Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hey all, pretty much i am wanting to leave university and have been wanting to since before christmas. I decided to wait until the near the end as i thought that would be the better option. I am just unsure of what the protocol is with withdrawing and how it affects me financially. I heard that universities take a percentage of the annual tuition fee depending on how late you withdraw.. but if all the tuition fees have been already paid does that mean that i would still have to pay ?.

    Pretty much at the moment im not attending university of taking any of the tests as i really dont see a point if im not going to stay on the course. Its a complete waste of time and money.

    Im just asking does anyone know how it all goes down or do i just have to wait until the academic year is over instead of withdrawing at the moment ?

    Well it may depend on your university itself but you should be able to withdraw at any time- you're an adult and this is a free country. I don't know what year of your degree you're in but when I withdrew halfway through my first year, all I pretty much did was contact the university and explain my situation- you could probably go to your personal tutor as your first port of call. All they really asked was my reasons and I think I remember filling out some kind of form relating to withdrawal and return my student card/key.

    In terms of the fees, they will be repayable depending on how many years of study you've done anyway. So, in my situation, I owe back the cost of one year but I don't owe them for the second or third year because I withdrew. Contact student finance if you're unsure or if my explanation doesn't make sense. But the main thing is that you should be fine to drop out whenever you want. You don't have to wait 'til the end of the academic year.

    If you wait until just before the start of the next academic year, then you shouldn't be asked for immediate repayment of your Maintenance Loan. Your third instalment is calculated to help support you over the summer, so if you drop out earlier you will be asked to repay the amount which was supposed to cover you after the date of your withdrawal and before the first payment of the next academic year.
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.