The Student Room Group

Business Unit 1 M3 an D2

Has anyone done Business Unit 1 M3 an D2 that they can help me with, at the moment I am really stock I have no idea what to do for it. Help would be very appreciated. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Could you please let me know the titles of these assignments and then hopefully I will be able to help you.

I just want to check that they are the same titles that I had to complete

Thanks

Reece
Reply 3
I have put down the titles of these assignments below.

M3 Analyse how political, legal and social factors have impacted on the two contrasting organisations

D2 evaluate how future changes in economic political, legal and social factors, may impact on the strategy of a specified organisation.

Thanks
Here is some information on what I did on these two assignments

M3 Analyse how Political, legal and social factors have impacted on two contrasting organisation

Political - Political policies are currently always being introduced such as new taxes being introduced, new schemes to help increase markets etc.. You will need to find new policies that have been introduced that could or will affect the two businesses you have picked. We have just recently had the new election last week, you could have a look at their manifestos and see how their proposed policies could have an impact on the businesses.

NHS - for example a lot of the parties wants to keep GP's open for long periods and to open at the weekend. You need to analyse the impact that this is going to have such as increased costs are staff are going to need to hired to cover the extra shifts, however this could put less pressure on the hospitals such as A and E as people will be able to go to their GP's.

Morrisons - Labour party suggested that they will increase minimum wage to £8 an hour. This will affect Morrisons as they will have to increase the wages of their staff which will increase costs which means that Morrisons will have to make cuts elsewhere which could mean that the quality of service that Morrisons are giving could be decreased.

Legal - In this section you need to find new laws that have been introduced where the business may have changed to suit the new laws or you might use where the business has broken the law and what impact this had on the business.

NHS - Scandal at Stafford hospital where more patients than expected died. An official investigation was set up to see whether laws were being followed and whether anyone was accountable for the deaths that occurred during this scandal.

Morrisons - Sunday trading laws means that the supermarket can only open for 6 hours on a Sunday, however people have been campaigning to get rid of this law so supermarkets can open for as long as they want during Sunday. This will impact Morrisons as they might have hire more staff in order to cater for the longer opening times that they are going to have.

Social - Look at social policies in place or any social trends that are occurring at the moment which could have an impact on the business.

NHS - increase living age which means that there are more older people living within the UK. This will put more pressure on the NHS as they will have more people to deal with and therefore they might have to employ more doctors to work at the hospitals.

Morrisons - People shifts are no longer the traditional 9-5 shifts, and means that their work patterns could impact when they could go shopping. Therefore Morrisons have responded by having online shopping which means that they customer can do the shopping at any time of day which suits their needs. However by introducing this it is going to need more resources in order to complete this.

M3 is a lot easier to talk about the social factors that affect these organisations, so therefore I would go into more details in looking at that section for the two businesses and then bring the other two into it. Also it would probably increase the quality of the work if you find articles of websites such as BBC news to help back up what you are saying. There are some brief ideas to help you make a start, if you need anymore help just let me know, it might help if you let me know which businesses you are relating this work to.
D2 - Evaluate how future changes in economic, political, legal and social factors, may impact on the strategy of a specified organisation

This was all related to the NHS, for ideas of political, legal and social factors, you can use ideas for M3 to draw up and will need to focus more on how it will affect the strategy. This therefore means that in an opening paragraph,it would be best for you write the strategy of the organisation that you are using.

With the economic factors you will need to look at the GDP rate and then evaluate how this will affect the organisation, the same needs to also be done with the inflation rate and then the unemployment rate and just state how this will affect the organisation.

Hope this helps and if anymore help is required just let me know and I will do my best to help you
Reply 6
First of all thank you so much for the help on theses tasks, I really appreciate it.

Also my chosen organisations for both of these assignments are Ford (car company) and a Secondary school. I now understand what I need to do for M3 but I am still a little confused about D2, do you think you could help me on how I can do the task in relation to Ford or a secondary school.

Thanks
D2 - Evaluate how future changes in economic, political, legal and social factors, may impact on the strategy of a specified organisation

So with this one you are just relating to one of those two businesses, I don't know which you will find easiest but my suggestion would be to go with Ford as there will be a lot more information out there about this company.

Firstly I would go onto the Ford website and look for what their main strategy, there is lots of information out there for Ford because I have just used them for an assignment at Uni.

Then I would answer the following questions on each section based on the impact of their strategy.

Economic - GDP Rate is 0.5% at the moment (can be found on the BBC website). This therefore means that we are no longer in a recession which means that we have a better economy. This is good as people are more likely to have a higher disposable income (Spare income after paying bills) which means that people might save up for a new car etc. With the economy also doing better it means that money might be easier to get on credit (e.g. loans etc.) and therefore they will be able to buy a car.

Unemployment Rate - Lots of articles on BBC website that shows that unemployment rate has fallen which means that it is good for the economy, however will this be beneficial for Ford. When unemployment rate is high, more applications for jobs with people with higher skills, which allows ford to be more picky when hiring. How will this help their strategy?

