Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

LSE chances + uni questions - US applicant Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking 4 AP exams this month, SAT Chemistry in June, and planning to retake the SAT in October this year...I'm also going to be studying for 3 or 4 other AP exams over the summer so I'm better prepared for next year's exams in May. I'm also planning on taking Math II (the SAT subject exam) in November.

Saying I do well on AP Stats and AP Macro this year (I've taken Psych and Bio as well, but I'm not sure if I'll get 5s) and have a really great score on my SATs (aiming for 2300+) would that be enough for Oxford or LSE to give me a conditional offer?

And I was also wondering what other schools were considered to have a really good reputation in the UK...I've heard good things about UCL but I'm not sure how great it stands in terms of getting jobs; I've heard a lot of negative reviews about Cass but a couple of good things.

Thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You haven't said what degree you will be applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry! I'm planning to take economics
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, well its not really possible to 'chance' you, especially not for Oxford because so much depends on your interview performance and your Thinking Skills Assessment score. All British universities have very detailed entry requirements listed on their websites - if you meet those entry requirements then yes you have a chance, beyond that there's not much anyone can say.

ReputationRep:
    So if my scores were 4s and 5s (and 700+ for SATs) all mixed together (for relevant subjects and other subjects like biology, chemistry, etc) were submitted, would that be okay for consideration?

And the TSA can sort of shift how much of a chance you have for the interview right?

I've gone onto the websites and looked at requirements, but I was just curious as to how strict schools like LSE are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kavsraman)
    So if my scores were 4s and 5s (and 700+ for SATs) all mixed together (for relevant subjects and other subjects like biology, chemistry, etc) were submitted, would that be okay for consideration?

And the TSA can sort of shift how much of a chance you have for the interview right?

I've gone onto the websites and looked at requirements, but I was just curious as to how strict schools like LSE are.
    I don't know if you've seen this:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informati...uirements.aspx

From a quick glance at AP requirements, LSE want five grade 5's including Calculus BC. They appear to be relatively dismissive of SATs.

LSE are strict.

ReputationRep:
    I have, which is why I asked...if I got 4s on anything they wouldn't even consider it right? I was planning on taking APUSH, calc BC, microeconomics, and English lit & comp next year so I could get those fives (since I'd start studying over the summer, I doubt I'd get anything less).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kavsraman)
    I have, which is why I asked...if I got 4s on anything they wouldn't even consider it right? I was planning on taking APUSH, calc BC, microeconomics, and English lit & comp next year so I could get those fives (since I'd start studying over the summer, I doubt I'd get anything less).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wouldn't have thought so. LSE are notoriously tough.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be okay for me to send them the scores I have and let them know through UCAS that I'm taking the other exams in the following year? I'm not sure if that'd give them an impression that I am working hard.

I was also wondering what kind of reputation UCL and Warwick have in London. Would major companies offer jobs to people coming out of those schools as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.