.g. did you relate what GIS showed you to your hypothesis or aim or the underlying theory or conclusions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilohrisl)
    guys is anyone doing cambridge AS geography? There is no discussion and i don't know where to post and ask about cie AS geo? Anyone of you doing it ? Thanks xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I am, did the exam on the 15th. I couldn't find anyone else doing it either, what did you think of the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    Can anyone remember the questions

I will try although I don't remember the mark allocation

1 Compare Belle Heath and Belle Vue 5 marks

2 Standard deviation test 6 marks

3 Describe and comment on the standard deviation test calculated while also using the data in figure 3 6 marks

4 Trip line graph 2 marks?

5 Describe and comment ion the pattern shown in figures 4a and 4b 6marks

this does add up to 25

Section B

1 Describe the advantages of your field work location 5 marks

2 Describe one method of data collection and justify the use of this technique 8 marks

3 Distinguish between quantitative and qualitative data 4 marks

4 describe one method of data analysis and outline the advantages of this technique 8marks

again adds up to 25 so must be correct. The questions may not be 100% accurate but that was the jist of what they were asking.

Hope this helps for anyone who wants to do an unofficial mark scheme or something
    Thank you so much for listing these. I feel more confident after reading this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJH123)
    Yeah I am, did the exam on the 15th. I couldn't find anyone else doing it either, what did you think of the questions?
    Omg finally someone
    I thought it was alright,well kind of
    I did weathering/population for the big sections, i think i screwed up the weathering in part A....i forgot what heave was haha
    How did you find them? I was wondering do you know roughly grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.