Inflation Rate - Inflation rate droped from 0.5% to 0.3%. This shows a slight decrease which means that prices of goods have decreased. Therefore cars prices are more likely to have dropped very slightly, how will this impact the strategy.

The Economics section can be quite difficult, so some independent research maybe required to help understand some of the stuff I have put up there and to be able to evaluate the figures.

Political - With the political section I would have a look at some of the policies that you mentions in the M3 such as the increase of min wage etc. But this time evaluate what impact that this is going to have on the strategy of ford.

Legal -
The case on the ford pinto could be seen to raise a few legal issues. Have a read of this link (
http://www.corporatenarc.com/fordpintoscandal.php) This gives a brief description of what was involved in the scandal. This will have a direct impact on their strategy!

You could research into any new requirements that cars have to have within their model (I think somewhere i have heard that new cars have to have lights on the front of the car that are on all the time, but not 100% sure about this) this will affect the production method of ford.

Social -More people are learning to drive every day which is down to the increase in population. This will therefore have an increase in demand for cars. How will this impact the strategy?

Changes to structure in families - does this mean that ford need to create more family cars to suit the needs of families ?

Hope this helps a little better, you need to focus on evaluating it, looking at the advantages and disadvantages that these different policies are going to have on the strategy of ford. It will always be a good idea to include references to articles as these will help the strengthen the piece of work.

If you need any more help with this piece of work or any other unit just let me know :smile:

Reply 8
That has been very helpful. Thank you
once I have done it do you think I can send it you to check it before I submit it to my teacher.
I am glad that those pointers have helped, Yes I would be happy to check through the work before you submit :smile:

Just let me know when you have completed it
hi, i am on the exact same extended business studies course and stuck on the same question. i have to do tesco and NHS, would anyone be able to help me with this??? if so i would be much appreciated, thanks yasmin
Hi,

I would be happy to help you, but could you be a bit more specific on what you would like help with. There is help with the NHS and Morrison's above. The Morrisons pointers will be very similar for Tesco's as well.

If it is D2 that you are struggling just let me know and I will write some pointers for it

Thanks

Reece
Original post by nottreece
Hi,

I would be happy to help you, but could you be a bit more specific on what you would like help with. There is help with the NHS and Morrison's above. The Morrisons pointers will be very similar for Tesco's as well.

If it is D2 that you are struggling just let me know and I will write some pointers for it

Thanks

Reece

Hi
please could you give points about Morrison concerning Political and Legal Factors for D2
thanks. sarah
I currently work for Morrison's so this fits in very nicely and can give some real life examples in order to explain this.

For legal reasons, Morrisons have increased the wage rate for its employees. This is to fit in with the minimum wage and living wage. So morrisons is raising its wage from around 6.60 per hour to around 8.20 an hour in order to fit in with new legislation that is going to come into affect soon. You can go onto to talk about how this is going to affect Morrison's as it is going to increase the labour cost for the business, so how are they going to deal with this?

For Political Reasons, you could also mention the above about the minimum wage going up because it is down to political reasons that this was introduced and therefore this has affected Morrison's. You could also talk about maybe the tax that Morrison's have to pay. There are not many political factors that are affecting Morrison's at the moment.

If you would like me to read through any piece of work or would like me to help you at all in any other way, then feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help you

Hope this helps!
Hi,

Thanks

Reece

Is it alright if I can read through your M3 and D2? It's not the same as mine as our school is doing a different way but I feel it slightly the same but not overall! I want to see if there are any useful information I can use and change into my own words! Plus I want to get an idea on how yours is like and written out. You can pm me or send on here?
Original post by LemonadeAspire
Is it alright if I can read through your M3 and D2? It's not the same as mine as our school is doing a different way but I feel it slightly the same but not overall! I want to see if there are any useful information I can use and change into my own words! Plus I want to get an idea on how yours is like and written out. You can pm me or send on here?

I currently haven't got it on me as I am at university and all my work from Sixth Form is at home. However if you would like to send me yours I can give it a read through and see if you are on the right lines and see if I can give you any pointers to help you.
I currently haven't got it on me as I am at university and all my work from Sixth Form is at home. However if you would like to send me yours I can give it a read through and see if you are on the right lines and see if I can give you any pointers to help you.

Haha i will when I'm nearly finished with it :smile: What you studying? and can you actually get into university with a BTEC level 3 business qualification? :redface:
Also what did you get in at A level for this subject?
Reply 17
I'm doing level 3 Btec business diploma second if has done plz help me give me message thank soo much

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:
Original post by LemonadeAspire
Haha i will when I'm nearly finished with it :smile: What you studying? and can you actually get into university with a BTEC level 3 business qualification? :redface:
Also what did you get in at A level for this subject?

I am currently studying BA Business at Nottingham Trent Univeristy. My sixth form background included achieving triple D* in Level 3 BTEC Business, a B in A Level ICT and an A in EPQ. However I know students that managed to get into univeristy with just the BTEC Level 3 business.

If you need my email address to send any work to it, just PM and I will let you have it. Also if you need any help with anything business related or university related then feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending