Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, So I am currently studying Geography at Nottingham in my 1st year, I'm towards the top end of the class and on track for a 1st. I got A* (Geography Full UMS) A* (Economics, dropped ~10UMS) A (Biology) at A-levels and have a tonne of extra-curricular under my belt.

I didn't apply for any 1st year schemes as I am working on a summer camp in the US until September, however want to try and get as much experience as possible.

1) Does anyone know if its normal for management consultancy firms to offer brief shadowing/WE days?
    2) Does any firm do short winter internships i.e. over christmas?
    3) What sort of companies are "within my range", obviously will apply to most of them just curious to see the TSR opinion on it as I am not too well versed in the industry yet. Although Nottingham might not be the traditional target university, it has been coming top of pretty much every graduate jobs tables over the past few years.

thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxLikesNoodles)
    Hey, So I am currently studying Geography at Nottingham in my 1st year, I'm towards the top end of the class and on track for a 1st. I got A* (Geography Full UMS) A* (Economics, dropped ~10UMS) A (Biology) at A-levels and have a tonne of extra-curricular under my belt.

I didn't apply for any 1st year schemes as I am working on a summer camp in the US until September, however want to try and get as much experience as possible.

1) Does anyone know if its normal for management consultancy firms to offer brief shadowing/WE days?
    2) Does any firm do short winter internships i.e. over christmas?
    3) What sort of companies are "within my range", obviously will apply to most of them just curious to see the TSR opinion on it as I am not too well versed in the industry yet. Although Nottingham might not be the traditional target university, it has been coming top of pretty much every graduate jobs tables over the past few years.

thanks in advance!
    Just checking in to say Hi. I'm coming to Notts in September.

I'd apply regardless, there has been a few cases of someone from Notts breaking into McKinsey - you never know until you try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    With regards to your Academics, no-one cares, seriously, companies just see "kid passed the aab threshold"

1) McKinsey ran a formal programme iirc, some big 4 companies call these sessions leadership programmes or talent academies
    2) Check around on websites and find out
    3) Honestly, I reckon you should target big 4 consulting firms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Just checking in to say Hi. I'm coming to Notts in September.

I'd apply regardless, there has been a few cases of someone from Notts breaking into McKinsey - you never know until you try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Solid dude, Nottingham is ace! What you studying, how come you chose to come here?

Cheers for the advice, how come your so knowledgeable for a school student or are you post grad?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Solid dude, Nottingham is ace! What you studying, how come you chose to come here?

Cheers for the advice, how come your so knowledgeable for a school student or are you post grad?
    I wish I was a 17 year old post grad! Nah, I just know a lot of professionals working in the area and trawl through data on LinkedIn to see who went where.

I'll be studying Computer Science (really want to go into Strategy Consulting/TMT I banking). I chose it because of its reputation amongst employers, its global reach and the opportunity to do a year abroad + integrated Masters in 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I wish I was a 17 year old post grad! Nah, I just know a lot of professionals working in the area and trawl through data on LinkedIn to see who went where.

I'll be studying Computer Science (really want to go into Strategy Consulting/TMT I banking). I chose it because of its reputation amongst employers, its global reach and the opportunity to do a year abroad + integrated Masters in 4 years.
    Awesome, well the big four (and other firms) have a huge presence on campus. They are always hosting booths and sponsoring societies. Nottingham Entrepreneurial society has some very close ties with EY and you get a good range of people there for networking.

Obviously LinkedIn is nice for a general idea of things, but don't take it for word all the time Everyone has different opinions on it, some say as long as your russel group its fine not matter where, many prefer nottingham grads to oxbirdge as they are "more rounded people" i.e. not trapped in a bubble and better people skills which is important in consulting. But then for jobs where they just need to sit behind a desk all day the best oxbridge students may be better.

It is all very dependent, but often experience and extra-curricular are more important than university reputation, especially because they change all the time i.e. Nottingham during the 1990s was strong top 6, and was about 8th in 2008 i believe but that fact that our uni dissolved the board of people who focused on league table rankings, a few false reports/stereotypes of gun crime putting off potentially smart students and how the university has expanded its undergrad places opposed to post grad spots (unlike many other unis) has seen a slight dip recently as they are forced to lower entry grades to fill spaces. Every uni goes through these phases, it wasn't long ago when Durham was struggling to get top 15 and tbh most people in recruitment positions attended university around the times nottingham was up there at the top thus automatically consider it there still.

If you have any questions about the uni in general though hit me up
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, well the big four (and other firms) have a huge presence on campus. They are always hosting booths and sponsoring societies. Nottingham Entrepreneurial society has some very close ties with EY and you get a good range of people there for networking.

Obviously LinkedIn is nice for a general idea of things, but don't take it for word all the time Everyone has different opinions on it, some say as long as your russel group its fine not matter where, many prefer nottingham grads to oxbirdge as they are "more rounded people" i.e. not trapped in a bubble and better people skills which is important in consulting. But then for jobs where they just need to sit behind a desk all day the best oxbridge students may be better.

It is all very dependent, but often experience and extra-curricular are more important than university reputation, especially because they change all the time i.e. Nottingham during the 1990s was strong top 6, and was about 8th in 2008 i believe but that fact that our uni dissolved the board of people who focused on league table rankings, a few false reports/stereotypes of gun crime putting off potentially smart students and how the university has expanded its undergrad places opposed to post grad spots (unlike many other unis) has seen a slight dip recently as they are forced to lower entry grades to fill spaces. Every uni goes through these phases, it wasn't long ago when Durham was struggling to get top 15 and tbh most people in recruitment positions attended university around the times nottingham was up there at the top thus automatically consider it there still.

If you have any questions about the uni in general though hit me up
    Ah, that's great! I've taken a look at some of the careers fair exhibitors and the Bulge Brackets + Big 4 seem to be very well represented.

Yeah, I know it's much more about the individual applicant rather than the university. Thankfully, I've got some decent 'building a startup' experience and some more extra curriculars - hopefully I can gain even more experience/exposure to interesting societies at Notts.

Hahahaha, I've heard the same. In fact, I've been using that explanation to others considering Notts! I feel they do need to give domestic league tables a vkt more attention than they have been - it's a very big (although it shouldn't be) factor for some students.

I know a few people at BCG and McKinsey, so I'll be asking them for advice when application seems comes around for me.

Hopefully I see you on campus in September! I might be sending a few PMs your way - at least after exams!

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.