Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why do people want to leave the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The simple fact is that EU immigration is imperative to our economy. They bring in significantly more money than they take out. They're significantly less likely to claim benefits, they're significantly more educated (including those from A10 countries such as Poland, Slovkia, etc.), and they make a positive net contribution.

The only people making a net negative contribution (and a ****ing huge one at that) are the British native population.

Right now the UK is an absolute joke. A huge proportion of the population voting UKIP and trying to make demands of the EU when, in reality, the EU is the only reason we're staying afloat. Everyone in Europe knows that leaving the EU would destroy us, and they probably find it hilarious.

I'm really just wondering why these people keep insisting the exact opposite of what the real, solid facts show. What do you honestly hope to achieve by leaving the EU? Because the reality is, the only people abusing the welfare system are the British natives - it's just far easier to scapegoat someone else than accept the real problem and deal with it.

UKIP have blatantly lied to you. They're fearmongerers. If you think they're a bastion of honest truth wanting to make a real difference, you've got a very warped perspective.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Because of the sovereignty issues associated with a foreign body having such interference in the making of our laws. Thinks like the Common Agricultural Policy desperately need to change. And then you have the TTIP "trade agreement" which is basically a corporate power grab that will give big business even more influence over government than they already do.

I would need some pretty major reforms to the EU before I would want to stay in. And not every Euroskeptic is a UKIPer whose main concern is immigration.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one fearmongering, EU cuckold.

ReputationRep:
    HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "They bring in significantly more money than they take out." Are you sure of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xzerzes)
    HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "They bring in significantly more money than they take out." Are you sure of that?
    Yes.

Attached Images

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Yes.

So over 14 years they brought in £25bn according to this study, during the same time how much exactly did we throw at the EU to be a part of it? A hell of a lot more than £25bn.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

So over 14 years they brought in £25bn according to this study, during the same time how much exactly did we throw at the EU to be a part of it? A hell of a lot more than £25bn.

Let me guess, your next trick will be to pull the free trade, well, I've already addressed that here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ukip talking about eu isn't scaremongering, it's talking facts, figures and sense. I tell you what is scaremongering, the anti tory stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Let me guess, your next trick will be to pull the free trade, well, I've already addressed that here.
    You say that as if bringing in £25bn isn't much. That's about £640bn more than British natives. I don't think we've put anything close to £640bn into the EU.

I don't know if you realize or not, but we also directly receive money back from the EU. They funded the construction of British flood defences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Ukip talking about eu isn't scaremongering, it's talking facts, figures and sense. I tell you what is scaremongering, the anti tory stuff.
    What facts? I'm genuinely curious. Because the only facts I've seen show that we benefit a hell of a lot from being in the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What facts? I'm genuinely curious. Because the only facts I've seen show that we benefit a hell of a lot from being in the EU.
    the 25million a day cost, the increased immigration, countries which are in our area but out of eu doing better.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You say that as if bringing in £25bn isn't much. That's about £640bn more than British natives. I don't think we've put anything close to £640bn into the EU.

I don't know if you realize or not, but we also directly receive money back from the EU. They funded the construction of British flood defences.
    But it isn't much for two reasons.
    1) that 640bn loss is down to government policy, not the people
    2) that 25bn is not dependent on EU membership
    3) If we suppose that it is dependent in EU membership it is more than offset by the monies that had to be paid in to the EU to get that, we paid in something like £100bn in that same time. If I offered to give you £25 if you gave me £100 would you say that's a good deal?

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that over 60% of our trade is with EU countries? And please don't tell me that the UK doesn't need the EU. We are tiny. China, India and other big emerging markets only bother with us because we are in the EU and have low corporation tax rates; the UK is the largest tax haven in the world. 63 million people in a population of nearly 8 billion? That's 0.8%. Nearly nothing. English is only the world's lingua franca because of the USA, and they have bigger issues than making us matter in the world. If we leave the EU, London will lose its power as the financial capital of the world to New York City or Frankfurt, even. Euro-sceptics act as if the UK is important, but it's not. The Great British Empire is dead, look what happened to Spain and Portugal. They used to own South America and parts of Africa, they used to have power over them, now the former colonies have power over them: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...angola-invests http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanie...latin-america/
    Face it, we are no longer the mighty ruler we once were, nor is Europe. If we want to still matter, we must work together , otherwise we shall become negligent to the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    the 25million a day cost, the increased immigration
    But those immigrants brought in £640bn more than British natives did over 11 years. 25 million per day for 11 years is £99bn. If I could pay £99 to get £640 in return, I'd be happy to do it.

That's not even counting the indirect economic benefits and the money we receive back directly from the EU to fund research, flood defences, etc.

countries which are in our area but out of eu doing better.

But there are also countries in the EU doing better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    You do realise that over 60% of our trade is with EU countries? And please don't tell me that the UK doesn't need the EU. We are tiny. China, India and other big emerging markets only bother with us because we are in the EU and have low corporation tax rates; the UK is the largest tax haven in the world. 63 million people in a population of nearly 8 billion? That's 0.8%. Nearly nothing. English is only the world's lingua franca because of the USA, and they have bigger issues than making us matter in the world. If we leave the EU, London will lose its power as the financial capital of the world to New York City or Frankfurt, even. Euro-sceptics act as if the UK is important, but it's not. The Great British Empire is dead, look what happened to Spain and Portugal. They used to own South America and parts of Africa, they used to have power over them, now the former colonies have power over them: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...angola-invests http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanie...latin-america/
    Face it, we are no longer the mighty ruler we once were, nor is Europe. If we want to still matter, we must work together , otherwise we shall become negligent to the world.
    What makes you say that?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Surely we just need somebody to come up with the *actual* figures for money in versus money out on the EU. It's hard to say either way until that happens, and I for one have never seen them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    What makes you say that?
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/...xit-britain-eu
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/banks-...pe-2014-8?r=US
    And many more
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    English isn't the world's lingua franca because of the US, it's because for all intent TS and every country in the world has felt the influence of England and a massive portion had English become the language of the upper classes and government, anybody that wanted to do well needed to know English

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    English isn't the world's lingua franca because of the US, it's because for all intent TS and every country in the world has felt the influence of England and a massive portion had English become the language of the upper classes and government, anybody that wanted to do well needed to know English

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's being maintained by the US. In a few decades, it could be Chinese Mandarin, Spanish or even Portuguese.

ReputationRep:
    It's being maintained by the US. In a few decades, it could be Chinese Mandarin, Spanish or even Portuguese.
    No it won't.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.