Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Uni students.. What laptop do you have? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a 13" MacBook Air

And for those who have/prefer a desktop, why?

ReputationRep:
    11" Macbook Air

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo G580.

ReputationRep:
    You just come to show off your macbook eh?

Bill don't like that pal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    I have a 13" MacBook Air

I have a desktop.

Desktops are considerably better value when you compare like for like with laptops.

ReputationRep:
    13" Macbook Air and I love it. I've had it for around a year, and it's never failed me once.

ReputationRep:
    A HP pavilion g6, got it a few years ago. Poor thing is drying, not looking forward to having to scrape money together for a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gulbenkian02)
    13" Macbook Air and I love it. I've had it for around a year, and it's never failed me once.
    Just got mine quite recently. What's the battery life and speed like after a year? Also, how much of the 128GB storage have you used? Assuming that's the one you have

ReputationRep:
    Just got mine quite recently. What's the battery life and speed like after a year? Also, how much of the 128GB storage have you used? Assuming that's the one you have
    I've used about 100GB and had to get a hard drive to transfer stuff over, if I could have afforded it, I would have gone for way more storage but it's not such a big issue if you just use it for Uni etc.
    The battery life for me right now is about 7-9hours depending on how much I'm using it during the day, for example I charged it 100% last night and have been using it on and off since, I'm on 24% now so it's perfect. My last laptop literally lasted about 20seconds and died haha.

The speed is still the same as when I bought it. I honestly could buy another one right now and there wouldn't be much difference!

ReputationRep:
    13" MacBook Pro! Best thing I've ever bought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    128 GB? How do you survive? Even routinely clearing out my hard drive I have 700 GB used up. About another 350 GB between consoles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    128 GB? How do you survive? Even routinely clearing out my hard drive I have 700 GB used up. About another 350 GB between consoles.
    Going to get a 1TB external hard drive 700GB!? What do you store on there?

ReputationRep:
    Desktop because i can actually do something on it aswell as being able to run more than just Office and Calculator.

ReputationRep:
    Going to get a 1TB external hard drive 700GB!? What do you store on there?
    roughly:
    programs-80
    games/mods-420
    photos-25
    windows-45
    VMs-20
    documents-10
    backups-40

Then there's loads of random stuff such as datasets, saved games and drivers etc. that are in folders of 5 GB or less but they all add up. Saved game data is an issue. I have a habit of saving a game every 5-10 min, so for games that I play a lot I can quickly accumulate gigs worth of saves that eventually I'll clear out. The only game I remember this being an issue was Skyrim stops working completely on consoles if you have over 15 GB of saved games.
    I just found a few things to delete and now I'm on 680 GB.

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pro 15 inch, got it last November and haven't looked back since switching from windows

I use photoshop etc. heavily and it can cope fine, I have had to purchase a laptop fan tray as it gets very hot when charging and going heavy tasks but it works a treat and not had a problem since.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo Flex 2 14inch.
    6GB Ram
    i5
    128GB SSD
    Super lightweight and very sleek so it's easy to travel with. Definitely recommend it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have custom built gaming pc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    13 inch MacBook Pro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hp pavilion

ReputationRep:
    I have a 13" MacBook Air

I have an Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro - Black Edition, but I'm not going to be lugging that around on campus everyday.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.