Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    For the ions question I wrote the ions so like I wrote Fe+2 instead of Iron (II) will that matter?

And are metal oxides bases or alkalis? I
    Put base?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    Ha!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ov...ml%3B451%3B224

We're right, aren't we?
    We are indeed!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Grade Boundaries would be slightly lower than last year for both:
    Unit 2 : 46/60 A*
    Unit 3: 44/60 A*

The problem with Unit 3 was that some of the questions were either know it or not.

Did anyone else get Sulfuric Acid as the catalyst to make Ethyl Ethanoate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewiswallis)
    i wrote that all metal oxides are alkali, is that wrong???
    Technically your answer is correct, metal oxides and metal hydroxides dissolve in water. Therefore they are soluble compounds which are alkalis!
    They neutralise with acids.

Acid + Metal Oxide ->> Salt + Water

ReputationRep:
    No I got that answer too!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    yo im tellin u postin graid bawnderees dont maik mee clvr u havnt seeen hao meni sili mistaiks i maid.

For example, I had no clue when I came to the question which asked how the scientist could find the concentration of barium sulfate (or was it barium hydroxide?). I don't like questions which give you loads of information about the method of the experiment, so I answered this last. All I could think of was that the yield of the reaction is never 100% so this affects the calculation of the concentration. I also put 'carbon dioxide' instead of hydrogen as the gas released in the reaction between sodium and ethanol, because I was most likely thinking of the reaction of ethanol and oxygen instead. There are also many two mark questions on ammonia, and I don't know whether what I've written qualifies for two marks or one mark.

I'm still remaining hopeful that the grade boundaries will be low.

Hahaha honestly I don't think anyone had a clue on that 5 marker. I said stuff like more accurate and sensitive for titration, however more expensive, require indicator, subjective as to when reaction finished, burette for example could be dangerous (sharp). Then method 1 I said less sensitive, easier, however more steps where human error could go wrong e.g. filtration, subjective as to when all solid has formed, stuff like that can't remember really!

One marker questions not a big deal, I did that I said boiling point decreases in halogens because iodine is a liquid for example.... how bloody stupid! I really should have re read my answer as I would've probably picked up on that XD I loved the ammonia questions, hopefully it will be two marks for both of us

(Original post by Positivedani)
    Urgh I totally messed up the last page! It all started with the amount where I put 30cm, then I didn't read the graph properly so put 38degrees as the overall change! That means I got the Q=mcdeltaT question wrong, and then for the last question I had no clue so wrote the neutralisation reaction will releade the same amount of energy -.- that page will bring my grade right down ergh!
    i think it will be an error carried forward

ReputationRep:
    Omg I put Pb3O2 by accident I am such an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PawanAviator)
    We are indeed!
    That's good, considering that it seems like at least half the people got the other answer.

But then I made a few unforced errors myself as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewiswallis)
    i wrote that all metal oxides are alkali, is that wrong???
    nope...right if anything..I put that and my teach verified it sooo ..all gud!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hxzel)
    For the ions question I wrote the ions so like I wrote Fe+2 instead of Iron (II) will that matter?

Put base?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i put alkali damn but it was base

ReputationRep:
    For Metal Oxide I wrote base?

ReputationRep:
    Bit ridiculous was the composition of the c3 exam. 26 1 mark questions! 26!

ReputationRep:
    My predictions for grade boundaries for an a*
    B2 - 43
    B3 - 45
    C2 - 47
    C3 - 44

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RotomGuy)
    You keep saying that, but our teacher and my revision guide have never said alumina once. I think any of Alumina, Aluminium Oxide or Bauxite will net you the mark.
    well, i put bauxite :c

ReputationRep:
    pheW!!!!

(Original post by t.thompson22)
    Technically your answer is correct, metal oxides and metal hydroxides dissolve in water. Therefore they are soluble compounds which are alkalis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    For Metal Oxide I wrote base?
    So did i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPatr0nus)
    Omg I put Pb3O2 by accident I am such an idiot
    If u showed ur working out ull get sum marks anyway it was a 4 marker soo mebe three?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hxzel)

Put base?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think examiners will accept Fe2+

Metal oxides dissolve in water and neutralise acid in neutralisation reactions. Therefore they're soluble and they're alkalis. But bases will still net you the mark (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittensrcute)
    on the 5mark question in c3 where you had to evaluate the two methods what were points you could put? I had no understanding of method one and am so scared ive just lost all 5 marks
    I said, Method 1 was a precipitation reaction and Method 2 was a titration reaction. Also, in Method 1, some of the product is lost through filtration as it is left in the filtration paper and it is less accurate because you don't know how much of the reactants were being used. Method 2 was more accurate because you knew the concentration and volume of the reactants but you had to make sure that the solution was neutral otherwise it would not be an accurate calculation.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.