Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How can I speak confidently without sounding fake? Watch

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I have a major problem with my confidence, like when I talk to new people (especially people older than me or in an interview) I try and speak slower and clearer in order not to stutter and keep saying "ummm" but it sounds so fake and like I'm trying too hard (my voice sounds different and slightly unnatural) How can I improve this?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I would suggest is practising your public speaking as often as you can.

ReputationRep:
    have to agree there ^ just practice talking in public. even asking random people for directions ( even if you don't need them ) it helps.

ReputationRep:
    be yourself! Try caring less about what other people will think about you and you will become confident!

(Original post by phunky_fresh)
    The only thing I would suggest is practising your public speaking as often as you can.
    (Original post by AnnaMossy)
    have to agree there ^ just practice talking in public. even asking random people for directions ( even if you don't need them ) it helps.
    thanks, I'll try that

ReputationRep:
    I am the same but the opposite way round hahah. I am way more confident talking to older people (they actually tend to be less judgmental so don't be nervous around them!) On the other hand I get all flustered talking to people I don't know my own age and go red sometimes, especially when I want to make a good impression.

It's terrible being like this and I understand how annoying it can be in day to day life and stuff. You just need to practice more like the people said above. I would also maybe just try being a bit more chatty with them, don't worry about professionalism. Unless the interview is serious. For most interviews I have been to though or people I have chatted too I just try to be bubbly and humorous and they seem to accept me a lot easier. This makes me feel a lot more confident and happier too!

Hopefully this is of some help or use Good luck gaining confidence, it will come with time. Just be patient and stick at it

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 10, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.